Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Louis Metro
Great pictures Evan, were all these reserve units being used at the time you were there or did you request to shoot them instead of the main units?

Scott
It wouldnt surprise me if all the reserves were inservice. This past weekend was also the funeral for SLMPD Officer J. Moore who passed away from his injuries following an MVA while enroute to a call. The frontline units may have been at the funeral detail and the reserves filling in? Thats just a guess. But again, wouldnt be surprised if that many frontline Smeals were OOS.

Nice shots out in the sun. Did you only buff the StLFD or did you make it out to the burbs?
sorry double post.
Those 1987's must be getting tired. Look a bit beat up, but held up well w/ heavy use for 20+ years.
please visit my website at www.karlsfirephotos.smugmug.com
These reserves are all in service as frontline except for foam truck 1. Pumper 26 is running reserve 134 permanently because their rig caught fire inside the engine house a couple of weeks back. pumper 24 arrived and said they had a pumper fully involved and they needed a still. I heard the call go out and i called my dad immediately. it was around 11:30 p.m. dont remember what day. looks like the 27's are running reserve LTI 106, and pumper 10 is running reserve 131, their rig was totaled in 2008 when they and the 28's in reserver Pierce 122 collided on their way to a vacant house fire.
10's should be getting 12's smeal when the new H&L goes in service. But everything is getting tired down here.
Yes, as the St. Louis guys have said, these units, with the exception of Foam Truck 1, were reserves being used in frontline service. Also, considering we only had one day of sun, we stuck to only city stuff.
St. Louis Ladder 6

1996 E\-One Hurricane

1500/150/105' TL

-Evan Smith Photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

St. Louis FD Foam Truck 4

1981 Ford C/Darley

1000/840F/450 PKP/400 CO2

-Evan Smith Photo

St. Louis Ladder 40

1989 Spartan/1990 LTI

1500/300/12F/110' RM

-Evan Smith Photo

*This rig is usually assigned to Lambert-St. Louis Airport, however, when we shot it, it was being kept as a reserve at Station 2 in downtown

nice job! did you guys get around to the shops? My dad works there and i am a frequent guest down there! Come to think of it i saw a couple of guys with cameras as i walked out of the bathroom when i was there the other day.
[quote name='Steve Loftin' date='29 October 2009 - 07:41 AM' timestamp='1256818918' post='345100']

Was this girl new to the SLFD, or bought used? If bought used, from where?

[/quote]

I believe it was ex-monsanto chemical here in st. louis.
[quote name='Ben' date='28 October 2009 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1256785484' post='345086']

nice job! did you guys get around to the shops? My dad works there and i am a frequent guest down there! Come to think of it i saw a couple of guys with cameras as i walked out of the bathroom when i was there the other day.

[/quote]

Yes, as a matter of fact, we ended up spending a great deal of time at Station 2/the shops this past Saturday.
St. Louis FD Foam Truck 3

1987 Pierce Arrow/2002 FD Shops

1500/500/250F/50' Tele-squrt

-Evan Smith Photo

St Louis FD Reserve Eng. 102 @ Eng. 32

1987 KME/LTI

1500/400/12F/75'

-Evan Smith Photo

St. Louis FD Water Rescue Unit

-Evan Smith Photo

St. Louis FD Squad 1

2002 Spartan/2003 SVI

-Evan Smith Photo

I assume the reserve rigs are kept at the shops when not in use, but where are Foam Unit 1, 3 and 4 stored? How do they respond with regard to cross-staffing, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Some reserves are kept at the shop but most of what we have left are spread out around the city in other engine houses. We have only a dozen or so reserve "pumpers". One, soon to be 2 spare H&L's. One of the hazmat trucks dubbs as the Reserve Squad. And we have around a dozen reserve ambulances as the frontlines go down quite often.

FT 1 is kept @ the 20's engine house.

FT 3 is kept @ the 31's engine house.

FT 4 is kept @ the 2's engine house.

The crew on the pumper would take the foam truck. They may only go on 1 or 2 calls a year anyhow.

We also "found" some bond issue money and Ive heard that there are funds for 6-9 straight pumpers.

The new Medic Units are going in service. My truck has been on the road for 2 weeks. Ill try to get it out for photos tomorrow if the sun comes out like Annie said it would.
Outstanding information...I appreciate it.

So if ya'll go with straight pumpers then are straight, true trucks coming next?
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com