Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDIC 2013 - From the show floor
I gave up trying to get shots on the floor..too crowded..other than early or special access did you take these on a certain time or day when the floor is empty??

Steve

Taylor-

Needham rig is from Indiana, it replaces an Engine and a Tanker, and is now their first-out tanker for all calls.

Regarding the Fishers Engine, they won't say much about it, other than that they're happy they were able to piggy-back IFD's order (they got 2, Brownsburg took a third and painted the White into Black to make it a reserve, Decatur Twp. ordered one, and Fishers is the 5th) I'm not sure why they didn't at least make the paint scheme match the rest of their trucks, but as I said, they won't comment on it, and all of them are painted EXACTLY alike, each departments stripes are all that changed.

Steve-

I just waited it out, I ask people to move and shut all of the compartment doors if it comes to that. I do find it easier to run around like a mad man that last hour/30 mins as things are being taken apart and no one is there!

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:I gave up trying to get shots on the floor..too crowded..other than early or special access did you take these on a certain time or day when the floor is empty??

Steve

Although one of the vendors that helps behind the scenes with my VAFireNews.com website did float me an exhibitor's pass, virtually every one of the photos you see here were taken during regular show hours.  They were all taken on Thursday and Friday - although Saturday would have been a far better day for photos, as it was far less crowded.  Alas, I didn't know it ahead of time, and I wasn't up to the half-mile walk to go get my camera from the car.

Like Travis, I would patiently wait for people to pass in the aisleways, ask stagglers to move (some of which wouldn't), and shut the cab doors when necessary.  Sometimes I'd wait 5-6 minutes standing in one spot to get the photo I wanted.

More photos to come shortly...

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote:What did you think of this pumper? I understand Spencer is a small company.

Funny you ask - a friends department is looking at purchasing a couple of these, so he asked me to look over them well.  Overall, I would give construction a 8/10.  Many of the areas were over-engineered (nothing wrong with that), and the fit-and-finish was just as good as anyone elses.  The only flaw I found was the gasket provided between the rear wheelwell diamond plate and the body sheet wasn't installed exactly right, but that would be a minor fix.
Taylor Goodman
As they have in the past, Sutphen brought a number of aerials for display.  Their booth has always proven difficult to get good photos in, unfortunately.

I'll let Scooby give us the details on this model headed to his neck of the woods: Dalton, GA.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-3-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
Another aerial on display was this rear-mount tower ladder for the Shreveport, LA FD, constructed by Ferrara.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-9-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
It wouldn't be a FFA display without an FDNY rig in it!

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-2-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
While (in my opinion) this is a great looking Ferrara even sitting still, it was a little short of amazing the number of red and blue lights plastered all over this rig.  When it was lit up, it was enough for me to stop and take a video.  The Whelen Ions were incredibly bright.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
This AEV ambulance features a massive 200" body.  The customer requested this for additional space for firefighting equipment and PPE.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-11-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
I really liked the look of this CAFS pumper for the Green Oak Fire Department that Rosenbauer had on display.  It's CAFS equipped, one of the front monitors was dedicated to CAFS, while the other was straight water.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-5-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
Yesterday I posted the "tactical tanker" from Timberline, CO.  Here is a sister to it - although this is an engine company.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-6-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
Found in the E\-One booth was this AWD eMax pumper.  While it wouldn't fit my department's needs at all, I think it has a neat stance.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-4-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
The Misses is calling me for dinner, so for the time being, I'll leave you with this Spartan ERV pump that will patrol the streets of Toronto.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-10-M.jpg]

Taylor Goodman
Quote:While (in my opinion) this is a great looking Ferrara even sitting still, it was a little short of amazing the number of red and blue lights plastered all over this rig.  When it was lit up, it was enough for me to stop and take a video.  The Whelen Ions were incredibly bright.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-M.jpg]

Funny that you should say that, this is also the only truck that I stopped for a video of. Perhaps it's because it was one of only a few that had the lights on, and there are others like it, we just don't know. I personally do not like Red and Blue on a fire truck, in Indiana, it's police cars.  Different tastes for different regions of the Country, that's just me!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:As they have in the past, Sutphen brought a number of aerials for display.  Their booth has always proven difficult to get good photos in, unfortunately.

I'll let Scooby give us the details on this model headed to his neck of the woods: Dalton, GA.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-3-M.jpg]
This truck (HS-5190) will be delivered to Dalton (GA) Fire Department in NW GA. It is the first SPH delivered with manual out-rigger controls.

It is replacing a 1986 TS-100.

Specs:

1500 QMAX/300/ 100'

Cummins ISX 11.9 (500hp)
Quote:This truck (HS-5190) will be delivered to Dalton (GA) Fire Department in NW GA. It is the first SPH delivered with manual out-rigger controls.

It is replacing a 1986 TS-100.

Specs:

1500 QMAX/300/ 100'

Cummins ISX 11.9 (500hp)
I just realized...that's my ugly bald self standing at the bucket (in the suit).
I've been waiting to see a Pittsburgh Spencer pumper in person. Only have seen them online. They appear to be nice little rigs. Hopefully they work well because the City just signed a contract for 3 more brining the total to 11 in a 3 year period.
Quote:The Misses is calling me for dinner, so for the time being, I'll leave you with this Spartan ERV pump that will patrol the streets of Montreal.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-10-M.jpg]
Umm.....I don't think this is going to Montreal.......Toronto Maybe???
Firefighter - Odenton Volunteer Fire Department

Fire Apparatus Photographer - MD/VA/PA/DE

See my photos at: http://timwolfe.smugmug.com/

Check out MarylandFireTrucks: http://marylandfiretrucks.smugmug.com
Quote:Umm.....I don't think this is going to Montreal.......Toronto Maybe???
No maybe here ... it's destined for Toronto.
Bob

Retired and still a tax payer.
Quote:Umm.....I don't think this is going to Montreal.......Toronto Maybe???
Yes, typo on my part.

You know, sometimes 5" just isn't enough.

[Image: VirginiaFirePix-8-M.jpg]
Taylor Goodman