Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First On Scene Wildland Fire, Castle Pines CO 7-27-13
Yesterday afternoon my Fiancé, Rachel and I were driving through Castle Pines when we spotted a small amount of white smoke in the open space.  Our recent burn ban was lifted a few days ago so I assumed this was a controlled fire with a permit.  As we got closer the fire was growing and flames were visible from a mile away.  I was the first to call the comm center with multiple 911's that shortly followed.  I grabbed my department radio, Rachel took my camera and we made a 1/2 mile walk to where some people were.  

They had been shooting off model rockets which started the fire, two of them tried to put the fire out and were unable to.

The initial tone was for a small brush fire, bringing two Structure Engines and two Type 6 brush trucks.  I immediately upgraded the assignment to a large brush fire response (adding a Battalion, Safety, Wildland Duty Officer, Medic, a Type 1 Engine, 2 Type 3 Engines & Water Tender) and sized up 1/2 acre in scrub oak with moderate spread.

(No PPE due to the large football field which served as a more than adequate safety zone)