Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
[quote name='Dr. Stinebaugh' timestamp='1297012618' post='424053']

Bring Back the Gold & Black paint scheme!

[/quote]

I am a fan of original paint schemes. This definately stands out.
Roy J. Ward
DCFD
Sergeant
Tower 3 Platoon 2
Bring Back the Gold & Black paint scheme!

GO [color="#FFFF00"][/color]STEELERS!!!

[/quote]

1984 Duplex/Thibault 100'

Denis Gardner photo, Jenkins collection

Attached Files Image(s)

[quote name='DCpsychwardFD' timestamp='1297013638' post='424056']

I am a fan of original paint schemes. This definately stands out.

[/quote]

I do like the Gold & Black BUT the paint color BEFORE that... ORIGINAL was All Red! I wish Companies/Departments would dump the 2 tone white and red or black and red and go back to ALL RED. Or one Dept I want back to another color is Balto... ORANGE and White!
[quote name='Fireman5230' timestamp='1297149852' post='424217']

I do like the Gold & Black BUT the paint color BEFORE that... ORIGINAL was All Red! I wish Companies/Departments would dump the 2 tone white and red or black and red and go back to ALL RED. Or one Dept I want back to another color is Balto... ORANGE and White!

[/quote]

Totally agree!!!!!
While not the "traditional" colors for a fire truck, I miss all of the distinctive paint schemes used in the past. Baltimore was always my favorite with the White and Orange, but I also miss the Stars & Bars from D.C., the White/Lime with the Red stripe from Newark, the Black/Gold from Pittsburgh, and a few others. White/Red tends to get a bit boring when EVERYBODY uses it!
[quote name='jquest6368' timestamp='1297177892' post='424224']

While not the "traditional" colors for a fire truck, I miss all of the distinctive paint schemes used in the past. Baltimore was always my favorite with the White and Orange, but I also miss the Stars & Bars from D.C., the White/Lime with the Red stripe from Newark, the Black/Gold from Pittsburgh, and a few others. White/Red tends to get a bit boring when EVERYBODY uses it!

[/quote]

J,

With Newark I grew up in the time frame of Lime/White/Red and liked it but have to say that old RED was nice as well as the Lime/White and GOLDLEAF... seeing more and more old rigs... that Red Sticker Lettering looks boring!
A pretty good line up of the makes and models of the PBF today:

[Image: IMG_0761.jpg]

E8 - Toyne (One of the busiest units in the city)

E12 - American Lafrance

X7 - Pierce, I believe standing in for E17

E32 - KME
Hardy, William C

Larimer VFD, Westmoreland County Station 1

Westinghouse Waltz Mill VFB, Westmoreland County Station 116
One of two American LaFrances left in the city of Pittsburgh.

E12

1994 American LaFrance

1750/500

[Image: IMG_0766.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0770.jpg]

As you can tell, they have served the city well (yes, there is paint missing from the front).
Hardy, William C

Larimer VFD, Westmoreland County Station 1

Westinghouse Waltz Mill VFB, Westmoreland County Station 116
Confirmed today that Pittsburgh has a couple engines on order. Still trying to find out for sure who the manufacturer is and how many. Will give more info, when obtained. Engine 12, 16, and 20 are all due for the next batch.
[quote name='LarimeSta1' timestamp='1301351771' post='431660']

One of two American LaFrances left in the city of Pittsburgh.

E12

1994 American LaFrance

1750/500

[Image: IMG_0766.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0770.jpg]

As you can tell, they have served the city well (yes, there is paint missing from the front).

[/quote]

These American LaFrance's were built on HME chassis'.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Can some one explain what happened during the 1992 reorganization? What is differnt now than pre 1992?

