Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
This nice Engine/Tanker runs with the Sutphen.

Engine 412

2005 International 4700/Pierce

1250/2000

job number 17471

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Hose Company 4 - this was donated to the deparment several Christmas seasons ago.

SERV 41

2004 Hummer H1

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
These are the kind of stations that I love to visit....a mixture of all sorts of apparatus. Lovingston, Virginia is that kind of department. Lovingston is located between Charlottesville and Lynchburg on Route 29 in Nelson County. The challenge.....to find someone there.

I was on my way to Lynchburg when I decided to stop by Lovingston. Of course, it was closed up real tight. Neat thing about a town like Lovingston is everybody knows everybody. I have found in these kind of situations that the local auto mechanic is a great source. I stopped by, talked with him, and we was on the phone trying to track down someone for me. At his shop he had a scanner going with a speaker mounted on the wall. As we were waiting to hear a reply on someone coming down to the station, we heard an officer from Lovingston mark up on the radio asking another member if they could report to the station because someone was visiting and wanted to get apparatus photos. 20 minutes later, I met several nice Lovingston members. How is that for small town hospitality.

I need some help with this truck.....there is some confusion whether it came from a New Jersey FD or a New York FD. Since it still has some of the old markings on the truck, it should not be hard to figure out. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Lovingston, Virginia

Nelson County

Engine 11

1978 Hendrickson/Oren/Grumman

Also marked with a Great Eastern Fire plate (New Jersey FIre Equipment Corp)

1250/500

Serial number 15347

still marked with "Bay Head" markings and "Engine 1411"

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I am pretty sure that the Hendrickson pumper is from Bay Head, NJ.
I photographed this Mack squad many years ago while in service in Chesterfield County, Virginia. It was great having the opportunity to photograph it again at its second home in Lovingston.

Squad 15

1984 Mack CF 685FC/Baker/1968 Young squad body

ex- Chesterfield County, Virginia Squad 49

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is a view from the back side...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A couple of Lovingston trucks purchased new by the company.

Engine 10

1988 Pierce Arrow

1000/750

job number E4127

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Tanker 12 from Lovingston is this 1997 International 4900/S&S with a 750/1800. It has S&S serial number 2759.

Having the ladder on the drivers side is a bit uncommon.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I am not exactly sure if this Lovingston brush truck runs as their "Brush 8" or not.

It came from Wintergreen, Virginia where it ran as Brush 8, and had the lettering the exact same way.

1977 Dodge

140/250

ex- Wintergreen, VA Brush 8

No room inside for the Dodge. It is kept outside.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last from Lovingston is their station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Back to the Harrisonburg area. I am finding myself back to that area more and more for work.

I forgot to post this one with Hose Company 4 from Harrisonburg. While I was at the station, this HAZMAT unit was in the back of the station doing a HAZMAT drill for Rockinham County firefighters.

HAZMAT 900 is an interesting rehab. What I was told was that the tractor came from a tractor-trailer beverage truck. In 2004, the tractor was sent to Betten Rollup where a body (not sure if it was a new body or rehabed body - I suspect rehabed) was joined to the tractor.

This truck is kept at the county garage and is staffed by a training officer in the event that it is needed.

Rockingham County, Virginia

HAZMAT 900

1995 International 4900/2004 Betten Rollup

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
About 10 miles outside of Harrisonburg is McGaheysville, Virginia, also located in Rockingham County. I had stopped by McGaheysville the day I photogrphed the Elkton, Virginia apparatus (earlier posts on this thread), but no one was home due to a variety of EMS calls.

The career guys and volunteers at McGaheysville went all out to make my visit really nice. With a good amount of apparatus and a nice surprise thrown in later, I unfortunately was late getting home that night. But well worth it.

First up at McGahyesville is Engine 801, the departments rescue engine.

Engine 801

2005 Pierce Quantum

1250/750

80 gallons of foam

job number 15308

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Engine 802 runs this 1993 Seagrave HB 1500/750. It has serial number 78559.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another Seagrave, and a favorite for a group of the guys at McGaheysville.

Engine 807

1983 Seagrave HB

1250/1000

serial number Q79339

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Ladder truck duties are handled by Truck 80 at McGaheysville, which is a 1995 Pierce Lance 105' with job number E9426. This Pierce replaced an older FDNY Seagrave rearmount that had previously saw service at Orange, Virginia. It was FDNY, to Orange, Virginia, to McGaheysville, and now in service at Luray, Virgnia.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another Oren!!

Tanker 805 is a 1973 Chevrolet C65/Oren 300/1150 with Oren serial number 3309. This one got dressed up a bit. When McGaheysville sold the Seagrave ladder truck, they had the roof lights removed from the Seagrave and put on this tanker.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A new brush truck has arrived in McGaheysville, replacing an older Steinbaugh unit. Don't cry Doctor Steinbaugh, I was told it is privately owned in the Bridgewater area. I might need to track that one down. That would make three Steinbaugh's in close proximity - old McGaheysville, Bergton (old Ashburn), and Broadway (which I hear is now for sale).

Brush 804

2007 Chevrolet/M&W

200/225

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A train track runs right across the front entrance/exit of the McGaheysville station. Wonder how many times that has slowed them down.

Here is a photo of the front of the station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And the rear of the station...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And I will save the best for last (in my opinion) from McGaheysville.

While I was photographing the apparatus at McGaheysville, some of the guys made a phone call to a member asking him to bring down one of the newest acquisitions to the area. Although not owned by the fire department because there is no room to store this truck, a member purchased it and there is a tremendous amount of pride in this truck.

Originally ordered by Merck & Company which has a nearby plant in Elkton, Virginia, this truck was donated to McGaheysville when the department was just getting started - roughly in 1965. It was the department's second truck (the first being an old tanker).

It is a 1942 Diamond T Model 404 which is in very good shape.

Here is the interesting part.....I was told Diamond T built the entire truck, including the fire truck body. I had never heard of that before and was told that Diamond T built a small number of fire trucks. Any Diamond T experts out there that could confirm this? I looked for a builders plate but could find nothing except the Diamond T plate.

After serving at McGaheysville, it was sold to Hugh Whitlow (I hope I spelled that name correctly) in the early 1980's, who was once the Oren dealer in Virginia. My understanding that due to older age and health, Mr. Whitlow had to sell the truck, and it was offered back to McGaheysville, but there was no room at the station. That is when a member stepped up and purchased the truck.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA