Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Metro Airports Authority VA
The ARROW is sitting in a Truck Graveyard in Elkridge Md.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Hey can anybody from the MWAA tell the story about your new Arrow XT pumpers. I have heard that the dealer tried to push the Velocity cab on you like they have with a certain nearby jurisdiction that has fallen for it hook line and sinker. Just wondering.
[quote name='splinterhead' date='21 October 2009 - 05:42 PM' timestamp='1256160137' post='343910']

Hey can anybody from the MWAA tell the story about your new Arrow XT pumpers. I have heard that the dealer tried to push the Velocity cab on you like they have with a certain nearby jurisdiction that has fallen for it hook line and sinker. Just wondering.

[/quote]

Couldn't comment on that, I think we were set on the Arrow XT from the start.

Dave, no news on any Strikers for us and an update on the re-numbering...it will occur within the next year.
[quote name='ARFF-FF' date='21 October 2009 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1256180468' post='344000']

Couldn't comment on that, I think we were set on the Arrow XT from the start.

Dave, no news on any Strikers for us and an update on the re-numbering...it will occur within the next year.

[/quote]

Thanks ARFF-FF, I hope that some Strikers are on the way to National soon.
Dave McClung

Arden Hills, Minnesota but....

my heart is also back in Northern VA, especially Alexandria.

All pictures are taken by me and subject to copyright.

No picture taken by me may be copied or linked without my

express permission.
Does anyone have pictures of new fire station 304? I thought I saw them posted but could not find them.

Also, official notice came out that some of the apparatus will be renumbered as follows:

E324 as E301B

M325 as M301B

E380 as E302

M350 as M302

M370 as M302B

M364 as M303

Have not seen anything on the crash units being changed but I'm sure we will get the offical word soon.
[quote name='LCFR16LT' date='28 October 2009 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1256745093' post='344985']

Does anyone have pictures of new fire station 304? I thought I saw them posted but could not find them.

Also, official notice came out that some of the apparatus will be renumbered as follows:

E324 as E301B

M325 as M301B

E380 as E302

M350 as M302

M370 as M302B

M364 as M303

Have not seen anything on the crash units being changed but I'm sure we will get the offical word soon.

[/quote]

Thank you for the update. Please let us know if and when the ARFF and SERV rigs, etc have number changes.

The Quint will come lettered as Quint 302, I confirmed that through two sources.
Dave McClung

express permission.
[quote name='LCFR16LT' date='28 October 2009 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1256745093' post='344985']

E324 as E301B

M325 as M301B

E380 as E302

M350 as M302

M370 as M302B

M364 as M303

[/quote]

The pictures of Station 304 are in the Virginia Misc post.

As for the new numbering you can monitor MWAA public safety (PD and FD) on Radio References list of online scanners. Search under FFX or Arlington VA and you will find the link for the feed. I noticed the change to the new unit designators sometime around the first of December.
Dave McClung

express permission.
Crash Units are not being renumbered right now. They may be as they get replaced but for the time being. The new Striker going to DCA when it gets ordered will be Foam 301. Special Ops unit and MCSU's are also staying the same numbering scheme.
[quote name='jpgraber' date='16 January 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1263663047' post='358902']

Crash Units are not being renumbered right now. They may be as they get replaced but for the time being. The new Striker going to DCA when it gets ordered will be Foam 301. Special Ops unit and MCSU's are also staying the same numbering scheme.

[/quote]

Do you know how close they are to ordering the Striker for National?
Dave McClung

express permission.
The budget year just started and I think probably in the next few months and after it is ordered with will most likely be 5 to 6 months to be built. Once it is delivered the training will take a few months so I wouldn't look for it for a year. It is my understading that the spec is going to be the same at Foam 352.
[quote name='LCFR16LT' date='28 October 2009 - 11:11 AM' timestamp='1256745093' post='344985']

E324 as E301B

M325 as M301B

E380 as E302

M350 as M302

M370 as M302B

M364 as M303

[/quote]

Here is Station 304....

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' date='16 January 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1263689348' post='358948']

Here is Station 304....

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

[/quote]

Mike, how much work would it be to post the picutures of the Dulles rigs you shot over here in the MWAA thread to keep the continuity going? You did such a fanastic job of shooting all the Dulles rigs it would be nice to add them to the MWAA thread. I would like to do the same thing with all the rigs at National between my next two or three trips to DC.
Dave McClung

express permission.
New Tower 302 is in from Wisconsin and is at Singer. They said it should be delivered sometime late next week. Still needs the Map book holder painted and installed and should be good to go. Nice lookin' rig to. Has the "Fairfax Light" on it instead of the Roto-ray like everything else.
[quote name='Engine438' date='06 March 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1267922318' post='368360']

New Tower 302 is in from Wisconsin and is at Singer. They said it should be delivered sometime late next week. Still needs the Map book holder painted and installed and should be good to go. Nice lookin' rig to. Has the "Fairfax Light" on it instead of the Roto-ray like everything else.

[/quote]

Thanks for the update on Tower 302, Engine 438.
Dave McClung

express permission.
[quote name='Dave McClung' date='16 January 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1263689707' post='358950']

Mike, how much work would it be to post the picutures of the Dulles rigs you shot over here in the MWAA thread to keep the continuity going? You did such a fanastic job of shooting all the Dulles rigs it would be nice to add them to the MWAA thread. I would like to do the same thing with all the rigs at National between my next two or three trips to DC.

[/quote]

Dave,

I will post the pictures as I have the opportunity.

Mike Sanders
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' date='06 March 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1267926007' post='368376']

Dave,

I will post the pictures as I have the opportunity.

Mike Sanders

[/quote]

Thanks Mike. You did such a fantastic job, it would really add to the thread.
Dave McClung

express permission.
[quote name='Dave McClung' date='06 March 2010 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1267925657' post='368373']

Thanks for the update on Tower 302, Engine 438.

[/quote]

No Problem. One very unique feature about it is that it has an extra-large bucket and is designed so that it can pull right up to an aircraft's door to assist with evacuation. It has a rubber bumper on the front end of the bucket so that it can be put right up against the aircraft and not scratch or cut it or anything. I believe they said the bucket has something like 35 square feet compared to Manassas Park Quint/Tower 509 (which was sitting right next to it at Singer), which has I believe they said has something like 28 square feet inside the bucket.
Dave asked that I post my photos from my visit to Dulles over to this thread (they are somewhere in the Virginia thread). I had the opportunity to visit Dulles in July of 2008. The department was fantastic with their support. I am sure there have been several re-assignment's since my last visit.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Station 302 is located near the Smithsonian and is probably the largest station I have ever seen or visited.

Engine 302 (ex- Engine 380) is a 2004 Pierce Dash 1500/580/40. Job number 15288.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Foam Unit 302 is a 2008 Oshkosh 6x6 Striker 3000. 1950/3000/420 with a 50' Snozzle and 460# Halotron.

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA