Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston EMS
Another shot..

Attached Files Image(s)

Last one...

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='WoburnEngine3' date='31 January 2007 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1170301912' post='72480']

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=6480]

[/quote]

Where was this with an Action AMBO in the background? I did not know BMES ever had a unit like this?
Supervisor standing by at a fire

Sean O'Brien

North Reading Fire Dept. IAFF L1857

US ARMY/MA NATIONAL GUARD - HHC 1/182ND INFANTRY

EMT-P/AEMD - Atlantic / Cataldo EMS

Boston Citywide 232

[url="http://www.seanophotography.com/"]Sean O'Brien Photography[/url]
Any idea who built the box on the Chevy Supervisors unit? Thanks in advance
[quote name='nealcraig' date='05 January 2010 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1262726608' post='356607']

Any idea who built the box on the Chevy Supervisors unit? Thanks in advance

[/quote]

Supervisor Unit – 2008 Chevrolet 3500/2009 Warner
I see where Boston EMS is doing a RFB using the new IH TerraStar chassis. Packet shows 10 on first order w/ option for two more years at 10 per year. I do not think anyone has built a unit on the TerraStar but I do know there is one at a ambo plant in Van Wert Ohio
Neal,

You are correct, I don't believe anyone has built on it yet!

The Boston boys do ton's of research so I am sure they have their reasons for specing that chassis. Just not sure I would want to be the guinea pig for a new chassis in such a high run application, unless you have good chassis manufacturer and dealer support. Then again Boston did kind of drive the C-4500 craze, so who knows maybe I should jump on the bandwagon early on. Too bad International's customer support in Metro Detroit is horrid at best!

Kris
I think the TerraStar will be a good fit for folks who liked the C4500. I think you are correct in that it will catch on. Like you said support from the chassis side is key no matter who builds the module. The drawings say Super Chief never heard of such - BIG LOL
I thought the Spartan Furion was a contender at one point?
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
It was but I am not sure what happened. Anyone got info?
Guy's no inside info here but I suspect price came into play.

Remember when first introduced Spartan had hoped for a Furion cost slightly higher than that of an International or Freightliner. Now the Furion runs easily around $125,000.00 that's being conservative. Now consider that a Terra Star is supposed to be around $45,000.00. So the price difference is $80,000.00 per chassis.

When you consider that the contract is for 30 units the savings by going with the Terra Star is 2.4 million in chassis alone.

Kris
As far as I know the Spartan Furion was never even remotely considered. International came out at some point last year and wired sensors on our current GMC/Chevy trucks to collect data on how we drive them and the stress that city streets puts on them. The Terra Star is what they came up with is guess.
Paramedics: Because firefighters need heros too!
I think I would be sick if I saw a BEMS body on the ugliest chassis ever!
Hey Ed,

A14 looked different driving by the other day. Did you get a new rig or some kind of refresh? Thanks.
[quote name='bets128' timestamp='1297907102' post='425672']

Hey Ed,

A14 looked different driving by the other day. Did you get a new rig or some kind of refresh? Thanks.

[/quote]

Frankentruck.....

A 2005 or 2006 box on a zero mile 2008 chassis. Electrical problems, it eats anti-freeze, the new EPA filter gets clogged all the time, door locks and power mirror work when they want to......other than that, it's not a bad truck. Such a reward for having the best truck in the fleet at the State Inspection 3 years in a row.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
HORTON had a Int TERRASTAR at the Virginia chiefs show and it was a nice unit the sales rep said it runs great on trip to show and this was the first one also fesco sales is getting on now and it will be at ems today show in balitmore show
[quote name='Kris' timestamp='1296960739' post='423958']

Neal,

You are correct, I don't believe anyone has built on it yet!

The Boston boys do ton's of research so I am sure they have their reasons for specing that chassis. Just not sure I would want to be the guinea pig for a new chassis in such a high run application, unless you have good chassis manufacturer and dealer support. Then again Boston did kind of drive the C-4500 craze, so who knows maybe I should jump on the bandwagon early on. Too bad International's customer support in Metro Detroit is horrid at best!

Kris

[/quote]

Horton has built 3 TerraStar Demos as of today that I know of. One of them was at the Virginia Chiefs show last week, and another is in Baltimore at EMS Today.
[quote name='pdl1970' timestamp='1299015791' post='427549']

HORTON had a Int TERRASTAR at the Virginia chiefs show and it was a nice unit the sales rep said it runs great on trip to show and this was the first one also fesco sales is getting on now and it will be at ems today show in balitmore show

[/quote]

HA! Yeah what he said... The one in Baltimore looks pretty nice! It's so new they arrived late, and put the decals on after they parked it!
[quote name='ResQguy' timestamp='1299203509' post='427857']

Horton has built 3 TerraStar Demos as of today that I know of. One of them was at the Virginia Chiefs show last week, and another is in Baltimore at EMS Today.

[/quote]

Yep there are several demos out there and lots of test beds (No ambulances test beds).

None are in actual service, that's what I call a gini-pig!

I would love to see the Horton weight cert for that rig. I suspect we are going to see issues with mfg's attempting to meet acceptable front axle weight. I don't doubt that some will build a truck with little to no available front axle payload.

I can honestly say that I have told customers to not look at this chassis for at least a year or two with them in service. I don't care who's module is on the back! They don't have anything to do with whats under the module.

Kris