Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RK aerial tipping alert
I started this topic because of safety concerns and wanting to ensure other depts check their rigs to ensure they don't have the same issues.

Issue one- the manufacturer.

The rigs in question were built on Spartan cab and chassis, with the ladders installed by RK manufacturing. The ladders are Galvanized steel with the towers being 104 footers and the ladders being 109 footers. All of the trucks in question have pumps and water tanks.

The coachwork was done by Carl Thibault ltd.

Our department has had multiple problems with the rigs in question. The one that failed at the forward ave fire was not specified with a critical componet that would have allowed it to be overridden by reversing the operation just performed. So the overirde clicked on, and the aerial operator had to watch 5 brothers dive out windows. Two were lucky, as there was a porch roof that they landed on. The other three had to jump from a third floor window. Their injuries included fractures, burns and broken teeth. The recovery was long and slow. Our safety officer ordered that the rig that failed not be moved until the labor board arrived. Unfortunately, this did not happen, resulted in inconclusive investigation. (read between the lines)

The next rig that came had almost a minute difference to set it up and extend it. Each subsequent rig that has arrived responds differently and the timing is different.

The next issue is the slow close valves, so that the ladder doesnt get jarred if you release the control too fast.The problem is that when extended 109 feet and you take your hand off the control, the tip would keep moving- depending on the truck up to 15 feet! We have tried to solve this by keeping our hand on the emergency stop button and jamming it on to keep it from hitting the building.

The teeter totter did not happen just once. The first time, it was suggested that it must have been some dumb firefighter that didnt know what he was doing. So along came the experts to prove how dumb we are, and guess what- the picture doesnt lie. There are some red faced people that wish that this problem would go away.

The latest alert I have read is that we are not to take the tires off the ground. That has now effectively eliminated using the truck on hills in our city. The manufacturer has admitted there was no operator error.

There is a long list of complaints, and if you have one of these "things", send me a personal message and I can get you in touch with the people that have the official reports.

I could say much, much more, but the liability filter and career disappation light says that I have said enough.

Learn from our mistakes- test your rigs, ensure they meet the specs, and send them back if they dont work, and for God's sake dont order more if you have ongoing problems. On a good note, they do look shiney in my station.

stay safe, Brothers!