Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Furion and other mid-size pumpers
Greetings...I'm sure that it has been somewhere on firepics before, but I haven't been able to locate it.  When did Spartan stop producing the Furion? does anyone know why?  

The reason I am asking....it seems that more and more departments are looking at "smaller" pumpers that still *meet* NFPA Spec for Class A pumpers but are smaller in size on Ford F550 chassis.  From a Chief's perspective, I'm sure the smaller apparatus shows more fiscal responsibility and aligns with a higher EMS call load while still having firefighting capability....from a Firefighter's perspective, they want the big rig with everything on it, the visibility, etc. etc. etc.

While I, too, would prefer the big truck....some of them have become ridiculously large.  It made me wonder if someone (besides HME) was filling a "niche" in the mid-sized market....I thought this was somewhat covered by the Furion a few years ago, but saw that they are no longer in production.

It seems to me that the timing would be right for a "Chevy Colorado" (IE mid-sized) Fire Apparatus that could fill both roles...I thought Tempe and some others had experimented with them.

I apologize if this question seems a little disorganized....I would like to hear your thoughts!