Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago FD Places Order For New Ambulances
Quote: 

The Transit weights are 100% correct direct from Ford.  But I did get my E-350 weights mixed up I was thinking about the Single rear wheel instead of dual, the dual E-350 is 11,500.

I thought that might be the case.

No one really likes Ford's thinking here, but here are some inside things to think about.

Finally I don't like the move but I do understand it.  I just wish they would have beefed up the suspension to allow heavier GVWR's and perhaps they will after a year or two.  But then again I've been hoping Chevy would beef up the Silverado front end but there is little hope left.  Every year I ask the Chevy guys at FDIC and every year they just stare at me like a deer in the headlights.
Yeah, the beefed up suspension could be coming in the future.  Chevy did that with the G-series (in current form).  The 3500 hit the streets and the 4500 followed a few years later.  If that's the intention, it would seem to be an odd course to me though.  Chevy made a significant dent into the 350/3500 market when Ford had that engine issue a few years back and didn't have an engine for the E-series and again with the current lack of a diesel engine.  Chevy seems to be doing well in the 450/4500 market too.  They could easily lose more ground with the lack of a suitable replacement for the E-450.

Personally, I don't care much since I think the current G-series from Chevy in a much better chassis to the E-series and the EMS agency I work for switched to them 5 years ago and stuck with them when it came time for replacement and that will likely continue.

I agree with you on the Silverado.  I've been wondering why they haven't come up with a C/K 4500 model to compete with the F-450 and Dodge 4500.