Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Louis Metro
Here is the newest picture. It has been delivered with all graphics, but will be a little while until it sees service.

Cell phone photo: FF/Medic Sanders

Not too shabby!
thats a sharp ambulance
I really always loved the Real Pierce Arrow cab. The St. Louis Metro still has some around, great to see them. My personal favorite it Brentwood Engine 412.

Monarch Fire Protection District Chesterfield, Missouri

Engine 9 (Reserve)

Radio #2290

#E9656

Pierce Arrow

1500/750/30FB

[Image: 7531317604_f9d502ebd8_c.jpg]

Quint 9 (Reserve)

Radio #2292

#E3327

Pierce Arrow

1500/500

75ft Ladder (Smeal)

Note: Delivered White over Lime-Green

Note: Removed July 2012 from service, due to mechanical issues. Currently fast track purchasing a stock/demo 75ft Quint for house three. Reported Smeal, Pierce, E\-One are in the running with stock/demo quints. The 1998 Pierce Arrow Engine 2230 will become a reserve with 2290.

[Image: 7531460592_1c9ae1552b_c.jpg]

[Image: 7531467492_92925a7ce1_c.jpg]

Truck 1

Radio #2212

Pierce Dash AWS

1500/500

105ft Ladder

[Image: 7531331636_8d9e9770f7_c.jpg]

Truck 4

Radio #2242

Pierce Dash AWS

1500/450

85ft Tower Ladder

[Image: 7531332550_ae0f1899c0_c.jpg]
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
Rick, excellent pics of the Monarch rigs!

I still remember when 2292 was brand new and lime yellow (and was then the Chesterfield Fire Protection District). Before going to the 4 digit numbering system in 1989, 2292 (formerly 2212) was 301. It ran out of the old Station 1 on Olive Blvd., which is now some Montessori school, not too far from the present Station 4.

I hadn't heard that 2292 was taken out of service and that 2230 was being replaced with a 75-foot quint. I hope that they stay with Pierce.

As far as you liking Brentwood's reserve pumper, now known as 2590, as they have finally gone to 4 digits like the rest of us, that rig will be gone in about a year. From what I've heard from a Brentwood firefighter, their new Pierce Quantum PUC should be arriving next June. And I'm assuming it's going to be a PUC, because he described it as being "boxy like University City's new Pierce", which is a Velocity PUC.
[quote name='JM82' timestamp='1341842845' post='491612']

Rick, excellent pics of the Monarch rigs!

I still remember when 2292 was brand new and lime yellow (and was then the Chesterfield Fire Protection District). Before going to the 4 digit numbering system in 1989, 2292 (formerly 2212) was 301. It ran out of the old Station 1 on Olive Blvd., which is now some Montessori school, not too far from the present Station 4.

I hadn't heard that 2292 was taken out of service and that 2230 was being replaced with a 75-foot quint. I hope that they stay with Pierce.

As far as you liking Brentwood's reserve pumper, now known as 2590, as they have finally gone to 4 digits like the rest of us, that rig will be gone in about a year. From what I've heard from a Brentwood firefighter, their new Pierce Quantum PUC should be arriving next June. And I'm assuming it's going to be a PUC, because he described it as being "boxy like University City's new Pierce", which is a Velocity PUC.

[/quote]

Jeff,

Thanks for the info I found a photo by GA Dave on page 55 of old 2292 as 301, pretty cool. The old Chesterfield fleet was diverse and cool. Any Idea where the old CFPD fire houses are. I noticed House Three was rehabed in 2000. Looked like house two has also been rehabbed. I know Administration is old house Four. I figured House One was newer generation and House five was prob in their original fire house.

The boys at house four said they borrowed one of the Metro West Pumpers last week because 2292 was 10-7 and was not supposed to be used. It still had hose but the SCBA had been removed. I didnt have time to look in the compartments, had to fly in and out for photos at house four. Everyone was top notch at Monarch really nice.

