Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
I forgot to mention on the Luray Engine 7 post that there is a Grumman name plate on the front of Engine 7. I was told that Grumman had nothing to do with the manufacturer or rehab of this engine. Luray just decided to add the Grumman plate to the front.

Here is the Luray logo.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Final for Luray and for this installment - Luray's station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Shame on you, Mike. You did not shoot the Clifton Forge brush truck! Was the old Chevrolet stepvan utility truck still there?

Jerry
[quote name='firemag' post='136535' date='Aug 3 2007, 22:01 ']Shame on you, Mike. You did not shoot the Clifton Forge brush truck! Was the old Chevrolet stepvan utility truck still there?

Jerry[/quote]

There was no brush truck at the station. Did not even know to ask about that, although it was mentioned to me that the Ford C was their brush unit.

The Chevrolet Stepvan was there and talk was that this would be the next piece replaced.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
My bad, Mike. Upon closer examination, Unit 20 does not have a skid unit.

Jerry

[quote name='mnsand' post='136372' date='Aug 3 2007, 06:23 ']I forgot to mention on the Luray Engine 7 post that there is a Grumman name plate on the front of Engine 7. I was told that Grumman had nothing to do with the manufacturer or rehab of this engine. Luray just decided to add the Grumman plate to the front.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

I passed through there recently and noticed the same thing.
Kevin Byrne
[quote name='dcfireman' post='136752' date='Aug 4 2007, 19:39 '][Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=21944]

I passed through there recently and noticed the same thing.[/quote]

Neat photograph Kevin.....thanks.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Some more Virginia apparatus from a variety of stations.

Appomattox, Virginia has a unique variety of apparatus. I did not have much time to stick around but met the Chief's son at the rescue squad who called his Dad who came from work to pull out some of the apparatus at the fire station.

A couple from the Rescue Squad, who has a station located next to the fire station. They cover Appomattox as well as other areas of the county.

Unit 5 is a 1996 Chevrolet Silverado/Chief's Fire & Rescue.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Appomattox Rescue Squad has several monster medics built on International's.

Unit 3 is a 2005 International 4300 built by Wheeled Coach.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
From the Rescue Squad I walked a short distance to the fire station, which has some unique apparatus. Since I was short on time, I focused on several trucks that I wanted to get.

Lot's of Civil War history in Appomattox. This is the insignia that is on most of the trucks. The official end to the Civil War was signed in Appomattox.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Appomattox Tanker 5 is this 2005 Freightliner M2/S&S with a 1500 gpm pump and a large 3,500 gallon water tank. It has S&S serial number 5858.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here's an unique one...

Ladder 7 is a 2002 Freightliner 112 with a 2003 Smeal body and 75' rearmount. In addition, it has a 1500/500 and 20 gallons of foam. Smeal serial number 306010.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Although there are a number of interesting apparatus at Appomattox, here was the one I was after.

I am growing very fond of Oren's, maybe because of the history they have in Virginia. When I have the opportunity to photograph an in service Oren, it is kind of nice.

Appomattox runs this as their reserve unit. Although it would be the next engine replaced, the Chief from Appomattox told me it will not be sold on his watch. The Appomattox members really like this truck.

One thing I failed to get.....the unit number. Any Virginia firepic members know what the Engine number on this is?

1972 Chevrolet 60/Oren 750/300 Oren serial number 3080

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Officer's side of the 1972 Chevrolet 60/Oren.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I had to return to Harrisonburg this week for work. I stopped by the downtown Harrisonburg station again to try and get more photos.

In posts 169-172 of this thread, I showed you Harrisonburg's Engine 23 (Sutphen) and an older American LaFrance ladder truck that run from the downtown station. What is very unique about this station is that on one side of the station Harrisonburg City units respond. On the other side of the station, Hose Company No. 4 from Rockingham County has its units. More on that later.

Hose Company 4 of Rockingham County run from two stations. Here are the units assigned to the downtown Harrisonburg station with Harrisonburg Engine 23.

Engine 402

2002 Sutphen

1250/750

serial number HS3686

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Hose Company 4's reserve engine is kept at the downtown station.

Engine 408

1987 Pierce Lance

1250/750

job number E3374

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A tanker is kept at this downtown station because Hose Company 4 has a large first due area outside of Harrisonburg.

Tanker 400

1979 International S/4-Guys

500/1200

4-Guys serial number F340

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Hose Company 4 also keeps a brush truck at the downtown station.

Brush 401

2000 Dodge Ram 2500/New Lexington

300/250

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is the station photo.

On the right is where the Harrisonburg city units are kept, mainly Engine 23 (Sutphen) and an older American LaFrance ladder truck. The 2002 Sutphen from Hose Company 4 was pulled over to the Harrisonburg side as the trucks were being moved around for photos.

On the left side are the Hose Company 4 units just posted.

Technically, if a Harrisonburg downtown fire occurred, Hose Company 4 from Rockingham County would not respond with Harrisonburg City Engine 23. Hose Co. 4 handles Rockingham County incidents outside of the city. The career guys from Rockingham County told me they have a great working relationship with the Harrisonburg City firefighters. A rather unusual set up.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I posted these awhile back on another thread but will post them again to show you the other Hose Company 4 apparatus. Again, Hose Company 4 has one station located within Harrisonburg City and one station located just outside of Harrisonburg in Rockingham County.

Here are the apparatus from the Rockingham County station.

Engine 418

1997 Sutphen

1250/750

HS3329

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA