Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Alarms & Special Calls - Piedmont, WV 1/9/2014
I call this one... Old and New.

Newly Minted Chief 24 - Zach Barb confers with Wayne Rounds, Deputy Chief 19 from Barton Hose. 

Wayne recently stepped down to the Deputy's position after 30 + years as Chief 19.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
And speaking of Deputies... Mineral County Sheriff Deputies help stretch lines from Rescue Engine 39 - Fountain.

I guess it should be said, but the Sheriff of Mineral County and several of his deputies are members of Fountain FD.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Engine 39 - Fountain on Ashfield Street.

Rescue Engine 141 - Elk District 

Some of the departments traveled over 20 mile in response....

Attached Files Image(s)

Fire in the window.

Due to Water pressure diminishing, Tankers were special called to the scene. If needed a tanker shuttle could be established hauling water from Westernport, MD across the river to Piedmont. Luckly this was not required. 

Rescue Engine 171 - Shaft, MD on scene

Tri-Towns EMS from Westernport would staff a ALS and a BLS unit during the incident.

Photos Courtesy: EMT Carey M. Williams, Tri-Towns EMS

Command conferring with crews........

This one is out of rotation....

Another street shot.

Ridgeley, WV  Chief - Rodney Twyman prepares his saw. Rodney originally a Piedmont resident and Tri-Towns member responded over 20 miles with his company from the other end of Mineral County.

Keyser EMS ambulance on standby at the scene......

I didn't go to the scene originally, as I figured my department would end up somewhere on a Cover assignment. As it was we ended going to the scene on the 4th. alarm.

Units cleared around 0500 hrs. Friday. Cause of the blaze is under investigation. Three (3)  Families and two (2) businesses have been displaced.

Also, at this point Tri-Towns EMS needed another EMT on the scene so Carey put her camera away to man another ambulance......

So her parting shot.......

The look on this New Creek firefighter's face sums up the night....

Photos Courtesy: EMT Carey M. Williams, Tri-Towns EMS

GREAT Shots!!! Helluva fire for the New Chief!

Outstanding photos and information, Tim, thanks!

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Great shots!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
20+ mi is a heck of a run!

Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Great shots.
Sorry, just now checking in Tim.

The tower was originally down a little further next to the buidling. The initial placement was in the middle of the street on the bravo side near the bravo/charlie corner. The thought was that we could use the bucket on either side, begin on the corner, but the guide wires from the pole kept us to the bravo side.

The tower crew was sent to the roof of the rear building to vent, however due to the conditions + the age and deteriorating building, the crews felt that it wasn't safe to do so. My guys said that the roof was extremely spongy. After the crews retreated, and conditions deteriorated, the ladder pipes were opened up for a bit.

A short bit later, the tower had to be broken down and moved due to signs of potential collapse on the bravo side. The pic that Carey got was just after backing up and the crew began to set up the ladder again.

The E/T's crew originally attempted ventilation in the middle building, but due to a ladder pipe opening up, we got off the roof. Must have been some miscommunication. Shrug

We later went into the apartment building to the rear of the library to ensure no other people were in the building and to check for extension early on. Had to be one of the most cut up and junked up buildings I've ever been into.

BTW, tell Carey she did great with these pics!

Not the best pis, but I took these as we came down off the hill in the Engine/Tanker.

Attached Files Image(s)

My wife who was on our ambulance at the top of the hill took this at one at one point during the action.

Attached Files Image(s)