Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Protection at Japanese Temples.
It seems almost comically inadequate . . . but I suppose if you stop and think about it, if the amount of water immediately and conveniently available in a few buckets isn't sufficient to extinguish any incipient fire, then chances are that nothing short of a comprehensive retrofitted fire suppression system would even come close to handling the job. The fact that most, if not all of these huge wooden structures are (1) Hundreds of years old, (2) Historical structures of immense cultural and religious significance, and (3) Not likely to be easy to retrofit in any inconspicuous way, all work against anything changing regarding their fire protection. The reality is that Japan, as a nation with countless wooden buildings both commercial and residential, has very strict and very stringently observed fire prevention regulations. The population is well aware that many of them are living in matchboxes, and the laws as I recall make anyone found responsible for a fire to make restitution to everyone affected. They take it very seriously, as they should, and their culture of respect for antiquities probably does as much or more to protect their ancient temples as any modern fire detection and/or suppression system would. it's a matter of attitude. Just my opinion, or course - I'm no expert in Oriental history, culture or fire protection & prevention - but I've met a good number of Japanese fire officials over the years and formed my opinions based on their comments, procedures and concerns. I think their ancient wooden temples are in pretty good hands . . . a nation of citizens who revere them, treasure them and seek to preserve them.