Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relics
Here's a relic both Mark Carr and I have found along some highway between Madisonville, TN and Tellico Plains, TN. It's sitting beside an apartment complex. Seems kinda out of place! Not real sure why its hanging out there.

Seven Cedars, ?? "X Engine 5"

19?? Ahrens Fox (First Ahrens Fox I've Ever Shot!!)

???/???

Job # ???? (Where is the data plate on A-F's?)

X: Mullins, SC

Andrew Messer Photo (2009)

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

I found this truck parked in a yard of a house near the Polk County/Monroe County, TN line. As I made a first drive-by to look at the truck, some kind of dog tried to kill me through the window, so I figured I'd better make a quick drive-by shooting of the rig and not attempt to get out for specs! I shot this pic from the road, so I was unable to get any numbers. The dog was almost visible in this pic, as it was standing on the side of the road trying its best to rip my throat in two. "E.F.D." almost visible on the front of the truck. Please tell me this looks familiar to someone! I know there were forty million ALF ladder trucks identical to this made, maybe this one has some identifying characteristics though!

UNKNOWN AGENCY

19?? ALF 700 Series

85' ALF Aerial

Reg. # ????

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Clemson University, SC "X Ladder 3"

1976 Seagrave SR20786

100' Seagrave Aerial

S/N # F-75102

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Marion, NC "X 302"

1947 Maxim 417

???/???

S/N # 1490

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

[quote name='Andrew2340' post='320225' date='Jul 10 2009, 14:27 ']I found this truck parked in a yard of a house near the Polk County/Monroe County, TN line. As I made a first drive-by to look at the truck, some kind of dog tried to kill me through the window, so I figured I'd better make a quick drive-by shooting of the rig and not attempt to get out for specs! I shot this pic from the road, so I was unable to get any numbers. The dog was almost visible in this pic, as it was standing on the side of the road trying its best to rip my throat in two. "E.F.D." almost visible on the front of the truck. Please tell me this looks familiar to someone! I know there were forty million ALF ladder trucks identical to this made, maybe this one has some identifying characteristics though!

UNKNOWN AGENCY

19?? ALF 700 Series

85' ALF Aerial

Reg. # ????

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=53317][/quote]

Philly had a few of these rigs. Believe the aerials were 85'. They called them the "Flying Wedges" due to the rear being 8" wider than the front.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
[quote name='Andrew2340' post='320197' date='Jul 10 2009, 13:45 ']Here's a relic both Mark Carr and I have found along some highway between Madisonville, TN and Tellico Plains, TN. It's sitting beside an apartment complex. Seems kinda out of place! Not real sure why its hanging out there.

Seven Cedars, ?? "X Engine 5"

19?? Ahrens Fox (First Ahrens Fox I've Ever Shot!!)

???/???

Job # ???? (Where is the data plate on A-F's?)

X: Mullins, SC

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=53296][/quote]

Andrew,

I checked my A-F book and this is the info on her:

1947 750 GPM Reg. # 9125 Model EC Operated as Eng. 1 Mullins, SC. Delivered December 23, 1947 Motor # 140133, sold to Seven Cedars FD, Heath Springs, SC where is was in service.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
The pump plate indicates that this unit was the 165th pump test in 1980.
[quote name='Andrew2340' post='320225' date='Jul 10 2009, 14:27 ']I found this truck parked in a yard of a house near the Polk County/Monroe County, TN line. As I made a first drive-by to look at the truck, some kind of dog tried to kill me through the window, so I figured I'd better make a quick drive-by shooting of the rig and not attempt to get out for specs! I shot this pic from the road, so I was unable to get any numbers. The dog was almost visible in this pic, as it was standing on the side of the road trying its best to rip my throat in two. "E.F.D." almost visible on the front of the truck. Please tell me this looks familiar to someone! I know there were forty million ALF ladder trucks identical to this made, maybe this one has some identifying characteristics though!

UNKNOWN AGENCY

19?? ALF 700 Series

85' ALF Aerial

Reg. # ????

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=53317][/quote]

Deep in the archives of the Gleitsmann Collection we have a slide of this unit serving in Etowah, Tennessee. I'll post it as soon as I have access to a scanner. The slide only has that it was a 1953 model.

[quote name='Andrew2340' post='320188' date='Jul 10 2009, 13:25 ']Here's a relic headed to a new home! This truck has recently been acquired by Gudger, TN as a 2nd engine for their agency. I was in the process of getting this truck posed when the firefighter on duty for Madisonville had to jump in Engine 3 and speed away for a wreck which ended up requiring a landing zone. Oh well, at least I got A picture of this truck!

