Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tour of New Jersey
Thanks for the photos of the rigs from Middlebush and Hightstown. My great uncle was chief at Middlebush and I used to live near the Hightstown firehouse..
What I post is my opinion only. Any questions or concerns, feel free to email me. If you like what you see with a photo or have a question, let me know.

Stay Safe!

Woody Woodward

FD Photographer

Rohrerstown Fire Company, Station 6-7

Lancaster PA

www.67fire.com
[quote name='promike' date='25 May 2010 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1274786779' post='383614']

That always bugged me ... Montague got to have the logo for High Point , yet Colesville is actually a lot closer to the park . It is amazing how territories are divided . Luckily the park does not have any major structures , just lots of beautiful sights . Also thank goodness for mutual aid . As long as one of Montague's chiefs makes it to the scene they can call for another department that is closer for support . For many years Montague had a contract with Port Jervis to respond automatically on calls to its borders , but now they stand on their own feet . They have come a long way ...

[/quote]

According to Wikipedia "Montague Township was supposedly named after the George Montagu, 4th Duke of Manchester, as suggested by King George II, who approved the royal patent on March 26, 1759.[4] Montague was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial group of 104 townships by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798." My guess is that the boundary line might follow the top of the mountain ridge.

About ten years ago on a weekend afternoon the family and I were heading up the mountain on NJ 23 from Port Jervis. At the base, a state trooper passed us "code 3" and when we approached the top, 4 miles southbound, we could see heavy black smoke. Traffic was stopped with us noticing a flaming car that had been going north at the top of the downhill side. My wife being an RN and a first aider walked up to help while I as a fire police officer I flagged traffic. About 20 minutes later the Montague FD arrived after travelling a distance that I estimate to be at least 7 miles with 4 of them up the mountain grade. Colesville did come in from the other end. The driver had been out by the trooper but was dead I believe from a heart attack.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='Richard_L_Dean_07405' date='26 May 2010 - 03:57 PM' timestamp='1274902653' post='383920']

According to Wikipedia "Montague Township was supposedly named after the George Montagu, 4th Duke of Manchester, as suggested by King George II, who approved the royal patent on March 26, 1759.[4] Montague was incorporated as one of New Jersey's initial group of 104 townships by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 21, 1798." My guess is that the boundary line might follow the top of the mountain ridge.

About ten years ago on a weekend afternoon the family and I were heading up the mountain on NJ 23 from Port Jervis. At the base, a state trooper passed us "code 3" and when we approached the top, 4 miles southbound, we could see heavy black smoke. Traffic was stopped with us noticing a flaming car that had been going north at the top of the downhill side. My wife being an RN and a first aider walked up to help while I as a fire police officer I flagged traffic. About 20 minutes later the Montague FD arrived after travelling a distance that I estimate to be at least 7 miles with 4 of them up the mountain grade. Colesville did come in from the other end. The driver had been out by the trooper but was dead I believe from a heart attack.

[/quote]

It's true that it takes Montague a long time to get to the point . Their station is located 5 miles down Clove Rd and then they have to climb RT 23 , which is all up hill to the highest peak in NJ . That is the main reason they wanted the Mini-pumper . They wanted something that could get moving quick and with four wheel drive for bad weather . The hardest thing for Montague is that they are totally volunteer , so sometimes it takes a while just getting a driver to the station . If you have ever been down Clove road you would know what a crazy twisting road it is . They usually try to avoid that road unless they have to. When responding to most calls they usually will choose Rt 206 , 209 or the Interstate 84 , which are saver roads . They told me that the Mack tanker can make Rt 23 but only at 30 -40 mph tops , it only has a 237hp with 5speed manual ( lots of torque though ) ...
Sandyston NJ --- Neighbors to Montague - Have this 1957 Ward La France that is on the active list . 750gpm - 1000gal

Attached Files Image(s)

Colesville NJ - 1997 Pierce Rescue / Engine - 1500gpm - 650gal

Attached Files Image(s)

Colesville NJ - 2005 KME Predator - 1500gpm - 2500gal

Attached Files Image(s)

Sussex NJ - 2004 Seagrave 100ft aerial - 2000gpm - 500gal

Attached Files Image(s)

Sussex NJ - 1998 Farrara 1250gpm - 750gal ( Purchased used in 2006 )

Not sure where it came from , but it is in great shape .

