Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st day on the Job-Career Firefighter/Paramedic
Hello,

I have been a member of these boards for quite sometime and I am always amazed at the tremendous knowledge and passion you guys have for the Fire Service, that's why I decided to post this question here.  I was recently hired as a Full Time Firefighter/Paramedic for an east side suburb of Cleveland.  The competition in the Cleveland area is very intense as there are a ton of eligible candidates, but not many jobs.  There have been tests I have taken with 100+ in the room for 1 job.  So I am very fortunate to be offered a position.  My first day is Monday April 7.  I will have orientation that first week from 0800-1600 and the following week I will be placed on shift.  

Before I get any further here is a little bit about myself.  I am 27 years old and lived in the Cleveland area my entire life.  I earned my EMT-B cert in 2005 and Paramedic card in 2007.  I obtained my Firefighter level II in 2008 and just finished my associates degree.  Along with maintaining all those certifications I also maintained by NREMT-P, ACLS, PALS, ITLS, and BLS.  I worked full time at a private ambulance company and during the summer I was a Firefighter/Paramedic for Cedar Point,  I also worked as a part-time Firefighter/Paramedic for a combination department(Full-time and part-time Firefighters).

My question is what should I expect on those first days I am on shift? What about the first month and then first year?  I asked the guys at my part time Firefighter job and the response I got was, "If you are the same way here as you are there, then you will be fine."  I am well versed in Ears and Eyes open and mouth shut, taking initiative, being a team player,keeping my opinions to myself,  and trying to learn as much as I can.  I am just looking for that little extra that little extra guidance.  Any advice, tips or funny stories about being a Probie or stories about Probies would be greatly appreciated.  I am proud to be a member of the greatest job on Planet Earth and look forward to being a productive member of the Fire Service.  I also promise to update everyone on my progress through Probation and I might even post some pictures of our apparatus. Fireman

Thanks in advance,

Aaron