Why such a resurgence of Quantum's in the Metro? I would think the Arrow XT, Dash CF, or Velocity would fit many of those departments better. Nothing against the Quantum, they just have a higher travel height and the other cabs have better step in heights that can be matched better with low bodies. That will be sad to see 2590 go, it is a really neat rig.

We will have to catch up next time, I am in the StL, this last trip was quick over my four days.

Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Rick, here's a little bit of history: Monarch Station 3 was originally Station 4, before they moved further south on Olive Blvd. into what is now the admin building. This is when they were still known as the Chesterfield FPD. They ran that as a full-fledge fire station for about 4 or 5 years, first with the Sutphen Deluge pumper and then the quint that is 2242 now, along with the ambulance.

So then the old Station 3 was closed when 4s closed and moved down the street and the old Station 4 became the new Station 3. The new Station 1 had been opened on Baxter Road and there was such a gap in coverage between 1s and 4s that the district decided to build a new Station 4 further south, on Olive Blvd. at White Road, and leave what had been the Station 4 building open strictly as the admin building. At that time there had been a lot of political turmoil going on in the district that received plenty of media coverage.

The old Station 3 was on Woods Mill Road (Hwy. 141) in front of Parkway Central Middle and High Schools. I'm not sure if the building is still there anymore. I haven't been out that way in several years. It was a small building but could fit 2 rigs in the bay. It had a double-wide bay door and not 2 single bay doors.

The old Chesterfield Station 1 is not too far south of Monarch Station 4 there on Olive Blvd. and is, I think, called Chesterfield Montissori School. When the new Station 1 was built on Baxter Road south of Chesterfield Mall, the district was still called Chesterfield FPD.

As far as Brentwood's new Quantum that they're supposed to get next June, I'm guessing that they like Richmond Heights' newer Quantum cab so much that they decided that that's what they wanted as well. I would prefer an Arrow XT or Velocity myself. The Dash CF looks nice on the outside but I'm not crazy about the small engine cowling in the rear of the cab that divides the area in two.
Great shots of Monarch MFD 61 KS! I have been facinated with this department since the 1993 article in FAJ. I'm trying to piece together their current fleet... Based on their site and what I was able to gather from this thread the fleet looks something pretty close to this. Any updates would be appreciated!

2212 - 2000 Pierce Dash 105ft Quint

2216 – 2004 Pierce Dash Rescue

2217 - 2003 Ford E-450 Ambulance

2220 – ????

2228 - GMC Brush Truck

2230 – 1998 Pierce Arrow Pumper

2237 – 1999 Ford E-450 Ambulance

2242 – 2002 Pierce Dash 85 foot tower ladder

2247 – 2003 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance

2253 – 2006 Pierce Dash pumper/tanker

2257 – 2002 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance

2277 – 1997 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance - Reserve

2287 – 1996 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance - Reserve

2290 – 1993 Sutphen Deluge Pumper - Reserve?

2292 – 1986 Pierce Arrow 75 foot Quint - Reserve now out of service?

22?? – 1990 Pierce Dash Rescue Reserve?

22?? – 1986 Pierce Arrow pumper/tanker - reserve? Out of service?

2290 – 1997 Pierce Arrow Pumper - reserve
[quote name='mussels' timestamp='1341976504' post='491839']

Great shots of Monarch MFD 61 KS! I have been facinated with this department since the 1993 article in FAJ. I'm trying to piece together their current fleet... Based on their site and what I was able to gather from this thread the fleet looks something pretty close to this. Any updates would be appreciated!

2212 - 2000 Pierce Dash 105ft Quint

2216 – 2004 Pierce Dash Rescue

2217 - 2003 Ford E-450 Ambulance

2220 – ????

2228 - GMC Brush Truck

2230 – 1998 Pierce Arrow Pumper

2237 – 1999 Ford E-450 Ambulance

2242 – 2002 Pierce Dash 85 foot tower ladder

2247 – 2003 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance

2253 – 2006 Pierce Dash pumper/tanker

2257 – 2002 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance

2277 – 1997 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance - Reserve

2287 – 1996 Ford E-450 Super Duty Ambulance - Reserve

2290 – 1993 Sutphen Deluge Pumper - Reserve?

