Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boston EMS
New Ambulance 14, 2015 International Terrastar/Braun.  In service on Thursday June 3, 2015

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Ed, did they dump the MB series license plate or does PHC now own the vehicles as opposed to the City?
The Walsh administration said no more MB plates as the PHC is not an actual city agency.

Plus, the plates kept walking.....strange

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Are those the new Whelen rotator style LED on the upper module corner?

They look like Powerarc 210's, or maybe 180's. Oscillating LED's.
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Powerarcs on the front, Rotabeams on the back.  I like the Rotabeam better.  Technology has progressed significantly over the past 30 years-sealed beam, belt driven lights gave way to halogen bulbs with rotating mirrors, those were replaced with strobes which eliminated the motors necessary to move the lights or mirrors, then LEDs, which reduced power consumption significantly.  The motors in the Powerarc are just returning to higher power consumption and moving parts to break.  It's just a guaranteed revenue stream for Whelen in my opinion.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Can you take a picture of the rear for us to see?
Thanks Ed looks very nice.
Quote:Can you take a picture of the rear for us to see?
I will.  I'll see what I can do for video, as a photo doesn't do the Rotabeam justice.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Off, on and video....pardon the quality-cell phone shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2GgMipr020

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Interesting discovery today.  Northwest Rescue is a private ambulance service located in the next county over.  We don't work with them, but they do run through our district on a regular basis doing critical care transports from a smaller hospital to a larger one near us. 

Today one of their units was involved in a relatively minor traffic accident, which we responded to.  I noticed their rig was not the typical medium duty stuff we see here, and I was informed it was a prior Boston EMS rig.  It looks exactly the part...

The IH rig was said to be from somewhere in Florida, Miama-Dade was brought up but not confirmed.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but my attachment won't show up.
We still have GMC/Chevy's in service, so if it was an IH, it wasn't one of ours.  It could have been built off of our specs.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Quote:We still have GMC/Chevy's in service, so if it was an IH, it wasn't one of ours.  It could have been built off of our specs.

Sorry... in the photo I attempted to post there was also an IH 4-door Medtec.  The rig that wrecked was definitely a GM medium duty chassis.  Finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is it me or is there something eerie about having to ride in a black ambulance?

Quote:Is it me or is there something eerie about having to ride in a black ambulance?

I made the comment the other day about this.  For anyone that has seen "Dirty Jobs," remember the Vex Con exterminator folks?  Their uniforms look just like them.

They're great people that work at the company, and I'm sure they do a great job with the work they do (they must be doing something right, they move a lot of people from point A to point B through our district since we see them so much), but the black is interesting.
Definitely one of our 2003's.  The LED panel for the truck number is the giveaway.  The Office of Emergency Medical Services allowed them when we got the first order, but insisted that we not get them in the future, as it was too easy to change the number, making it a potential issue if an investigation into the activities of a truck was necessary.

Nice to see it still in use.  The GMC/Chevys have been the most rugged and dependable trucks I have ever worked in.

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net
Quote: 

Sorry... in the photo I attempted to post there was also an IH 4-door Medtec.  The rig that wrecked was definitely a GM medium duty chassis.  Finally figured out what I was doing wrong.
I don't think the 4-door is a Medtec.  It looks more like a Medic Master to me from this limited view.
Could be.  They pulled up in a 4-door Medtec after the wreck, and I just assumed that was the one in the photo. I know they have at least three rigs, possibly more.

Just found this photo of another of their rigs.  Definitely a different 4-door IH.  This makes four unique all black medium duty boxes they run.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That one looks like a Medtec.

Another of the '03s still going strong

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162013205697?forcerRptr=true&item=162013205697&viewitem=

Ed Burke
Firepics Administrator

Fireground Photos.net