Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Philadelphia, PA
[quote name='Fireman5230' date='05 October 2009 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1254793345' post='341127']

Jack any reason that Sq 402 is not in service as Sq 43 or 57??? Seams strange that a Squrt is sitting in a firehouse when 2 others are out of service with normal rigs and in service with regular Engines...

[/quote]

Squrt 43 is in service with Squrt 402 currently. Coincidentally they just got dispatched on a run lol.
Ron Trout

EMT-Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Emergency Transport Team

Phillyfirenews.com Staff Photographer

[Image: PFnlogo.jpg]

[url="http://WWW.PHILLYFIRENEWS.COM"]Phillyfirenews.com[/url]
[quote name='Fireman5230' date='05 October 2009 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1254793345' post='341127']

Jack any reason that Sq 402 is not in service as Sq 43 or 57??? Seams strange that a Squrt is sitting in a firehouse when 2 others are out of service with normal rigs and in service with regular Engines...

[/quote]

Engine 43 has been using Squrt 402 on the days it is not out of service due to mechanical issues. When the squrt is out of service 43's reverts back to the KME they were assigned.
Old Tower Ladder 18 a 1982 Mack CF 75ft Tower Ladder, now retired

Attached Files Image(s)

Philadelphia Fire Department Pipeline 18 used to run this 1991 Seagrave 1500/500 Pumper

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Philadelphia Ladder 21 used to run this 1982 Seagrave 100ft Rearmount Ladder Truck

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice photos, Matt.
Well, you were standing next to me when we took them, brings back good memories
ENGINE 19 FOUR WHEELING.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='JMPRECISION' date='09 October 2009 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1255110314' post='341755']

ENGINE 19 FOUR WHEELING.

[/quote]

Who manufactured the 1955 Mack B pumpers for Philadelphia? I believe they had six 1955 Mack B 750-gpm pumpers with ???-gallon tanks. That interesting black and white photo of Engine 19's 1955 Mack B sure doesn't look like a normal Mack-built fire body.
[quote name='firebuff55407' date='09 October 2009 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1255121131' post='341776']

Who manufactured the 1955 Mack B pumpers for Philadelphia? I believe they had six 1955 Mack B 750-gpm pumpers with ???-gallon tanks. That interesting black and white photo of Engine 19's 1955 Mack B sure doesn't look like a normal Mack-built fire body.

[/quote]

See page 5 post #95 for the Mack Factory photos of the B Macks
They were totally built by Mack, but I'm pretty sure the odd open pump controls were custom-ordered similarly to those of the 1949 Autocar pumpers. I heard from a reliable source that this made for easier maintenance than the standard closed pump panels.
I'm planning to drive up from Baltimore on Sunday 10/28 for the Philly Fire Muster @ the Philadelphia Fire Academy. Afterwards, I'll be taking my father to Amtrak @ 30th Street Station. What fire houses should we plan to stop at to take apparatus photos? Which ones have new and/or interesting apparatus, and which have decent apron space to pull rigs out? Does anyone have a PFD apparatus roster they can email me? Thanks for any suggestions.
Actually, the newest apparatus is always on display at the muster, so there would be no need to stop by any stations. I must say, however, that the Fire Academy is not the ideal location for that event, which would seem to benefit from much more space. Taking decent photos is virtually impossible unless drivers are willing to position vehicles at the end of the day. When Delaware Avenue (Columbus Boulevard) was used as the venue back in the 1980s, there was a much bigger turnout from fire companies and spectators alike. It was a real spectacle then. Something like this should really be close to Center City so it can be more appreciated.
[quote name='Old Battery' date='19 October 2009 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1255996732' post='343614']

Actually, the newest apparatus is always on display at the muster, so there would be no need to stop by any stations. I must say, however, that the Fire Academy is not the ideal location for that event, which would seem to benefit from much more space. Taking decent photos is virtually impossible unless drivers are willing to position vehicles at the end of the day. When Delaware Avenue (Columbus Boulevard) was used as the venue back in the 1980s, there was a much bigger turnout from fire companies and spectators alike. It was a real spectacle then. Something like this should really be close to Center City so it can be more appreciated.

[/quote]

Finding a venue closer to Center City with more space would be beneficial but it has been a problem in the past. The reason the Fire Academy is used is because the Fire Department controls it. Other locations have been looked at in the past but the management of those places will not guarantee the date. If a paying customer comes in and wants the date that is reserved for the muster, the party paying for the venue will get it, bumping the muster.
Thanks guys. Having been @ this event before I do realize that often the newest rigs are there, but I was hoping maybe there are a few that might not be.. i.e. maybe PFD took delivery of 4, or 5, or more of the same type of new apparatus and only 1 or 2 would be there. If anyone could post a list of the recent deliveries, or maybe a list of otherwise good stuff to shoot (specialized apparatus, unique rigs, etc), or even just a few ideas for good stations to visit (i.e. lots of apron room for shooting), that would be a big help, as we really don't know the city at all.
Not too many big aprons in Philly, but if you want to shoot one of the newest rigs, I would suggest Pipeline 50 (2009 KME, pictured), on Glenwood Ave. near Broad St. Other stations with larger aprons and interesting rigs include:

Foam 18 at Roosevelt Blvd. and Holme Ave. has a foam pumper and tender, but they will probably be at the muster.

Engine 16 at Belmont Ave. and Viola St. has a Freightliner/E-One rescue pumper, the only one in the city.

Engine 47 at 31st and Grays Ferry Ave. is a two-piece squad company.

Quint 69 at Bartram Ave. near Island Ave. (close to the airport) has the only quint in town, but it is frequently out of service.

Tower Ladder 22 at Front and Luzerne Sts. has a newer rig, and you might be able to shoot there in the morning, but that's a pretty busy intersection.

Good luck.

Attached Files Image(s)

Rescue 1 1926 ALF

[Image: 4075149041_964b297542_b.jpg]
RESCUE 1 1941 WARD

[Image: 4075825380_ee879747cb_b.jpg]
ENGINE 50 1959 INTERNATIONAL BEAN

[Image: 4148418468_46bcff9b1b_o.jpg]
LADDER 17 1950 65' ALF MIDMOUNT. 1 OF 5

[Image: 4130918759_abe2e93834_o.jpg]