2292 – 1986 Pierce Arrow 75 foot Quint - Reserve now out of service?

22?? – 1990 Pierce Dash Rescue Reserve?

22?? – 1986 Pierce Arrow pumper/tanker - reserve? Out of service?

2290 – 1997 Pierce Arrow Pumper - reserve

[/quote]

Thanks Mussels, I love the StL. metro so many neat rigs and departments. The Shops told me the Sutphen Deluge pumper had been disposed of. I was real hoping to get a shot of it, little too late. I forgot to ask about the Reserve Rescue.

Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
Mussels, unfortunately Monarch doesn't update their website as often as they should, as they have several new ambulances that aren't shown, plus 2220 is now a 2010 Pierce Quantum PUC pumper and not the 1996 Pierce Arrow shown above, which is the former 2220 now running as 2290.
Thanks for the input guys; that PUC sounds pretty neat. Is the old Pierce Arrow CFR/Pumper Tanker still on the roster or has that been disposed of as well?
I believe Monarch sold that rig several years ago. They've replaced that with a new pumper-tanker (2253) but I don't think it has the foam turret on the roof.
[quote name='JM82' timestamp='1342088668' post='491925']

I believe Monarch sold that rig several years ago. They've replaced that with a new pumper-tanker (2253) but I don't think it has the foam turret on the roof.

[/quote]

The latest picture I have of the former 2253 is from Fall 2007. It was parked at former house 4 (Now HQ). The current 2253 does NOT have a roof mounted turret. but it has smaller bumper mounted as seen below.

I tried uploading screen shots from Google street view, but I couldnt get them to resize small enough to post.

But the former Monarch (Chesterfield FPD) station 1 sits at Olive BLVD and White Plains Drive. Looks to be the 15400 Block of Olive.

Former Monarch (Chesterfield FPD) Station 4 is still standing Woods Mill (MO Hwy 141) in front of the Parkway Schools. Just north of Ladue Rd. The building has been completely remodeled, but if you know what youre looking for you can spot it. The hose tower is still visible as is the general shape of the bay door.

Im not sure when the buildings were vacated by the district, but I have a faint memory of both being occupied, so within the last 21 yrs. haha.
Here is Brentwood 2590 when first delivered, with its original graphics and unit number. This was the first apparatus in St Louis to be delivered in black/red. Which has started an over used trend in the area. IMO.

Also In the picture you can see the remains of a fire in a dentist office next door.

Brentwood, MO FD

Reserve Engine 2590

1994 Pierce Arrow

x-E411, Reserve E412

That would be the former Chesterfield House 3 on Woods Mill Rd.(Hwy. 141), not Station 4.

Not sure what's up with Monarch not specing a Q on the new 2253, or 2216 for that matter.

The thing I could never understand that Brentwood did years ago was that whenever it snowed they would place the above pumper out of service, which, as we all can see, has an enclosed cab, and place their reserve pumper in service, which at the time was a 1987 Pierce Arrow with an open jumpseat area (NOT an enclosed cab), and run it as the frontline pumper. From what I was told, they did this because they didn't want to run the risk of wrecking the new pumper with the streets being in bad shape due to the snow and ice. This went on for several years. I think it was stupid to allow the firefighters on jump to be exposed to the cold weather, snow, etc., when their new enclosed cab pumper sat back at the firehouse 'cuz they didn't want to wreck it! Isn't that WHY the fire service has gone to apparatus with enclosed cabs, for the safety and comfort of firefighters?!
I didnt know that Jeff, then again I was real young. Only 3 or 4 when they took delivery of the '94.

Here is the 1987 Pierce Arrow, not sure the year of this shot. But it shows the old Mack hiding in the shadows. This picture was tucked in to our copy of the 1988 Greater St Louis Area Yearbook.

