Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Houston Fire Department Apparatus
I will be in the Houston area June 4-7.  I have a few family obligations, but would like to spend the rest of the time photographing apparatus.  Anyone want to play "tour guide"?

Houston have switching on all red apparatus? A couple of all red spartan erv are currently in production
HFD has had solid red apparatus in the past and went from all white to white over red in 1986 except for some refurbished pumpers (Texas Prison System) and two Pirsch Pumpers in 1984 that were all red.  Houston was all red until the late sixties when the "white apparatus" became the standard and made the last white purchase in 1982.

Light duty vehicles such as Boosters starting in 1995 and District Chief vehicles that have been all red since 1985 except for the Ford Excursions (2003-2006) which were all white.

Paramedic Squads started in 2003 with Squad 27 and another large purchase in 2005 with all red apparatus, Ambulances started the change-over this past winter with Medic 9 and are being phased in when a unit is replaced or refurbished.

Cascade 23 & 15 are now all red made by SVI on Ford Super Duty chassis and now Spartan ERV has in production 5 pumpers and 3 103' ladders, I am unsure if graphics will change and we hear their is an add-on order coming of more pumpers, ladders, and a tower.    

Quote:I will be in the Houston area June 4-7.  I have a few family obligations, but would like to spend the rest of the time photographing apparatus.  Anyone want to play "tour guide"?
I sent you a PM on this.  Did you receive it?

Joe
Very sad to report that Houston Fire Department experienced 4 LODD's at an incident on May 31, 2013. You can find local news coverage on sites related to KHOU TV, KPRC TV, Eyewitness 13 Houston, or Houston Chronical.

Joe
Quote:I sent you a PM on this.  Did you receive it?

Joe
I just got it a couple minutes ago.  I have changed my plans a bit and will steer clear of the Houston FD on this trip.  They have enough to deal with and don't need me trying to take photos.  I do still plan on hitting several of the other departments in the general area, but I think I have everything figured out already.  Hoping for decent weather......

Quote:I just got it a couple minutes ago.  I have changed my plans a bit and will steer clear of the Houston FD on this trip.  They have enough to deal with and don't need me trying to take photos.  I do still plan on hitting several of the other departments in the general area, but I think I have everything figured out already.  Hoping for decent weather......

Good luck on the weather. Plan on hot.

Joe
Quote:I just got it a couple minutes ago.  I have changed my plans a bit and will steer clear of the Houston FD on this trip.  They have enough to deal with and don't need me trying to take photos.  I do still plan on hitting several of the other departments in the general area, but I think I have everything figured out already.  Hoping for decent weather......
What part of town area you going to be in?
Jerremy Brown
Full time - Fulshear Simonton Tx FD
Part time - Champions ESD, Cypress Creek FD

Facebook - Jerremy Brown

"God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal."
dave i think if you could the memorial service is tomorrow if you can get there it would be a real tribute to the fallen brothers and sister with your pictures if you could put something together.
Dave....send me a message if your still in the area. I know its the 9th and outside your stated window but I may be able to help out or at least point you in a direction.

Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Quote:Dave....send me a message if your still in the area. I know its the 9th and outside your stated window but I may be able to help out or at least point you in a direction.
Thanks, but I am already home, got in about 0330 hours.  It was a decent trip, adding about 100 rigs to the collection.  Only bad weather was on the ride home and it was bad enough to make up for the whole week being nice!  I stayed away from the HFD this time, but I'll be back.  I did speak with a fair number of HFD members at the stations I did visit.  My condolences to you and the members and families of the HFD.
 How are things doing in Houston? I understand that 7 EMS units were taken out of  service this past winter, Have they  been put back in service yet or are they still out of service.?

I also heard  that the City was implementing a three stage "brownout plan" , where the higher the stage number the more fire companies  would be taken out of service or " browned out".

I also understand that you had received some Aerial Ladders from Spartan Erv  and that  you had also ordered a new Tower Ladder.

Has the Tower Ladder been put in service yet? What Truck company is it assigned to?

I suppose that now you will have a spare Tower Ladder in Houston?

Quote: How are things doing in Houston? I understand that 7 EMS units were taken out of  service this past winter, Have they  been put back in service yet or are they still out of service.?

I also heard  that the City was implementing a three stage "brownout plan" , where the higher the stage number the more fire companies  would be taken out of service or " browned out".

I also understand that you had received some Aerial Ladders from Spartan Erv  and that  you had also ordered a new Tower Ladder.

Has the Tower Ladder been put in service yet? What Truck company is it assigned to?

I suppose that now you will have a spare Tower Ladder in Houston?

- 7 EMS units were placed out of service and return as staffing permits on a daily basis, this will continue until our new budget year which starts on July 1st.

- Apparatus have been browned out based on daily staffing, and a formula negotiated with the city.  The fire apparatus brown outs do not occur every day.

- 5 Ladders (16, 31, 46, 55, 74) and 5 Engines (33, 68, 73, 74, 82) all 2013 Spartan ERV

- In production is a Spartan ERV Tower (RM), 4 Spartan ERV Pumpers, 3 Ferrara Ladders and a Ferrara Rehab Truck.  The tower is on the Spartan webpage due this summer and assignments have not been released.