Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1964 International/Howe ex-National Park Service
Just a quick update on the sloooooooooow process of bringing this old girl back to life.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not very good at taking pics during the process. I take a few pics when I start to do something then when I start the work I just keep going till that particular task is done then think "crap, shoulda took some pics along the way". Oh well.

Here is a shot of the 49 year old front brakes. Both sides have had new shoes and wheel cylinders installed, sorry no after pic. See disclaimer.

[Image: IMG287_zpscbd3fe4d.jpg]

Here is a shot of the back brakes. This is how the truck is currently sitting since it seems that back break shoes for a mid-60's 1 ton International pickup are near impossible to find. I ordered a set from one place that said they had them but when they arrived they weren't even close to being correct so back they went. I ordered a set from another place yesterday and I was notified they were back ordered, hmmmmm, I may just end up having to have these relined. The wheel cylinders I was able to find new and they will be installed once I get shoes for it.

[Image: IMG477_zps71e2bdda.jpg]

I took the valve covers off to check rocker movement by hand since the truck hasn't run in 4 or so years. This is what a 49 year old 13000 mile motor looks like under the valve covers. Very clean.

[Image: IMG299_zps8411a0df.jpg]

I took the plugs out, squirted some Marvel Mystery oil in all cylinders as a precaution and turned the motor over by hand. Removed the distributer and spun the oil pump with a drill to prime it and circulate oil since it sat so long. Re-installed the distributer, new plugs and plug wires, rebuilt the carb and hooked up a gravity feed gas can since the original tank is rusted beyond repair. The old girl fired right up. Runs a tad rough but once I get a gas tank and new gas lines installed I'll mess with the timing and carb adjustments. All that after the brakes.