Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pacific Northwest
Engine 28 with their 2016 Enforcer

Bob Lukas Photo

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Another look of E40's 2017 Enforcer, with their 2003 American LaFrance 

The business end of E17's new 2017 Enforcer.

Bob Lukas Photo

Seattle sure likes changing the chassis choice it seems. I've seen Pierce Arrow XT's, Enforcers, E\-One Quests, Cyclones, etc. Is this because of the specs and bid, or?

BTW, really like these trucks, thank you all for sharing the photos!
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:Seattle sure likes changing the chassis choice it seems. I've seen Pierce Arrow XT's, Enforcers, E-One Quests, Cyclones, etc. Is this because of the specs and bid, or?

BTW, really like these trucks, thank you all for sharing the photos!
I don't know why they choose all the different types of pumpers.  It's nothing new, even during the very long run of Kenworth purchases from the end of WWII through 1976, there were a few new purchases of Maxims, Mack L, Mack B, Gereral Federal, 700 type ALF's, and GMC's mixed in. 

The only exception to a diverse fleet will be the current front line ladder trucks, where soon they will all be assigned look alike Pierce TDA's.  The only distinctive difference being the 2006 thru 2011 units having a shorter wheel-base tractor and longer tiller.

SFD Engine 13, drafting drill at Station 14 today.

2015 Pierce Arrow

Bob Lukas Photo

Wasn't there a post awhile back about liking the more cab space/layout in the enforcer?

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Quote:Wasn't there a post awhile back about liking the more cab space/layout in the enforcer?

I couldn't find the specific post but I do remember the crew of SFD E28 say they had noticeably more cab room up front, when they were replacing their 2013 Arrow XT with a 2016 Enforcer.  The Enforcer cab is listed as having a cab width of 96" vs. the Arrow cab width of 94 3/4".  They might also have a smaller engine cover. 

Quote: 

I couldn't find the specific post but I do remember the crew of SFD E28 say they had noticeably more cab room up front, when they were replacing their 2013 Arrow XT with a 2016 Enforcer.  The Enforcer cab is listed as having a cab width of 96" vs. the Arrow cab width of 94 3/4".  They might also have a smaller engine cover. 
That is correct, the Enforcer is a little wider and the engine cover area is designed to allow more room for the driver and officer. While I am not sure about the exact numbers, our Enforcers have considerable more room especially leg room for the officer and driver. they must like them, I believe they have 4 more ob order.
One of the old Seattle KW hose wagons is for sale on Ebay.  I'm pretty sure this is the very last KW that was in service with the department.  What an awesome rig!  I hope somebody preserves this.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401352355559

Quote:One of the old Seattle KW hose wagons is for sale on Ebay.  I'm pretty sure this is the very last KW that was in service with the department.  What an awesome rig!  I hope somebody preserves this.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401352355559

Thanks for posting this Bryce!

It's a sad end of an era. 

Seattle Fire Department Apparatus #321, unceremoniously stricken from the books and sold on Ebay.

Delivered in 1970, the Kenworth 1750 GPM triple combination pumper, was equipped with a 3000 GPM Stang, with body work by Heiser, and purchased for $63,776.50 through L.N. Curtis Co.

After being assigned to Engine Company 1 from April through July of 1971, 321 served mostly in West Seattle until 1995 at Fire Stations 36, 32 and 11.  321 was then converted, by the shops, into a large diameter hose tender and on August 4, 1996, was designated as Hose 18.
Boeing Fire - Special Ops 1

2003 Kenworth/EVI

This unit carries haz-mat and technical rescue gear.  It is located at Boeing Field at the south end of Seattle.

Brian Birmingham

[url="http://www.bbirmingham.com"]bbirmingham.com[/url]
Engine 32 from the Valley Regional Fire Authority

2016 Pierce Enforcer

Brian Birmingham

[url="http://www.bbirmingham.com"]bbirmingham.com[/url]
Quote: 

Thanks for posting this Bryce!

It's a sad end of an era. 

Seattle Fire Department Apparatus #321, unceremoniously stricken from the books and sold on Ebay.

Delivered in 1970, the Kenworth 1750 GPM triple combination pumper, was equipped with a 3000 GPM Stang, with body work by Heiser, and purchased for $63,776.50 through L.N. Curtis Co.

After being assigned to Engine Company 1 from April through July of 1971, 321 served mostly in West Seattle until 1995 at Fire Stations 36, 32 and 11.  321 was then converted, by the shops, into a large diameter hose tender and on August 4, 1996, was designated as Hose 18.

I'd say 47 years in service is a pretty good run. It speaks volumes to the durability of those rigs.

Why didn't the department hang onto it? And why didn't it wind up with Last Resort FD? I really hope it doesn't get scrapped.
Quote:I'd say 47 years in service is a pretty good run. It speaks volumes to the durability of those rigs.

Why didn't the department hang onto it? And why didn't it wind up with Last Resort FD? I really hope it doesn't get scrapped.
There seems to be a general lack of interest by the SFD in adding to their "Heritage" collection now or in the foreseeable future. 

The LRFD has experienced a significant drop off in donations in the last decade and has also run out of room for any new additions. 

Letting a piece like this slip away is inexcusable by all parties. 
Last night, the TV show "Live PD" followed offiers from the Spokane County Sheriffs Offices.  On one call, a domestic violence incident, EMS was called and the FD showed up in a really nice Kenworth engine. I couldn't make out the lettering, as it wasn't that close to the camera. Does anyone have a photo of it?

Seth Granville
Quote:Last night, the TV show "Live PD" followed offiers from the Spokane County Sheriffs Offices.  On one call, a domestic violence incident, EMS was called and the FD showed up in a really nice Kenworth engine. I couldn't make out the lettering, as it wasn't that close to the camera. Does anyone have a photo of it?
http://www.spokanevalleyfire.com/fire-st...apparatus/     Click on "Station 9- South Valley" 
Quote:http://www.spokanevalleyfire.com/fire-st...apparatus/     Click on "Station 9- South Valley"
Thanks! They've got a good mix of apparatus there and nice facilities. Is Seagrave or KME big in that area?
Seth Granville
Wow Seagrave and KME in the same department. Seems like both ends of the spectrum.  

Quote:Thanks! They've got a good mix of apparatus there and nice facilities. Is Seagrave or KME big in that area?
I think not.  The other large department in the area, the City of Spokane, has been a big fan of Pierce for many years.