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
I think the bid went to Spencer Fire App. Also from what I was told a new Rescue Engine is in the works for Wilkensburg FD / NOW PBF ENGINE 16. Wilkensburg did Rescue and now that the City took over Wilkensburg FD it will need to do extrication/rescue work, as Pittsburgh EMS is not providing EMS/Rescue to Wilkensburg. Also Wilkingburg received a grant for an engine.
[quote name='MFD 61 KS' timestamp='1301409695' post='431731']

Can some one explain what happened during the 1992 reorganization? What is differnt now than pre 1992?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

[/quote]

Rick, 1992 was a bad year for the bureau. All tillers went O.O.S., replaced by straight trucks, Engines 1,5,14,18,23,27,33,& 35 were taken out of service. Trucks 1,5,7,15,18,27,35,& 37 were taken out of service. Compaines 18, 23, & 27 became quints, they are called engines though, they were 1992 American LaFrances with 75' sticks on a tandem axle. These were the last LaFrances to come out of the American LaFrance facility on Neville Island. Squads, 11, 12, 24, 28 & 33 were disbanded. This was a major shakup, but not the last. The city of Pittsburgh is the only major city in the U.S. to not have an engine or truck company located in the downtown district. At one time, there were 3 engines and a truck located in one house in downtown. The city still owns the building, however, last week there were talks of selling it. Back in the mid 80's there were over a 1,000 firefighters on the job. Now there are under 800. Shoop would be able to fill us in on the more specifics.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

[quote name='Wing1223' timestamp='1301427981' post='431793']

I think the bid went to Spencer Fire App. Also from what I was told a new Rescue Engine is in the works for Wilkensburg FD / NOW PBF ENGINE 16. Wilkensburg did Rescue and now that the City took over Wilkensburg FD it will need to do extrication/rescue work, as Pittsburgh EMS is not providing EMS/Rescue to Wilkensburg. Also Wilkingburg received a grant for an engine.

[/quote]

From what I heard, the city had thrown out all bids and was to re-bid. Not sure how true that is. Wilkensburg, did receive a grant for a new rescue/engine, when that comes in, it will be the new PBF 16 Engine. The ladder, Pierce engine, and Mack CF are to be sold.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Ed,

Pittsburgh's engines are ordered. I'm just waiting to here from a higher up as to how many, who is building, and when. Engine 16 will be getting 1 for sure, which as Wing said, should be a rescue/engine set up.
The Rescue/Engine has not been bid yet. and as for the Engines the bid was for 3. And the City takes over the Wilkensburg station this Friday.
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' timestamp='1301489198' post='431919']

From what I heard, the city had thrown out all bids and was to re-bid. Not sure how true that is. Wilkensburg, did receive a grant for a new rescue/engine, when that comes in, it will be the new PBF 16 Engine. The ladder, Pierce engine, and Mack CF are to be sold.

[/quote]

Does anyone have the years and specs on the newer Pierce and Mack CF engines that Wilkinsburg has? I have an old roster that doesn't show either one, only the 1986 Pierce Dash as Engine 3. On CBS Pittsburg.com they have a video showing Wilkinsburg main station with E1 which looks to be at least a 1998 Pierce Dash and E2's Mack CF.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Stupid question time...

What is transpiring with PBF and Wilkensburg with regard to coverage/merger/take over? And is this planned anywhere else in the area?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Jeff,

Wilkinsburg had a 97 Pierce Dash, 87 Pierce Dash, 77 Mack X-West View, PA, and the 01 ALF/LTI ladder.

Ladder 68,

Wilkinsburg and Pittsburgh are merging. No other ones that I know of. Wilkinsburg will become Pittsburgh Station 16. Pittsburgh is only intending on running 1 engine out of Wilkinsburg.

Wing1223,

Who all bid? I was told by a friend of mine in the City that 1 of these engines on order will be the new Engine 16. That may not 100% correct though. I'm guessing that Ferrara was 1 of the bidders.
Patrick,

Thanks for the information. Is Wilkensburg going to stay an independent entity and contract out fire protection? Or is this a true city merger of area, government and all departments?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com