Brentwood FD

1987 Pierce Arrow

Former E-411, Reserve Engine 412

Purchased by Portageville, MO FD

It looks like in the photo that Monarch FPD new 2253 does have q siren on it look at the bumper in the above photo you can see a square on the front bumper that has the federal q F stamped on it
I think that may possibly just be a Federal electronic siren logo cover covering up an electronic siren. Electronic Qs are round like their mechanical counterparts, just not as deep.

I didn't know that the old 411/412 went to Portageville, Missouri. That's interesting. I hope it's still in good shape, because I know that the guys at Brentwood babied that rig, and rightfully so. The day it left Brentwood it still looked practically new!

Yep, they'd switch over to the '87 Arrow when it snowed. They also did it years ago with their newest pumper, the Pierce Dash, where they'd run the '94 Arrow in the snow and leave the Dash in quarters. I guess that was the chief's decision, but I don't know for sure. It just seemed like backwards thinking, when they had a pumper with an enclosed cab, which was warmer and safer for the firefighters riding the jumpseats, but when it snowed they'd switch over to the '87 Arrow where the jump guys would be cold and not nearly as safe if they were to be in a collision.

I don't mean any disrespect to the Brentwood firefighters, but I didn't agree at all with that policy of switching rigs just because it snowed. That's one of the reasons for carrying insurance!
[quote name='JM82' timestamp='1342136418' post='491956']

Yep, they'd switch over to the '87 Arrow when it snowed. They also did it years ago with their newest pumper, the Pierce Dash, where they'd run the '94 Arrow in the snow and leave the Dash in quarters. I guess that was the chief's decision, but I don't know for sure. It just seemed like backwards thinking, when they had a pumper with an enclosed cab, which was warmer and safer for the firefighters riding the jumpseats, but when it snowed they'd switch over to the '87 Arrow where the jump guys would be cold and not nearly as safe if they were to be in a collision.

I don't mean any disrespect to the Brentwood firefighters, but I didn't agree at all with that policy of switching rigs just because it snowed. That's one of the reasons for carrying insurance!

[/quote]My chief had us doing the same thing when we got our new engine a couple of years ago. We took delivery in November that year. Anytime it started to snow more than a dusting we were told to move into one of our reserve engines. He was worried about it getting damaged since it was brand new. Made no sense to me. The rotating twin engines it replaced were 12 years old at the time. They got the job done, but they had a number of issues and we were able to get a new engine because of that.

Considering that our on-duty staffing was 5-7 FFs at the time and that a heavy snowfall would lengthen the time that they'd be operating at a fire before our off-duty personnel and mutual aid could arrive, using our new engine rather than an older one at risk for breaking down made the most sense to me. However, my opinion and that of some others weren't welcome.

On a related note, the reserve that got put into front line service during a major snow storm that year had practically bald rear tires. While running the initial round of calls, the chains on it started to break. I expressed my concerns over running around the city in a vehicle with bald tires and broken chains. My concerns were immediately dismissed by the chief. 20 minutes later, I was stuck sideways on a hill with that engine for about 2 hours. The street I was stuck on was basically the only way in/out of this part of that neighborhood and 2 of the 3 ambulances in my city were blocked in (with a patient, fortunately non-serious) for a significant amount of time.

3 days later, with most of our secondary streets having a couple feet of virtually unplowed snow on them still, I was driving the new engine to a car fire. Even with new tires and new chains, it was still pretty tough to get around while having to dodge numerous cars left wherever they got stuck. Apparently I (unknowingly) clipped a mirror of one of those cars on the way to the fire. The only damage to the engine was a scuff or two on the scotchlite on the front/side of the officer side and 4 or 5 of the plastic chrome lug nut covers came of and were either lost or broken. He about had a caniption over it and was considering writting me up for it. Which was pretty funny considering how lax he was with any sort of disciplinary action in general and that others have had worse or more than one accident without being disciplined.

Gotta love it.