Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chief's travels
finally until i get out and do some more shooting i shot engine 7 from rockford however it was never renumbered from engine 4 so it says engine 4 but it is actually engine 7

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='chief' timestamp='1340207281' post='489315']

here are some apparatus shots first is harlem roscoe engine 2 next is city of beloit command 107 next is townn of turtle engine next is west suburban engine 1101 next is Belvidere tower ladder 150 even though it is a tower ladder they run it as an engine?

[/quote]

Supposedly Belvidere is running the new tower on everything while under warranty to work the bugs out.
[quote name='chief' timestamp='1340210349' post='489343']

finally until i get out and do some more shooting i shot engine 7 from rockford however it was never renumbered from engine 4 so it says engine 4 but it is actually engine 7

[/quote]

Another sign of the Rockford economic times... Engine 7 is now permanently an engine. Where there was once three quints (which were 5,7,9) and two truck companies (1 and 2), the city will now have two quints and two ladders, shortly to be three quints (1, 5, 9) and one dry truck company (2)... Ironically Quint 7 was at one time the newest of the Pierce quints, I'm not sure where it is now. They beat the snot out of these quints chasing med runs...

The engine now assigned to 7 was once at 4. Engine 4 is now a third "extrication" engine, and runs one of a pair of twin Freightliner/US Tanker rescue pumpers (the other is at 8, 4's rig came from 11), and now 11 runs a used, white HME/Smeal rescue pumper they picked up used somewhere out east. It's actually a very nice unit. The twin Freightliner/US Tankers have to also be getting rather old, and supposedly the new engine coming with the Quint for 1 will be a rescue pumper for either 4 or 8. My money says it will go to 4, since 8's station (while really cool) is VERY tight.

If this is confusing, I apologize. I know some folks on here like to keep score with what rigs are where. The next year's lease purchase is rumored to be bringing four new engines to the city. The city finally got smart and now leases every vehicle purchased, which somewhat forces the admin to keep on a replacement schedule. Previously, capital items for the fire department were given very low priority.

The city website is actually pretty decent for anyone who wants to buff the stations. The rigs pictures aren't 100% accurate though.

[url="http://www.ci.rockford.il.us/fire/operations/stations.aspx"]http://www.ci.rockfo...s/stations.aspx[/url]
[quote name='npfd801' timestamp='1340240321' post='489405']

Another sign of the Rockford economic times... Engine 7 is now permanently an engine. Where there was once three quints (which were 5,7,9) and two truck companies (1 and 2), the city will now have two quints and two ladders, shortly to be three quints (1, 5, 9) and one dry truck company (2)... Ironically Quint 7 was at one time the newest of the Pierce quints, I'm not sure where it is now. They beat the snot out of these quints chasing med runs...

The engine now assigned to 7 was once at 4. Engine 4 is now a third "extrication" engine, and runs one of a pair of twin Freightliner/US Tanker rescue pumpers (the other is at 8, 4's rig came from 11), and now 11 runs a used, white HME/Smeal rescue pumper they picked up used somewhere out east. It's actually a very nice unit. The twin Freightliner/US Tankers have to also be getting rather old, and supposedly the new engine coming with the Quint for 1 will be a rescue pumper for either 4 or 8. My money says it will go to 4, since 8's station (while really cool) is VERY tight.

If this is confusing, I apologize. I know some folks on here like to keep score with what rigs are where. The next year's lease purchase is rumored to be bringing four new engines to the city. The city finally got smart and now leases every vehicle purchased, which somewhat forces the admin to keep on a replacement schedule. Previously, capital items for the fire department were given very low priority.

The city website is actually pretty decent for anyone who wants to buff the stations. The rigs pictures aren't 100% accurate though.

[url="http://www.ci.rockford.il.us/fire/operations/stations.aspx"]http://www.ci.rockfo...s/stations.aspx[/url]

[/quote]

Thanks for the update on Rockford. Nice to see them aquiring some new equipment rather than purchasing used rigs. It looks like I will have to plan a trip to photograph the fleet on one of my trips back home to Bloomington.

