Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Virginia apparatus - miscellaneous
I will wrap up Sharon with a variety of station shots.

At the main station facing the main road going through Sharon - the department's three engines are housed here.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The other side of this building houses Attack 81, Truck 86 (HAZMAT), and Brush 83.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
And finally from Sharon is the original station, which is directly across the street from the main station and houses Rescue 87 and Utility 85.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Great photos.

I believe that Gretna E223 is a Protector chassis judging by the windshield wiper position and side air intakes.

Corrections welcome.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
I will wrap up this series of postings from a fire department that I have been working on for some time to visit. I had the opportunity to visit about 10 years ago, after going through some extensive security measures. About 2 years ago, I asked to visit again because I knew new apparatus had arrived. I was denied because of new and tightened security. After continuing to check with the fire department, things finally worked out and I had the opportunity to visit the Warrenton Army Training Center in Warrenton, Virginia.

This facility is located just outside of Warrenton in Fauquier County. I also understand that this FD also provides protection to another facility located in Culpeper County. Very tight security measures and I still don't have a real good idea what goes on here. I understand that it is a communications and support facility for the National Communications System (NSC), and the US Army serves as the executive agent for the administration and management of the facilities on behalf of the NSC.

Once approval and all of the security stuff was taken care of, the Fire Chief and the crew were just outstanding. There was only one requirement - no apparatus photos in front of any building or other structure. I am becoming use to this requirement after visiting FEMA's Mt. Weather facility in Virginia. The Chief made a great recommendation for a photo area, and I had the opportunity to visit this past week.

Let's start with the FD's logo.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The Warrenton Army Training Center operates two engines. They will respond off the facility into Fauquier County and are part of the running assignment for box alarms in the county. The only time they will not go off the facility is when one of the pumpers is out of service. The facility must have a pumper there at all times.

Wagon 19 is a 2004 Pierce Dash equipped with a 2000/750/40/40. It was ordered with another Pierce truck, which you will see shortly. An interesting feature is that this Dash has seating for 4 - driver, officer, and two in the back. It carries 1000' of 4" supply line.

This 2004 Pierce Dash replaced a 1977 Mack R/Hamerly engine. The Mack is still on the facility but is out of service and disposition is unknown. The FD really like the Mack and had it at the Singer repair shop to see what kind of work (and how much) would take to get it back to a operational status. Unfortunately, the amount of work and dollars was to great. So, it remains on the facility but will not be running with the fire department.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The facilities second pumper is Engine 19, a 1988 Pierce Dash that has a 1250/750/40. It carries job number E4315.

Like Wagon 19, the '88 Dash carries 1000' of 4 inch supply line. For its age, it is in excellent condition and the FD plans on keeping this one for awhile.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I had heard that the Army Training Center in Warrenton had received some sort of HAZMAT truck. This one is nice and I am very impressed with the amount of work the FD put in specing out a very useful truck.

HAZMAT 19 is a three door 2004 Pierce Enforcer. It carries Pierce job number 15408. This HAZMAT came off the Pierce line just before Wagon 19, which has a job number of 15409. The contract awarded to Pierce stipulated that both must be delivered together. HAZMAT 19 was a bit more extensive when compared to Wagon 19, so Pierce had to make some adjustments in their production schedule to meet that requirement.

This truck has alot to offer - HAZMAT, confined space, 6 bottle cascade system, weather station, awning, library, refrigerator, light tower, camera on a mast, and a well designed layout of equipment within the compartments.

Another unique fact about the HAZMAT is that the engine exhaust comes out on the drivers side instead of the officers side. This arrangement was made because all of the HAZMAT suites and dressing occurs on the officers side, so the FD did not want the engine exhaust to be a problem.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Here is the other side of HAZMAT 19...

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Rear photo of HAZMAT 19 which shows the camera mast.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
and a photo with the camera mast as well as the light tower up.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Attack 19 is the newest arrival at the Warrenton Army Training Center.

2006 GMC C550/2007 Pierce

500/300/40

job number 18181

Wildland piece

Primary piece for helicopter landings

500' of 4 inch hose

monitor on front is operated by a joy stick in the cab

ligh tower

No booster reel, however the rear compartment has two portable reels of 200 feet of 1 inch hose

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
The other side of Attack 19.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Medic 19 is one of two ambulances at the facility. The other ambulance is a standard government issued white with a orange stripe Chevrolet.

Medic 19 has some unique graphics. A second similar unit is on order.

Medic 19

2003 GMC C4500/P.L. Custom

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Support 19 does a variety of different functions.

2006 Ford F350/Knapheide

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA

Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
Unfortunately, I was not allowed to photograph a very unique fire station in which most of the apparatus is kept.

The Warrenton Army FD operates from two stations. The main station is referred to as "Station B" and houses Wagon 19, HAZMAT 19, Medic 19, Medic 19-1, and Support 19. "Station A" houses Engine 19 and Attack 19. Each shift has between 7-8 for staffing. Most of the staff is at Station B, and one is assigned to Station A, usually staffing Attack 19.

The department has a total staffing of 20, consisting of the Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, Assistant Chief, 3 Captains, Inspector, Assistant Inspector, and firefighter/EMT or firefighter/medic.

One other comment about Attack 19 - it replaced the departments brush truck, a 1988 Ford F350 pick up. The Ford F is now used by the Inspector and carries equipment for that purpose. The skid mount was removed.

Virginia has it share of FD's "Behind the Fence". This is yet another example of one with some interesting appartus.

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
As always, great pics Mike! Thanks for sharing!
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

Very nice pics, the positioning on those Warrenton Army Training Center vehicles was just perfect!
[quote name='mnsand' post='150369' date='Sep 22 2007, 16:50 ']Medic 19 is one of two ambulances at the facility. The other ambulance is a standard government issued white with a orange stripe Chevrolet.

Medic 19 has some unique graphics. A second similar unit is on order.

Medic 19

2003 GMC C4500/P.L. Custom

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA[/quote]

Let me revise this....a 2003 Chevrolet. Thanks Jerry.

Mike Sanders

Ashburn, VA
Mike Sanders

Winchester, VA
I believe the Gretna Engine 222 came from the Talley's Crossing FD in Forsyth County which is near Winston Salem.