Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crusin' Carolina
[quote name='Sheldon444' post='328290' date='Aug 9 2009, 09:40 ']Rumor had it Hilton Head was going to send back two of the units and try to get two quints. With the economy how it is though, that may have changed.[/quote]

Interesting. Is it a mechanical issue with the two or an engine vs. quint issue? Just curious. If and when I can get a break I'm heading down there to shoot them. Savannah recieved their three new Sutphens as well so a trip is due soon.
Drew James
GA Paramedic
[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='328544' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:53 ']Are these the HHFD units, listed for sale on the home page of the dealer's website?:

[url="http://www.seapparatus.com/"]http://www.seapparatus.com/[/url][/quote]

I guess that answers my question. Wonder what brought this about.
Drew James
GA Paramedic
Here is a few shots from the FES yard in Sumter. An unusual Spartan GT-One/American LaFrance from Monks Corner. If I am not mistaken, this truck was started by American Fire Eagle and finished by American Lafrance after AFE went belly up. Maybe its an omen!

Attached Files Image(s)

Next is a shop queen, a L Ford tanker from Lee County with a local built body.

Attached Files Image(s)

Finally a Sutphen tower from Holly Hill in Orangeburg County. I think it came from Goose Creek Rural in Berkley County before that and I am not sure where it was from originally but I am sure it was out of state. Someone my recognize the graphics.

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='328544' date='Aug 10 2009, 09:53 ']Are these the HHFD units, listed for sale on the home page of the dealer's website?:

Those are the trucks. From what I have heard (rumor) Hilton Head needs to put a second truck company into service but can not hire the additional personel. They have a deal with ISO that if they have two quints on opposite ends of the island they will get the credit. They had two quints in service, but they replaced them with engines in this new fleet order.

Interesting. What a waste of time and energy. Fight for funds and approval, develop specs, go out for bid, wait about a year, have the apparatus delivery and then for what every reason it all falls apart. I wonder what the story is.
Hilton Head was awarded a SAFER grant which would have given them the manpower to staff the engines that replaced the quints as engines and add a truck company to the existing truck company. The town turned down the SAFER grant because as reported in the media, the town would not have the funds to retain them after the grant was over. I think they were the first to get a SAFER and turn it down. Now they have the need to have the ladder on the quints back for ISO credit to cover for the truck company that is not going to happen. They want to sell the two engines and get two quints. This is the story I have heard. I do not have this first hand.
they're not the only ones....

[quote name='Trulucky' post='328826' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:17 ']Hilton Head was awarded a SAFER grant which would have given them the manpower to staff the engines that replaced the quints as engines and add a truck company to the existing truck company. The town turned down the SAFER grant because as reported in the media, the town would not have the funds to retain them after the grant was over. I think they were the first to get a SAFER and turn it down. Now they have the need to have the ladder on the quints back for ISO credit to cover for the truck company that is not going to happen. They want to sell the two engines and get two quints. This is the story I have heard. I do not have this first hand.[/quote]
Been awhile since I posted. Havent gone anywhere in a month or so due to an infection/surgary recovery. Here's just a couple pics from trips back in Aug. HOWEVER, Monday starts fire Prevention week. Lots of places to go and do. Here's my Itinararry.

Monday. 11am Columbia,SC fire prevention parade on Main st. Then about town.

Tuesday. Keowee Key open house

Wed. Clemson/Central display in am

Thurs. Greenville county--Walmart in Taylors and Ingles in Moonville.(they will be there thurs-sat both locations) in the evening Easley sc open house.

Sat Union county fire parade 10 am, then off to Lancaster, SC at the Walmart.

Here is a couple recent pics.

South Greenville Rescue 1, 2007 American Lafrance

[Image: fire1009.jpg]
From Williamston, SC

Engine 3 1993 E\-One CYCLONE. 1 st roto ray I have ever seen down South. The only other ones Ive seen here is Wade Hampton FD Eng's2,3

[Image: fire1042.jpg]
Williamson Eng 2. 1997 KME with International body

[Image: fire1026.jpg]
The Pride of Williamston Fmr Eng 1 a 1936 Champion Fire Engine mfg by W.S. Darley Company. Chevrolet body with front mount 500 GPM Darley pump

[Image: fire1051.jpg]
Next is 2 rigs from Pelham-Batesville Eng 3 and Eng 4. twin 2008 Pierce's

t

[Image: cannon134.jpg]

[Image: cannon136.jpg]
Mauldin, Sc eng 3, 2009 Pierce Contender

[Image: cannon137.jpg]
Now this beast. Simpsonville, SC. 2009 Pierce rescue 1. Not a good shot, but best position I could manage. It is the largest rescue truck in SC.

[Image: cannon130.jpg]
I posted this truck A time ago in another topic. Glendale ladder 1--Spartanburg, sc. Anyone have any info on it. I didnt even know they had this truck so I'm guessing it is fairly new.

[Image: fire1076.jpg]
Gary, Williamston's Engine 3 formerly served Odenton, MD, thus the Roto-Ray. Nice shots!
Andrew C. Messer

Haywood County, NC

FM1/1823

Visit My Photo Website! WNC Fire Pics

Proverbs 3:5-6

The 1993 E\-One with a roto-ray is from Odenton MD.
Great shots Gary! Hope all went well with your surgery. Sure do love that SC state flag inside the grille.
Drew James
GA Paramedic