Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Mike, thanks for the photos, as always! Great to see some rigs from my favorite area of the Commonwealth.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
[quote name='Engine 2524' post='140717' date='Aug 15 2007, 22:39 ']John is correct. This is a former Bay Head, NJ engine.[/quote]

Jay,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
According to Bill F's list, EA776 is Merck's. originally Albany, GA. 1500/200/250/250/50' TSQ.

very cool rig!

[quote name='mnsand' post='140656' date='Aug 15 2007, 21:10 ']Last one from Merck.

A Merck facility was closed (I believe in Flint River, Georgia), and as a result, one of the Merck trucks was reassigned to the Elkton facility. The Elkton facility just received this engine in 2007.

Merck & Company Inc.

Elkton, Virginia

Stonewall Plant

Engine 902

1997 Pierce Quantum

1500/200 water/400 foam

50' Telesqurt

Pierce job number EA776

Can anyone with a Pierce serial number list confirm the original destination of this Quantum?

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]
[quote name='mnsand' post='140574' date='Aug 15 2007, 19:47 ']These are the kind of stations that I love to visit....a mixture of all sorts of apparatus. Lovingston, Virginia is that kind of department. Lovingston is located between Charlottesville and Lynchburg on Route 29 in Nelson County. The challenge.....to find someone there.

I was on my way to Lynchburg when I decided to stop by Lovingston. Of course, it was closed up real tight. Neat thing about a town like Lovingston is everybody knows everybody. I have found in these kind of situations that the local auto mechanic is a great source. I stopped by, talked with him, and we was on the phone trying to track down someone for me. At his shop he had a scanner going with a speaker mounted on the wall. As we were waiting to hear a reply on someone coming down to the station, we heard an officer from Lovingston mark up on the radio asking another member if they could report to the station because someone was visiting and wanted to get apparatus photos. 20 minutes later, I met several nice Lovingston members. How is that for small town hospitality.

I need some help with this truck.....there is some confusion whether it came from a New Jersey FD or a New York FD. Since it still has some of the old markings on the truck, it should not be hard to figure out. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Lovingston, Virginia

Nelson County

Engine 11

1978 Hendrickson/Oren/Grumman

Also marked with a Great Eastern Fire plate (New Jersey FIre Equipment Corp)

1250/500

Serial number 15347

still marked with "Bay Head" markings and "Engine 1411"

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

This engine is in fact from Bay Head NJ. A small shore town near Point Pleasant in Ocean County.

Fun trivia..I was married at the church right next door to their staton!
henrico had a engine that was very similar to the one from bay hill . wonder what happened to that odd looking thing i think it was at E-9 and E-10
res4cue,

I believe this is the truck of which you speak. 1977 International/Oren, jumpseats, l/w, ex-E10/13/RE/Training, 1000/500. It retired from Training and went to the "big fire station in the sky" I believe.

Jerry
A few from Loudoun County, Virginia.

Aldie is Station 7 in Loudoun located near Gilberts Corner - Rt. 50 and Rt. 15 intersection.

Several years ago they placed into service a 2005 Smeal Sirius as their Tanker 7. It has a 1500/1760 with 40 gallons of foam.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A brand new Smeal Sirius has just entered service as Aldie's Engine 7. It is a 2007 with a 1500/750 and 20 gallons of foam. It has Smeal serial number 703050.

This replaces Aldie's 1996 Pierce Dash - more on that shortly.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Newer to Aldie is their Utility 7, a 2005 Ford F350 4x4. It carries miscellaneous supplies.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I was hoping to also photograph one of two new Ford F ambulances that have been purchased by Loudoun County. One was placed into service as Ambulance 7 and assigned to Aldie.

Ambulance 7 was running a call in Middleburg - on stand by during a large water leak problem at a local housing complex. I was also hoping to be able to photograph Middleburg's new Pierce squad and newer tanker. Unfortunately, I struck out on all three because they were all on the call in Middleburg.

I did however manage to capture Middleburg's Wagon 3, a 1992 Pierce Lance 1250/1000 with job number E7152 on standby at the call. I really like the dual Roto-Rays.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Many of Middleburg's units have the fox mural.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Back to Aldie and their 1996 Pierce Dash. I had heard that once Aldie received their new Smeal Sirius, they had planned on selling the Dash to Loudoun County to be used as a reserve engine. I am not sure what happened to that plan but Aldie did sell the Pierce - to the Sterling Volunteer Fire Department, also in Loudoun County.

It now runs as Sterling Wagon 11 and is a 1996 Pierce Dash 1500/750 with job number EA083.

Several other interesting changes at Sterling. Quint 18 (one of two identical 2000 Spartan/Smeal 75' 1500/500) has been sold. The crew believes that it went to a FD in Indiana. In addition, they told me a new 105' Quint has been ordered, they believe from Smeal.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Did the '96 Pierce Dash at Sterling Wagon 11 replace the '97 Pierce Arrow that was a glider-kit of the '91 Pierce Javelin? If so, have they disposed of it or re-assigned it?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' post='141322' date='Aug 18 2007, 15:33 ']Did the '96 Pierce Dash at Sterling Wagon 11 replace the '97 Pierce Arrow that was a glider-kit of the '91 Pierce Javelin? If so, have they disposed of it or re-assigned it?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

The 1997 Pierce Arrow glider has been gone. I was told it was sold to a military branch and is serving outside of the country. The "new" 1996 Dash is a new addition.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Bay Head NJ, now Lovingston, VA.

1978 Hendrickson/Oren 1250/750

Photo by none other than Scott Mattson, from Jenkins collection

Here are some more from Middleburg, Virginia (Loudoun County), which I visited today.

Middleburg, VA

Engine 3

1998 Pierce Saber

1250/1000

#EB919

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Big water now at Middleburg with the newer Tanker 3.

2006 Sterling LT9500/Pierce

1000/3500

job number 17835

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also newer to Middleburg is Rescue 3, a 2007 Pierce Dash that has job number 18808. This truck was purchased by Loudoun County and assigned to Middleburg.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also new to Middleburg are two identical ambulances. Ambulance 3-1 and 3-2 are 2006 Ford F450/Excellance.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Loudoun County purchased two Ford F ambulances with 4WD and put them at stations that will really need the 4WD during inclement weather.

One is assigned to Aldie Station 7 and the other is not yet in service, but I understand it will be at Neersville Station 16.

Loudoun County, VA

Aldie Station

Ambulance 7

2006 Ford F450/MedTec

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA