Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
Last from Fincastle is the station - an addition being built in the back.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, Va

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Mike,

Two questions:

1. Why could you only take one photo at Blairs? Time constraints?

2. Did you take the FXCO tanker at the same time the Singer photographer was shooting it? It looks like the exact same position and background in the one that I was sent by SAFE.

Jerry
[quote name='firemag' post='150224' date='Sep 22 2007, 09:38 ']Mike,

Two questions:

1. Why could you only take one photo at Blairs? Time constraints?

2. Did you take the FXCO tanker at the same time the Singer photographer was shooting it? It looks like the exact same position and background in the one that I was sent by SAFE.

Jerry[/quote]

Jerry,

Sent you an email on Blairs.

I did not see a Singer photographer. When I visit Singer and find a truck, we generally take it to the same spot within the complex. That will change with Singer moving towards the end of the year to their new Manassas facility.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Iron Gate was another good stop. I was making my way from Fincastle to West Virginia. I had visited Iron Gate many years ago on the way to a Virgina State convention, so I somewhat remembered where the station was. Not surprisingly, the station was closed up tight. A neighbor saw me looking through the garage windows and happened to be a member of the FD. He could not drive, but made a phone call and shortly someone was down moving apparatus around.

Iron Gate is in Alleghany County, Virginia.

First up is Tanker 1, a 1987 International Navistar/Slagle's 500/1800. It carries Slagle's s/n TWT8222. The name "Boodles" on the truck is referring to a Iron Gate firefighter now deceased who loved driving this truck.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Although marked Truck 1, this is actually Utility 1. A 1994 Ford F Super Duty/Northeast Emergency Vehicles. Utility 1 is equipped with an air cascade system, the only one I was told in Alleghany County.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
This was definitely one of my favorites during this trip.

Iron Gate's Wagon 1 has this eye catching color scheme. It is a 2005 E\-One Cyclone II 1250/1000 and has serial number 129282.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is a close up of some of Wagon 1's insignia's.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Another interesting engine at Iron Gate is their Engine 1, a 1996 International 4900/Smeal with a unique four door. Complete with a top mount 1000 gpm pump, it carries 850 gallons of water. It has serial number 692250.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
A different angle of Engine 1's cab area.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I took the opportunity to get a group photo of Wagon 1 and Engine 1.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Iron Gate fire station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Let's me try that again.

Iron Gate fire station.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Final shot from Iron Gate - close up of the FD sign on the firehouse.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Not far from Iron Gate is Sharon, Virginia. Again, no luck finding anyone at the station. As I was heading towards a local business to try and track someone down, a very nice gentleman drove up to the station and said he would be happy to pull out all of the apparatus for photos.

Sharon has two stations.....each across the street from each other. Their original station houses two pieces of equipment and has a room for tv, hanging out, etc. The main station has three bays on the front and an additional three bays on the side.

First up from Sharon is their Engine 82, a 1997 KME 1000/1000. It has serial number GSO3463. Since the guys knew I was from Northern Virginia, they asked me if I knew anything about the apparatus at O.W.L. (Woodbridge, Va) in Prince William County. Although this is a KME, O.W.L. runs similar pumpers (E\-One's and they once had a Pierce) that looked similar. I found it funny that Sharon members knew about the O.W.L. trucks.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Also at Sharon is Engine 84, a 1992 International/Ferrara 1000/1250. I could find no serial number plate on this truck.

This International's turning radius is, let's say, a bit challenging.

Sharon has one more engine, an interesting KewWorth Hustler/FMC that was out for repairs. I will be back in the area in the near future and hope to be able to photograph this KW.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is my favorite at Sharon - Attack 81.

Sharon, VA

Attack 81

2006 GMC 5500/KME

500/300

s/n GSO 6494

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Sharon has two trucks that were previously owned by Virginia Power and later donated to Sharon.

Truck 86 is the department's HAZMAT unit and is a 1987 International 1654/Knapheide.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The other old Virginia Power truck is Utility 85, which is a 1984 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe/Altec.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Brush fire duties are handled by Brush 83, a 2006 Ford F350/Slagle's 200/250/8 foam.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Sharon has no ambulances, but they do have a first responder program. Most of the EMS first responder calls are handled by Rescue 87, a 1998 Ford E/Chief's Fire and Rescue. It has a Quigley 4WD conversion. Rescue 87 was purchased new by Sharon.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA