• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Another view of the Diamond T...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Just for reference, a photo of the Diamond T plate.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Well.....I mentioned the 1941 Diamond T came from the Merck & Company, which has a plant located in Elkton (right down the road).

I said how nice the McGaheysville crew was. Another phone call by the Captain to the local Merck & Company facility allowed me the opportunity to visit the local Merck fire brigade. This was truly a "Behind the Fence" department.

After signing in at the facility, being assigned a pair of safety glasses and vistors badge, and signing a statement that I would take no photographs with a Merck building in the background, I was met my a very nice gentleman who has worked at the facility for over 30 years and runs with the fire department.

Merck & Company is a global research pharmaceutical company with facilities across the world. Established in 1891, this company develops and manufacturers vaccines and medicines. One of their US facilities is located in Elkton, Virginia and is called the "Stonewall Plant". The fire department is known as Station 90 in Rockingham County.

I had always heard about one fire truck at the facility.....it turns out they had a few more. Wish I could show you a photo of the fire station, but I was not allowed to take photos of it. The trucks were taken one at a time down near an employee parking lot. Now I was really going to be late in getting home - but worth it.

First up is the departments Rescue unit, primarily a confined space truck. Prior to its assignment as Rescue 905, it was the plants HAZMAT unit.

Merck & Company Inc.

Elkton, Virginia

Stonewall Plant

Rescue 905

1987 Ford E350/Utilimaster

ex- HAZMAT 95

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
HAZMAT operations are handled with this rehabed beverage truck.

I found this interesting, because one beverage company did the rehab on another beverage companies truck.

Merck & Company Inc.

Elkton, Virginia

Stonewall Plant

HAZMAT 95

1987 Chevrolet 70/Hackney

Early 2000 rehab completed by Betten RollUp

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
With all of the chemicals used at the facility, big water could be needed. Part of that operation is handled by Deluge 95 and the "Foam Task Force Trailer".

Deluge 95 carries a large monitor in the truck bed complete with 1000 feet of 5 inch hose. This truck tows the foam trailer, and is designed to be unhooked so that Deluge 95 can get as close to the emergency as possible.

Merck & Company Inc.

Elkton, Virginia

Stonewall Plant

Deluge 95

2000 Chevrolet 3500/Reading

1000 feet of 5 inch hose

Foam Task Force Trailer

2000 K&K Machinery Trailer (built in nearby Elkton, Va.)

Two 300 gallon foam tanks

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Closer up photo of Deluge 95

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And a closer view of the foam trailer.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another angle...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This was the only fire truck I thought the Merck facility had.....guess I was wrong on that one.

Merck & Company Inc.

Elkton, Virginia

Stonewall Plant

Engine 901

1986 GMC Brigadier/National Foam

1250/250 water/750 foam

50' Telesqurt

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another angle of from Engine 901 - pump and crew area.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
One more view...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Last one from Merck.

A Merck facility was closed (I believe in Flint River, Georgia), and as a result, one of the Merck trucks was reassigned to the Elkton facility. The Elkton facility just received this engine in 2007.

Merck & Company Inc.

Elkton, Virginia

Stonewall Plant

Engine 902

1997 Pierce Quantum

1500/200 water/400 foam

50' Telesqurt

Pierce job number EA776

Can anyone with a Pierce serial number list confirm the original destination of this Quantum?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
God bless you Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Oren at Appomattox is Engine 3.

When I photographed the Hendrickson it was at the substation for Lovingston in Wingina running as Engine 11.

As you said the brush truck came from Wintergreen. I was told the skid unit came from Faber at one time, but that was also recanted. Not really sure. Lovingston is not really big into re-lettering as you can see. Neither the Wintergreen or Oren have been re-lettered. I'm not sure where Attack 17 is, but it came from Zion Cross Roads and was still so lettered the last time I saw it. Maybe it went to Wingina where I was told the Wintergreen brush truck was going. Things change rapidly in Nelson County!!!

Many thanks and burn the CD!!!!

Jerry
That wraps up this segment. I believe that Merck also runs an ambulance, but it was not at the station.

Hope you enjoyed the tour. I will tell you though, if I mistype either McGaheysville or Merck one more time I will probably scream - try typing those names fast.

Your feedback is appreciated and welcome.

Thanks,

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='RPbravest29FD' post='140575' date='Aug 15 2007, 19:49 ']I am pretty sure that the Hendrickson pumper is from Bay Head, NJ.[/quote]

Thank you John. I suspect New Jersey with the Great Eastern name on it.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='firemag' post='140659' date='Aug 15 2007, 21:12 ']God bless you Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Oren at Appomattox is Engine 3.

When I photographed the Hendrickson it was at the substation for Lovingston in Wingina running as Engine 11.

As you said the brush truck came from Wintergreen. I was told the skid unit came from Faber at one time, but that was also recanted. Not really sure. Lovingston is not really big into re-lettering as you can see. Neither the Wintergreen or Oren have been re-lettered. I'm not sure where Attack 17 is, but it came from Zion Cross Roads and was still so lettered the last time I saw it. Maybe it went to Wingina where I was told the Wintergreen brush truck was going. Things change rapidly in Nelson County!!!

Many thanks and burn the CD!!!!

Jerry[/quote]

Engine 3.....thanks Jerry. I was moving pretty fast at Appomattox and forgot to ask.

I will talk to you about that CD.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
[quote name='mnsand' post='140677' date='Aug 15 2007, 21:43 ']Thank you John. I suspect New Jersey with the Great Eastern name on it.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

John is correct. This is a former Bay Head, NJ engine.
Jay Kormann
Yet another amazing trip Mike, thanks for posting all those pictures! I'd love to have a job that let me be a professional apparatus buff! If you're ever doing anything near the NC/VA line let me know a day or two in advance!
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

Good photos Mike.
John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
[quote name='mnsand' post='140537' date='Aug 15 2007, 18:48 ']Here's an unique one...

Ladder 7 is a 2002 Freightliner 112 with a 2003 Smeal body and 75' rearmount. In addition, it has a 1500/500 and 20 gallons of foam. Smeal serial number 306010.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

VERY nice. Highlights for me are this truck, the old Diamond-T and the Merck fleet. For some reason I like aerial-ladders on commercial chassis very much.

Juergen