Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yonkers, NY FD
Is it just me, or was the back stepper on 313 flaunting an axe?  Tongue

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
The new TL-71 almost completed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Forgive me if you answered this previously, how come the tower doesn't have an Ultra cab/chassis?

Quote:Forgive me if you answered this previously, how come the tower doesn't have an Ultra cab/chassis?

It has to do with supposedly that cab being able to accommodate the largest possible motor for the TL.
Thanks!

Rig arrived at our Shops today.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:It has to do with supposedly that cab being able to accommodate the largest possible motor for the TL.

I thought that was odd that departments today don't try to have the fleet all look the same IE: chassis. Although it makes sense that the TL needs the largest motor why wouldn't they get the same chassis with smaller motor for the engines. 
Probably because the Chassis they picked for the engines had specs they liked better then that of the tower ladder.

[quote name='usonian' timestamp='1296877893' post='423827']

My immediate first thought on this rig was that it looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree of Fire Engines. Poor thing.

[/quote]
Update: The rig assigned to E-313 is being reassigned to E-304 already. I hear we are ordering 4 more of these Ferrara pumpers.

E-303 was broken In first due at a 5th alarm last week. I have a vid link of the fire if anyone wants to view it, I'll post it here.

The new TL for 71 is still at dealer so far.....

A. Fland photo.

http://youtu.be/2CcUGMVwGVw
Man, you certainly can't see the tower ladder coming down the road at all. That light package sucks big time!!

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
Quote:Update: The rig assigned to E-313 is being reassigned to E-304 already. I hear we are ordering 4 more of these Ferrara pumpers.
Why is it being reassigned?
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Quote:Why is it being reassigned?

The Chief thought it be better to evaluate at a busier (and more senior) company, Engine-304
Quote:Shot of Engine-310's 2007 ALF in front of their 115-year old Firehouse.

Anyone have the ALF serial # (VIN) of this rig & the other ALFs from Yonkers they could post?
Quote:Man, you certainly can't see the tower ladder coming down the road at all. That light package sucks big time!!

No kidding someone ought to be fired over letting that hit the streets.  Sadly I see this all too many times. 

If they hit a car at an intersection in daylight, you would need to persuade me very strongly that the driver of the car actually saw the warning lights. 

I'm sorry but they do a very poor job of actually warning anyone that it's an emergency vehicle.  You may hear the siren, but a quick look around for

the siren and you could easily over look this as being the source of the siren.  Everything on the rig including warning lights should scream MOVE

OUT OF THE WAY!  This one barely says excuse me, sort of like Hooks from the Police Academy movies.  (Yes I'm that old, that I recall those movies!)

It's almost like everyone see's that a unit meets NFPA lighting requirements and that's good enough.  When I spec out a unit lighting is the second

most important thing right after chassis (powertrain, and suspension). 

Kris
I've never had a problem not seeing the warning lights in person on the TL, except in this one video. It may have been into the sun in vid. The Battalion and new 303 have newer exceptionally bright LEDs, so bright that when you're next to them at night they are rediculously blinding!
Quote:I've never had a problem not seeing the warning lights in person on the TL, except in this one video. It may have been into the sun in vid. The Battalion and new 303 have newer exceptionally bright LEDs, so bright that when you're next to them at night they are rediculously blinding!

That's good to hear, but that video is shocking in how bad it looks.  Then again some times things don't translate good unless in person.

I've wondered if it would be usefull to have LED's that could have dual power settings so say at night you could turn the lights not directly facing traffic on a lower intensity setting.  Maybe

have the rig dived into 4 zones that could be independently controlled, then of course you need to get the guys to use it.

On a few multi-plex units I sold we did program in different flash patterns so that once on scene the lights would then flash at a slower rate not really less intense but it did help some when

walking to or looking towards the rig.

Kris
They make them with day time and night time brightness intensities.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
New TL-71.

Here's the ad with some info on the truck. (Ed, am I allowed to post this?).......

It went in service yesterday. I did some training with it last week, and was impressed in how quiet the Cummins motor ran in it.