Plympton, Mass. "X Engine 2"

1975 IHC FleetStar 2010-A/Farrar (First Farrar I've ever shot!)

1000/750

S/N # ??????

X: ???, TN (somewhere in Northeastern TN)

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=53288][/quote]

Man for a 75 this rig is still in great shape, considering it's 1st life was in the rust belt of the Northeast.
Quote:QUOTE (Andrew2340 @ Jul 10 2009, 13:27 )

I found this truck parked in a yard of a house near the Polk County/Monroe County, TN line. As I made a first drive-by to look at the truck, some kind of dog tried to kill me through the window, so I figured I'd better make a quick drive-by shooting of the rig and not attempt to get out for specs! I shot this pic from the road, so I was unable to get any numbers. The dog was almost visible in this pic, as it was standing on the side of the road trying its best to rip my throat in two. "E.F.D." almost visible on the front of the truck. Please tell me this looks familiar to someone! I know there were forty million ALF ladder trucks identical to this made, maybe this one has some identifying characteristics though!

UNKNOWN AGENCY

19?? ALF 700 Series

85' ALF Aerial

Reg. # ????

She's a 65-footer...keep 'em comin'!

Quote:Deep in the archives of the Gleitsmann Collection we have a slide of this unit serving in Etowah, Tennessee. I'll post it as soon as I have access to a scanner. The slide only has that it was a 1953 model.

I was at the station when I read this, so I couldn't look up the info until today. In the March, 1997 issue of FIRE SERVICE DIGEST was a column written by Jay Thompson called "Southern Drawls". In this particular issue, he did a feature bit on the Etowah FD, who purchased this 1953 ALF 700 Series 65' aerial in 1983. It was x-Miami, FL. Anyone know what happened to Jay? I haven't heard anything from him in several years.
[quote name='GA_Dave' post='320536' date='Jul 11 2009, 16:14 ']I was at the station when I read this, so I couldn't look up the info until today. In the March, 1997 issue of FIRE SERVICE DIGEST was a column written by Jay Thompson called "Southern Drawls". In this particular issue, he did a feature bit on the Etowah FD, who purchased this 1953 ALF 700 Series 65' aerial in 1983. It was x-Miami, FL. Anyone know what happened to Jay? I haven't heard anything from him in several years.[/quote]

Here she is:

Attached Files Image(s)

This relic is sitting behind Flint Hill,SC's station and is no longer in service.Andrew will have to help me out with the year and pump, I forgot to write it down.

Flint Hill,SC

Ex-Tanker 1

1960s Ford N850/SPATCO

?/2000

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
This one is kind of unique. It started as a military fuel truck then went to the SC Forestry dept where Arkwright VFD picked it up. It was then sold to an FD in New York where a Mack pump was added to the truck. Arkwright later found out they could not sell it because it belonged to the state of South Carolina as surplus equipment. So, they went to NY to pick the truck up and it is currently rotting away behind Arkwright's station.

Arkwright,SC

1970s? Dodge

?/?

Ex-Military

Micah Bodford
Fire Investigator
City of Winston-Salem Fire Dept.
Leave it to Arkwright to try and pull a stunt like that.
Massachusetts Port Authority (MASSPORT) Ex E-5 and 3 Ward Lafrance Crash Truck. Can be seen from Phoenix Ave in Lowell, Ma off Route 38 if anyone is interested.

Attached Files Image(s)

I found this one in a campground in Conway, NH. x-Center Conway Engine 1, 60's/70's IH Loadstar. No ID plates on it, but I'm SWAGging a Farrar body, 500 pump. It's now relegated to pulling the hayride, and has one of those old-style car alarm sirens fitted. Although stripped of equipment, it still had one 1 1/2 preconnect on board, so I'm guessing they may also use it for campfire patrol or other maintenance duties.

[Image: IMG_0373.JPG]

I have my eye on another Relic down on Route 16 in Albany today, but I only have my cell phone camera and I'm not sure if I can get close enough for a shot.
Radford Army Ammo Plant, VA "X Engine 47"

1989 Amertek 2500L

1000/660/???A

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Blue Grass Army Depot, KY "X Engine 5"

1989 Amertek 2500L

1000/660/???A

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Hopefully one of you New Yorkers will recognize this rig from her previous life. It served somewhere in New York, and was last inspected there in 2002, before being sold to Striggersville, TN. I looked everywhere for the minipumper body that came off this truck and turned up nothing.

Striggersville, TN "X 1107"

1962 Dodge 200/???

X: ???, NY

Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Found this old International/Hahn in VT I believe it is orginally from CT