Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago FD Places Order For New Ambulances
Quote:Are you sure about those weights?  From what I've seen the E-350 GVW cutaway is in the area of  11,500 range which would put this new chassis below what the current E-350 is and totally eliminate Ford from the market that the E-450 competes in.

Doesn't seem like a good business strategy to me.

The Transit weights are 100% correct direct from Ford.  But I did get my E-350 weights mixed up I was thinking about the Single rear wheel instead of dual, the dual E-350 is 11,500.

No one really likes Ford's thinking here, but here are some inside things to think about.

1: All ambulance chassis for one year combined all makes and brands was equal in 2011 to only one days production of the E series van.  At that time Penske Leasing was purchasing at least three days of production of the E series van.  Kind of shows you why us ambulance guys don't get much love from the manufactures.

2: Ford and most auto companies are moving and have been for some time to multiple platform frames.  The Transit fits this where basically now I believe all Ford's van platforms around the world will be built on that one frame.  If I recall correctly as well the Transit the frame is used to build one of the pickups.  In addition the interior is much of the sames as in the Focus, while the gas engines are the same as the F-150's.

3: Avon Lake which previously built the E series will now build the F series commercial and some Ford RV chassis, which was previously built at the Blue Diamond joint Ford / International plant in Mexico.

4: The Transit will be built / assembled in Missouri.

5: Keep in mind Ford sees the future of van's as that of the Mercedes Sprinter, Nissan and others in that same size range.  Dodge I believe has a similar sized van chassis debuting next year.

6: One last thought the Transit van has actually been in production since 1965.  It's not a new platform by any means but this version had a much heavier North American design influence.

Finally I don't like the move but I do understand it.  I just wish they would have beefed up the suspension to allow heavier GVWR's and perhaps they will after a year or two.  But then again I've been hoping Chevy would beef up the Silverado front end but there is little hope left.  Every year I ask the Chevy guys at FDIC and every year they just stare at me like a deer in the headlights.

Kris