Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Old FDNY rigs with new homes
[quote name='VipAG8' timestamp='1324642488' post='468364']

This 1980 Mack CF Engine from Ono Fire Company, Lebanon County PA

came from FDNY but i do not know it's history.

(Photographer Unknown)

[/quote]

I have a pic somewhere that my father took in Feb. '92 of this rig operating at a job in Rockaway, Queens when it was assigned to 268.
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
Richmond VFC on Staten Island had ex-E240 parked outside.

I'm driving one today!
You don't see too many of the Seagrave engines and ladders purchased in the last 20 years post FDNY career; is there any reason why newer FDNY rigs aren't finding second homes with departments in need once they are removed from service?
I believe its somewhere in FDNY policy of contract that appratus gets removed from service after 10 years. However, those seagraves that were just hitting 9 and 10 years of service at 9/11, when much of the reserve fleet was salvaged and place back into service to replace those destroyed.

At the same time, the Assistance to Firefighters Grants gave many of those departments who had previously purchased and rehabbed old FDNY rigs, the opportunity to buy new.

As prices of new rigs continue to climb, and the economy remains questionable, and those FDNY rigs purchased post-9/11 hit 10 years of age, I think you'll begin to see more stuff coming out of NYC, get a rehab and a fresh coat of paint, and go back to work in small towns.
Mark Cleck
Battalion Chief 2 - Hagerstown (MD) Fire Department
Assistant Chief - Belleville Fire Co. No. 1
Owner - 1965 IHC/Howe - Belleville, Pennsylvania
As of late any of the older FDNY rigs have been pretty picked over for parts. That and the city pretty much stripping anything off them to resemble a piece of fire appratus.
I believe that in years past alot of fire departments would show up at the auction. Now I think its more scrap dealers and people buying the whole truck for the pawer train and its kept the price higher than in the past.
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1326318159' post='470890']

I'm driving one today!

[/quote]

Mike,

You guys have the old Ramsey ladder back in the City? I had heard both your trucks are out along with Teaneck's ladders, and they were using our Ladder 2 to cover Teaneck.
we have L1 back, the Ramsey one is in the firehouse. I drove it back here from the Fire Academy yesterday, its a sweet ride! we got L1 back late afternoon. we were covering Teaneck west side last night. they should get one of their trucks back today. we had an Englewood Truck tuesday night and wednesday morning, then their truck broke down and they needed it back. fun day in mid-bergen!
Laconia NH Former Reserve Engine 2

A 1980 Mack CF 1000/500 - EX FDNY E268 - bought 2004 replaced 2011 by a 1991 Sutphen.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm pretty darn sure that the Laconia rig came from the Ono Fire Co. in Lebanon County, Pa. Mike, any chance you can confirm?
It did also serve as Engine 12 in Ono. . . .
Thanks for the responses everyone - all of this makes a lot of sense. Still - as a Seagrave fan - I think it would be pretty neat to see some of these rigs show up in some small towns.
it did, now owned by a FDNY fireman

Biglerville Engine 6-1. 1981 American LaFrance Century, ex Engine 61 F.D.N.Y. Refurbed in 1992 by Lady & Taylor and placed in service in Biglerville.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
The Biglerville Rig is reportedly for sale as is their E\-One Rescue.
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
[quote name='Tim' timestamp='1326560689' post='471234']

The Biglerville Rig is reportedly for sale as is their E\-One Rescue.

[/quote]

Actually the Biglerville LaFrance is sold. Stripped in their station awaiting transfer of title. And yes the rescue is for sale. They bought a Pierce rescue from a nearby department.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

They bought the Pierce Squad from Blue Ridge Fire & Rescue in Franklin County. It is a 2003 Pierce Enforcer. Nice Rig!
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' timestamp='1326563315' post='471236']

Actually the Biglerville LaFrance is sold. Stripped in their station awaiting transfer of title. And yes the rescue is for sale. They bought a Pierce rescue from a nearby department.

[/quote]

Who is the lucky new owner?
[quote name='gfd1' timestamp='1326574870' post='471248']

Who is the lucky new owner?

[/quote]

I will make an announcement very soon.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief