Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Old FDNY rigs with new homes
[quote name='Tommy McQuade' timestamp='1356840485' post='506457']

Laconia needed a replacement truck like yesterday when they got the former FDNY Mack, and rather than allow the Fd enough money to buy a new truck like a demo the city mismanager at the time directed the Chief to buy a used truck. The Mack "sounded" like a good deal at the time they bought it, but once it was in the city, the truth came out. Like ShoreFire said, not all former FDNY rigs are beat to hell, but like anything it's a crap-shoot when you cut corners and buy used. There are several former FDNY Mack Aerialscopes and a couple of Seagrave ladders still in service in the Granite State, and I think at least one or two pumps in the area as well

[/quote]

That's exactly my point. Even with a decent PM program, finding that City Island or BOT rig is a real crapshoot. Many chauffeurs on the job (not all, but I'm told many) just don't give a s**t and just fill it with fuel and go. I get compliments from the shop guys for looking out for my rig and picking their brains and taking care of it best I can. And city "mismanager" works well here too.

Stay safe, Brothers. Especially in the New Year.
Kill 'em all, let Allah sort 'em out. NEVER forget 9/11/01 WTC, Pentagon, Pa. Avenge the acts with NO mercy.

Thanks to ALL the Brothers who were there 9/11/01 and afterwards. Words can never say what appreciation we have for you all.
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1317958291' post='459407']

James City-Bruton, VA

[/quote]

Here it is before the re-chassis.

The spirit of Louisiana rig that was donated after 9/11 and served at E283 was Loaned to the long beach FD after hurricane Sandy, now loaned to the West Hamilton Beach FD
[quote name='jlg1875' timestamp='1356919673' post='506574']

Does anyone know if the Abbey still operates this rig? I vaguely remember seeing it for the first time in a very old issue of FAJ, probably back in the 80s.

[/quote]

Yes and no. The Abbey doesn't have a formal brigade any more. There are only 3 brothers now that still work on the truck. They've rolled to a car fire not long ago until spencer got there. The Abbey is located in the north part of town. If Spencer loses a rig for repairs they will loan them their rig.

Back in the day they had a decent sized crew. A lot of the monks were retired firefighters from all over new england. There were some retired from FDNY hence the old FDNY rig. They used to respond to working fires in Spencer. I believe the shop number was MP7201. Coincidently enough I am in the process of helping the Spencer chief do some radio programming. The Abbey truck is on the list for this week. Spencer maintins the radio equipment and provides hand me down gear and equipment.

If anyone has specific truck questions I will see it thursday or friday.
[quote name='FDNYTRUCKS.com' timestamp='1317956558' post='459379']

Taylor, PA

[/quote]

Now in service in Charlton, MA. Truck recently recieved major damage at a mill fire in town over the summer due to parking it too close. A lot of electrical damage. I will look for a pic of it lettered for Charlton.
http://www.firenews.org/mass/c/CharltonScope1.jpg
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (KJV)
The Annville tower is now owned by a private owner from Murrysville Pa
[quote name='Crossbronxxpress' timestamp='1356801960' post='506391']

According to Peter Aloisi's book "Fire Apparatus Fighting Fires"...........St. Joseph's Abbey in Spencer, Mass. had a former FDNY Mack CF engine from the 70's that was only used at FDNY Chauffer Training School...............Martinelli can fill you in on the exact year of the rig.

[/quote]

Here is a shot of the ole girl I took today after radio programming. The Spencer fire chief was nice enough to take me for a ride around town in the truck.

Paul

[Image: 75090_10151172790190178_1737369342_n.jpg]
A pic of the radio channel line up.

[Image: 299063_10151172789895178_1133161802_n.jpg]
Final shot. FDNY shop number.

[Image: 226629_10151172790360178_1654876151_n.jpg]
Thanks for posting the photos Paul, still looks great!
FDNY's former L-27, a 1974 Seagrave, 100ft. Rear Mount found it's way down to Surfside Beach, South Carolina, Wayne Greer Photo, DanEvans collection.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:FDNY's former L-27, a 1974 Seagrave, 100ft. Rear Mount found it's way down to Surfside Beach, South Carolina, Wayne Greer Photo, DanEvans collection.
This is long gone. They replaced it years ago with a Grumman Aerialcat and that with a HME Tower Ladder a couple years ago.
Quote:This is long gone. They replaced it years ago with a Grumman Aerialcat and that with a HME Tower Ladder a couple years ago.

Here it was when it was still assigned to 27.............................Anyone have an idea as to it's current whereabouts?

Photo courtesy of Mike Martinelli
The only MARC in 46 ENGINE!

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01 F.D.N.Y. 343

RIP FF John Bellew 27 Truck F.D.N.Y. 1-23-05

RIP Captain Frank Keane 46 Engine F.D.N.Y 12-11-06
I stopped off  at the Port of Seattle, Fishermen's Fall Festival
a few weekends ago and stumbled upon a rehabbed FDNY E290 MP7831, Mack CF611F1955

Some time ago a Pennsylvania Fire Department had a rescue box installed on the chassis.  It is currently owned by John & Lori Bartleson who use it to promote their Life Safety Educational program based in Bellingham, WA  
www.facebook.com/firefightersforfun

Ex- Linglestown Fire Company, Linglestown, PA   see post 108

Ex-
Junction Fire Company, Lewistown, PA  see post 109

Currently owned by a Life Safety Educational group of Bellingham, WA.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

EX-FDNY E290 MP7831

Bob Lukas Photos

FDNY E290 MP7831

A little more history on the CF-Model Mack pictured above.  Linglestown placed this rig in service in 1993.  The box is X-Goodwill Fire Company of Enhaut, Pa (a neighboring company to Linglestown) and is a 1975 Swab body.  It was sold to the Junction Fire Company in 2006.

Jesse Shutt

Fisherville Volunteer Fire Company #1 (Dauphin Company 216)

Upper Dauphin County Emergency Medical Services (Dauphin Company 6)

Past President Dauphin County Volunteer Firemen's Association

Upper Dauphin County Fire Historian
Quote:A little more history on the CF-Model Mack pictured above.  Linglestown placed this rig in service in 1993.  The box is X-Goodwill Fire Company of Enhaut, Pa (a neighboring company to Linglestown) and is a 1975 Swab body.  It was sold to the Junction Fire Company in 2006.

Thanks for the information.  Here's a detail pic of some of the signage on the side of the body.

And I'm thinking that ITE was probably did the major rehab work.