Also wonder if they ever got a new tanker ??? Does anyone know ?

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='promike' date='26 May 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1274904825' post='383925']

It's true that it takes Montague a long time to get to the point . Their station is located 5 miles down Clove Rd and then they have to climb RT 23 , which is all up hill to the highest peak in NJ . That is the main reason they wanted the Mini-pumper . They wanted something that could get moving quick and with four wheel drive for bad weather . The hardest thing for Montague is that they are totally volunteer , so sometimes it takes a while just getting a driver to the station . If you have ever been down Clove road you would know what a crazy twisting road it is . They usually try to avoid that road unless they have to. When responding to most calls they usually will choose Rt 206 , 209 or the Interstate 84 , which are saver roads . They told me that the Mack tanker can make Rt 23 but only at 30 -40 mph tops , it only has a 237hp with 5speed manual ( lots of torque though ) ...

[/quote]

I was not knocking them for taking so long as it is understandable. It is a 45 square mile township with a lot of land under state park or forest cotrol and also the US National Park Service along the Delaware River, very rural with less than 4000 residents per the 2000 census, probably a few more now I would think they would only use US 209 and/or I-84 if working mutual aid out of state since neither are in NJ but I could see it if the roads connecting US 206 and NJ 23 were blocked.
Rich Dean, Butler, New Jersey, USA

Member of Kinney Hose Co. 1, Butler Fire Dept. since 1973, Fire Police Officer since 2000

Dispatcher at Butler Police Communications from March 1975 to July 2009

Secretary of North Jersey Volunteer Firemen's Association since 1980

Member of Tri-Boro First Aid Squad (volunteer ems) since 2000 as a driver

Member of many Yahoogroups, owner of some such as:

[post="0"]FirematicEvents Yahoogroup[/post]the place to for listing and discussion of any event by a public safety organization.

[post="0"]RailfanEvents Yahoogroup[/post]

[post="0"]Railpics Yahoogroup[/post]
[quote name='promike' date='26 May 2010 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1274907287' post='383943']

Sussex NJ - 1998 Farrara 1250gpm - 750gal ( Purchased used in 2006 )

Not sure where it came from , but it is in great shape .

Also wonder if they ever got a new tanker ??? Does anyone know ?

[/quote) it originally came from the hughestown,pa hose co (luzerne county)
McAfee NJ -

1989 Pierce 105ft aerial / quint 1500gpm - Refurbed in 2006 New front and paint job

Attached Files Image(s)

Colesville just got a new Pierce Velocity engine quite recently. Haven't heard about any new tankers over that way yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Andy do you know anyone in Sussex or can you find out if they got a new tanker ? I have a feeling they bought a used one maybe ??? I like the new Colesville Velocity . It looks like they decided to get away from the top mount controls this time . But at least they still carry 1250 gallons of water.

Here are the pictures of the old and new . The old one is a 1990 Pierce 1500gpm -1250 and the new one 2010 Pierce 1500 -1250( New photo from Pierce ).

Attached Files Image(s)

Branchville NJ - 1994 KME - 75ft aerial - 1500gpm - 500gal

Attached Files Image(s)

Branchville NJ - 2003 HME/Smeal - 1750 gpm - 1000gal - light tower

Attached Files Image(s)

[size="5"]Newton NJ[/size] - 2002 Pierce - 1750gpm - 1000gal - 52 ft snozzle

Attached Files Image(s)

some rig shots from north arlingron and wayne's wetdown

north arlington engine acting as ladder 3 a 1984 mack mc

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Norht Arlington Ladder 3

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)