Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston EMS
Any news on the bumper front?
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I wonder how the crews like the International over the GMC's
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
If there were any in service, I might be able to answer that

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
None of them are in service. Still no Boston bumpers. I did however take one for a short drive. Awful turning radius and it drives like a truck! You can turn one of the GMC's inside of the turning radius of the International.
Paramedics: Because firefighters need heros too!
[quote name='fenwayfrankee' timestamp='1319460097' post='461414']

None of them are in service. Still no Boston bumpers. I did however take one for a short drive. Awful turning radius and it drives like a truck! You can turn one of the GMC's inside of the turning radius of the International.

[/quote]

I guess the larger hood/front overhang makes for a larger turning radius. International should have bought out GMC medium duty trucks when they had the chance IMHO!
People complaining about spam in the spam mail box... Huh, what'll they think of next?
[quote name='JFong' timestamp='1319471414' post='461425']

I guess the larger hood/front overhang makes for a larger turning radius. International should have bought out GMC medium duty trucks when they had the chance IMHO!

[/quote]

I second that! Missed out on a great oppertunity there.
[quote name='ffemtwakeman' timestamp='1319479567' post='461434']

I second that! Missed out on a great oppertunity there.

[/quote]

I don't know why, but the shorter hoods and the higher cab on the C series seems better than the TerraStar (cab position seems lower and the hood is longer overall).
Any TerraStars in service yet? Or any idea when we might see them on the streets of boston?
[quote name='bets128' timestamp='1323136582' post='466187']

Any TerraStars in service yet? Or any idea when we might see them on the streets of boston?

[/quote]

Nope.

The latest is that only certain trucks will be getting them, as they won't fit in many stations.....one would think this would have been addressed when the spec was written.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
must be a Boston thing
was in dorcester tonight, saw one of the new international / Braun. heard different siren, are they using new frequency siren, more a vibration siren
[quote name='AWS0019' timestamp='1324253889' post='467771']

was in dorcester tonight, saw one of the new international / Braun. heard different siren, are they using new frequency siren, more a vibration siren

[/quote]

First two are on the road at A7 in Eastie and A6 in Southie. You probably heard the [url="http://www.swps.com/whelen-howler.html?gclid=CL2opdjBja0CFUTc4Aodvz0FlQ"]"Howler"[/url], which is a low frequency generating attachment for the siren designed to be felt inside the more soundproof vehicles.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='edburke' timestamp='1324276461' post='467841']

First two are on the road at A7 in Eastie and A6 in Southie. You probably heard the [url="http://www.swps.com/whelen-howler.html?gclid=CL2opdjBja0CFUTc4Aodvz0FlQ"]"Howler"[/url], which is a low frequency generating attachment for the siren designed to be felt inside the more soundproof vehicles.

[/quote]

Looks like the same as a "Rumbler". We have one on one of our trucks. The thing never gets used.
[quote name='Union Medic' timestamp='1324761629' post='468576']

Looks like the same as a "Rumbler". We have one on one of our trucks. The thing never gets used.

[/quote]

I use it all the time. With today's soundproof cars, it really makes a difference.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
This is a bit off-topic, but since secondary sirens were mentioned here, I'll ask: Our Battalion vehicles have a secondary audible warning device on them that sounds like a low frequency tornado warning horn. It's like a wail that is very low in frequency. Any ideas?
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
[quote name='edburke' timestamp='1324276461' post='467841']

[/quote]

A18's is in service in Hyde Park. Drove by it today on my way home.
FF Sean 'Skip' Olson
Boston Fire, Ladder 14
In Memory:
FR David A. Middleton E51, LODD, Box 5247, 05/28/07
FR Paul J. Cahill E30 & FR Warren J. Payne L25, LODD, Box 4-281, 08/29/07
FLT Kevin Kelley L26, LODD, 01/09/09
FLT Edward J. Walsh E33 & FR Michael Kennedy L15, LODD, Box 9-1579, 03/26/14.
[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1326944281' post='471920']

This is a bit off-topic, but since secondary sirens were mentioned here, I'll ask: Our Battalion vehicles have a secondary audible warning device on them that sounds like a low frequency tornado warning horn. It's like a wail that is very low in frequency. Any ideas?

[/quote]

Probably a Howler or Rumbler. If the siren is on wail, it would have about the same tone as a tornado siren.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='Skip Olson BFD L14' timestamp='1326945807' post='471922']

A18's is in service in Hyde Park. Drove by it today on my way home.

[/quote]

Yes, I helped them unload two patients out of it on Sunday....A14 next to A18 at Boston Medical Center....not something you see every day.
Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
[quote name='edburke' timestamp='1326975139' post='471937']

Probably a Howler or Rumbler. If the siren is on wail, it would have about the same tone as a tornado siren.

[/quote]

Thanks, I'll ask next time I'm at the shop.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
I heard a rumor that the C4500/5500 will enter production again for the 2013 model year. Does this have any effect on the BEMS fleet? Has anyone else heard this?
[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]