Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department

This was before the trailers were modified.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

A shot of 10 Engine I believe a 1974 R-Model, first on the scene.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

12 Engine on Shady Ave. a 1973 R-Model I believe.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

This is a shot of Chief Leahy after he exited the structure and removed his breathing apparatus. He is at the Deputy's buggy.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

The 4 Ferrara 107 ft. Trucks when Delivered.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Why is the city buying trucks from so many different manufacturers? Wouldnt it be easier from a maintence and logistics point of view to purchase trucks from manufacturer?
yes it would, but they are going with whoever gives them the cheapest price.
The City is buying from the Pa Co-Stars Program as is Allegheny County. They dont need to bid the trucks! and the price is not allways the lowest.
Pittsburgh Pa.

Air unit MAC-2

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shoop Email me at firefighteroz15@zoominternet.net I got a few questions for you. Thanks Artie [quote name='Shoop' post='280275' date='Feb 8 2009, 19:40 ']Terry Steiner of Steiner Fire is the KME Salesman/Dealer[/quote]
Welcome artie
Sheldon444,

Pittsburgh is buying the trucks to fit their needs. In 2005 they purchased the Toyne engines which was the first purchase by the City since 2001. They proved not to hold up well. The last purchase for aerials was in 1996. Just within the last year and half the City made some changes as far as the chief. Daryl Jones formerly of the Alliquippa FD became the Chief of the department. Jim Crawford, and 1 other person I can't remember who were moved into Asst. Chief positions. They all have been working hard to change the fleet of the Pittsburgh Fire dept., as it hasn't been of the best quality. Most of the aerials were 20 years old, and the same with the engines. Pittsburgh is currently going off of the co-star program as wing 1223 said. In 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly Pittsburgh signed a contract with Seagrave to build its aerials. Pittsburgh received a total of 3 before the contract ran out. They then switched to Pierce aerials. They currently have received 3 105' and 2 75'. They have 4 more 105' and 1 more 75' on order. They are due in June after being pushed back 2 months. The engines have been contracted to KME, and have not switched. The City has received a total of 6, with 2 more due in April. The Mac unit that was just received was a toss up between KME & Pierce. KME ended up getting the contract.
[quote name='Shoop' post='282867' date='Feb 18 2009, 16:33 ']Sheldon444,

Pittsburgh is buying the trucks to fit their needs. In 2005 they purchased the Toyne engines which was the first purchase by the City since 2001. They proved not to hold up well. The last purchase for aerials was in 1996. Just within the last year and half the City made some changes as far as the chief. Daryl Jones formerly of the Alliquippa FD became the Chief of the department. Jim Crawford, and 1 other person I can't remember who were moved into Asst. Chief positions. They all have been working hard to change the fleet of the Pittsburgh Fire dept., as it hasn't been of the best quality. Most of the aerials were 20 years old, and the same with the engines. Pittsburgh is currently going off of the co-star program as wing 1223 said. In 2005 or 2006 if I remember correctly Pittsburgh signed a contract with Seagrave to build its aerials. Pittsburgh received a total of 3 before the contract ran out. They then switched to Pierce aerials. They currently have received 3 105' and 2 75'. They have 4 more 105' and 1 more 75' on order. They are due in June after being pushed back 2 months. The engines have been contracted to KME, and have not switched. The City has received a total of 6, with 2 more due in April. The Mac unit that was just received was a toss up between KME & Pierce. KME ended up getting the contract.[/quote]

The other Assistant Chief is Francis "Kip" Deleonibus. They are all doing an excellent job in replacing the aging apparatus fleet. Most of the busy stations now have apparatus thats only a couple of years old. I have a friend that works for the PBF Supply and Logistics and is involved in apparatus purchases. I'll see if they have plans to order any apparatus for the end of 2009 or 2010.
194FireGuy,

Give me heads up when ya find out. I am friends w/ the sales managers at Pierce & KME, which is where I get most of my info from those two makes. I'm going to guess that the City will order 6 more engines to replace the remaining 1990 Pierce, 1993 ALF, & 1997 Spartan/3D Engines and 1 more Pierce 105' to replace the last 87 Pierce 105'. That would put all the 96 HME/Ferrara's in as reserve.
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' post='269806' date='Dec 31 2008, 07:07 ']As for the CF's, the chief at that time, Tom Kennelly was not a fan of the Mack CF. He served as chief from 1971-1980. He went to Quail Fire Dept. in Ross Twp. and looked at theirs and felt the cabs were too big and wasn't a big fan of it. That is why the "R" was bought.[/quote]

I have a distant memory as a preschooler of the "Chiefs" from Pittsburgh coming to Cranberry Township one day to see their new CF Mack engine. Best guess is that it would have been around 72 or 73. My dad was one of the few members that worked in the township during the daytime hours and I often spent time sitting on a bar stool while the trucks would roll out.

Jonathan Olson,

Wendell NC (originally of Cranberry Twp, PA)
[quote name='mgk110' post='290811' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:27 '][ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

End of service for one of the Brockway/Maxim/Doerr refurbs.[/quote]

Mike, where is this at?
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

maybe the scrapyard on rt 837 in whitaker
Didn't engine 8 at one time have an American LaFrance Patriot?
Mike,

Get ahold of me with your work schedule for April. I won't be able to make any trips out until then because of going to Florida. When I get back I plan on making a few trips.