How are the new EMS SUVs working out for the city? Are they staffed with dedicated crews or does an engine/ladder cross staff them?
[quote name='chief' timestamp='1340209806' post='489338']

when we went into the bays i found an old engine from rutland dundee which is just down the road and doesnt have room for it so it sits at west dundee

[/quote]

I think it's cool that so many of the Northern IL & Southern WI departments still spec out that squirrel-tail front suction hose. Thanks for posting this photo!
here is the old Clayton mo tower ladder

Attached Files Image(s)

carpentersville engine 58

FDNY rescue 4 at FDIC 2011

FDNY rescue 4 rear

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='firesafe91' timestamp='1340242719' post='489408']

Thanks for the update on Rockford. Nice to see them aquiring some new equipment rather than purchasing used rigs. It looks like I will have to plan a trip to photograph the fleet on one of my trips back home to Bloomington.

How are the new EMS SUVs working out for the city? Are they staffed with dedicated crews or does an engine/ladder cross staff them?

[/quote]

I think there's mixed reviews. They're running them on two different theories, "Rescue 1" is a jump company from Ladder 1. So if the Rescue is out on a run the Ladder sits. Kind of a big deal to me when there's only four aerials left in service. This has burned them at least once on a structure fire, but they knew this risk going in.

Rescue 2 is staffed with three all of the time. They run an enhanced "still" area for medicals, leaving the heavy stuff in house but still staffed. I think the guys on the Rescue like it because they're busy, and they also have the privilege of running an enhanced area as a manpower squad on working fire. Two young guys that were once on my department put in specifically for this duty to see more fire. Funny thing is, now the rigs that would normally cover the still areas that this rescue run still idle a lot more, so your essentially paying people to sit and wait only for fires, MVCs, etc.

The new administration at Rockford Fire is clearly of a different thought process than the prior, and is embracing working relationships with surrounding departments much more. Its very refreshing. I think they're doing the best with what they have and a mayor who clearly disdains firefighters.
[quote name='npfd801' timestamp='1340324794' post='489503']

I think there's mixed reviews. They're running them on two different theories, "Rescue 1" is a jump company from Ladder 1. So if the Rescue is out on a run the Ladder sits. Kind of a big deal to me when there's only four aerials left in service. This has burned them at least once on a structure fire, but they knew this risk going in.

Rescue 2 is staffed with three all of the time. They run an enhanced "still" area for medicals, leaving the heavy stuff in house but still staffed. I think the guys on the Rescue like it because they're busy, and they also have the privilege of running an enhanced area as a manpower squad on working fire. Two young guys that were once on my department put in specifically for this duty to see more fire. Funny thing is, now the rigs that would normally cover the still areas that this rescue run still idle a lot more, so your essentially paying people to sit and wait only for fires, MVCs, etc.

The new administration at Rockford Fire is clearly of a different thought process than the prior, and is embracing working relationships with surrounding departments much more. Its very refreshing. I think they're doing the best with what they have and a mayor who clearly disdains firefighters.

[/quote]

Thanks for the background. When the new quint for Station 1 is placed in service, will the engine be placed out of service and the Rescue staffed similar to Station 2? Thanks again for the Rockford updates.
ok you city of Rockford fire fans here come a few more i shot today

more

more

some more shots

here is one per the request of the ladder company for a future picture that they want to make up as to send the tiller into the final fire.

and last but not least here is the new Rosenbauer that was dropped off at fire station 3 in Freeport it is not lettered yet but it will be 3001 and go to station 1 since it will not fit at station 2 which is actually the truck that it is replacing. The new quint is too high and long. They didnt want it on the internet however the newspaper was there and took pics and did a write up and it was in todays paper so everybody knows about it so here it is.

[quote name='firesafe91' timestamp='1340476774' post='489742']

Thanks for the background. When the new quint for Station 1 is placed in service, will the engine be placed out of service and the Rescue staffed similar to Station 2? Thanks again for the Rockford updates.

[/quote]

Lots of rumors floating around, but nothing is certain that I know of.
Joel as from what i was told station 1 is going to be run the same when the new truck comes in. We will see what happens.
[quote name='chief' timestamp='1340991105' post='490624']

Joel as from what i was told station 1 is going to be run the same when the new truck comes in. We will see what happens.

[/quote]

Last round of info/rumor is that the quint coming for Ladder 1 (Qunit 1?) will be a little different from the units delivered for 5 and 9 due to the apron requiring a lower travel height due to departure angles. Supposedly the engine coming yet this year will replace Engine 1 as well, as that's an older FL/ALF.

Next year is supposed to be a couple/three new ambulances and two rescue pumpers, one for 4 and the other for 8.

Glad to see good things happening in Rockford.