Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aviation Photos - Post your "AirPics" here!
Another one of my favorite aircraft. This is the Douglas C-133 Cargomaster. This was the USAF's first aircraft to use turbo-prop power plants. Only 50 saw service with 3 USAF squadrons. There are only a handful left, even fewer that still fly.

In the background is a Boeing EC-135 sitting in the run-up area of one of Offutt AFB's runways. As this was before 2001 there were no guards around the fence line, or around the aircraft, but I wonder if this aircraft was standing duty for Operation Looking Glass. Operation Looking Glass was a flying command post that had the capability to launch our nuclear missiles and remain in contact with our military and civilian command forces. It flew continuous airborne alert missions that began in 1961 and ended in 1990. Between 1961 and 1990 there was always an Operation Looking Glass aircraft in the air 24/7. After 1990 Operation Looking Glass then alternated between ground alert and airborne alert missions until 1998, when the US Navy took over the mission with it's E-6B aircraft.

My parents moved to Omaha in the early 1990's, after the 24/7 airborne mission had been downgraded.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)