Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st day on the Job-Career Firefighter/Paramedic
Excellent advice so far.  One thing I learned when I started 26 years ago, is to find out your officers quirks, we all have them.  For example, my quirk is when you wash the truck, wash it properly, the entire truck. I have had officers with quirks about beds, cutlery and all kinds of things. Find out and things will go great.

Don't EVER say "We do things this way in another department ...", bad way to start off. Don't even think about the other department(s) when you are at work.

Also find out who is a strong union brother/sister.  They can certainly assist you with many things, but may not appreciate hearing about your volunteer fire department, and may have strong opinions about volunteers.  I know because I was a volunteer chief for a few years while a career firefighter in the city.  Even though I never talked about it (unless asked), there were still some guys that took great offence to my being a volunteer.

Hope this little bit helps you as well.  Congratulations and enjoy the career, it is a great job!!  I still have as much fun today as I did in 1988 when I started.