Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Houston Fire Department Apparatus
Originally purchased to evaluate the Pierce aluminum aerial given the good service the E\-One aerials gave the city. There were only 2 ordered and delivered...assigned to Ladder Co. 28 (SW) and Ladder Co. 68 (SW).
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Station 28

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Paramedic Squad 68, one of the busiest in Houston, awaits another run...

Seth Granville
I know this has been asked before but - On the Medic Squads does the srw not make it loose in the rear? Seems like a lot of overhang past the rear tire/axle.
Sorry for delay responding...the single-rear wheel concept does make it not only look awkward but also prone to feeling a little top heavy even though they really aren't. Our Fire Fighter/Paramedics think it is a bit awkward but like it overall once you get accustom to it. There are advantages to the concept as it puts all the equipment (ALS, backboards, scoops, refrigerator, etc.) in the seperate module and not in the same space as the crew.

These were also in the same purchase as the original 11 Ferrara pumpers and where grant funded as well being built by Frazier located in SW Houston (51's still alarm). Since these were purchased and placed in service future Squad units have been assigned new Chevrolet Suburban.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
It's not only Houston, I'm assuming Frazer builds them that way....Austin-Travis County EMS has basically the same thing...

Seth Granville
I would love to see pics of the heavy rescues!
[quote name='res133cue' date='30 October 2010 - 07:24 PM' timestamp='1288483476' post='409460']

[/quote]

Houston Rescue 10

This truck originally ran as Rescue 11 but was reassigned as Rescue 10 and moved to Station 10 after Heavy Rescue 11 was placed in service.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[quote name='res133cue' date='30 October 2010 - 07:24 PM' timestamp='1288483476' post='409460']

[/quote]

Houston Fire Department Heavy Rescue 11

2006 Pierce

[/quote]

Houston Fire Department ran two 1991 Spartan/Super Vac heavy rescue trucks from 1991 until 2003 when they were replaced by the 2003 Pierces. One of these 91's still runs as a reserve.

[quote name='jpwilys' date='06 November 2010 - 12:18 AM' timestamp='1289019530' post='410287']

Houston Fire Department ran two 1991 Spartan/Super Vac heavy rescue trucks from 1991 until 2003 when they were replaced by the 2003 Pierces. One of these 91's still runs as a reserve.

[/quote]

What was the deal with two electronic sirens and four speakers and no Q siren?
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
I don't believe the speaker strobes on the '91 Spartan/SVI were original but rather added later. Around this time was also the era of air conditioning and followed shortly by Telma retarders. With the air conditioning and Telma's came electrical draw concern and the elimination of Q2 sirens to try and minimize electrical system spikes. The 5-'91 Spartan/Quality pumpers also didnt have Q2's nor the speaker strobes originally. The next pumpers bought were 5-demo rigs from Seagrave, bought with grant funds, with none being alike (e.g. E07 had a remote control deck gun and hydraulic ladder rack, E35 had a Cummins engine, etc.) Next pumpers were 7-Pierce Dash pumpers (1st side-door Dash cabs made) with Telma's, the 1st speced hydraulic ladder racks and also without Q2's. Then came 5-Seagrave J models rigs with Telma's but also without Q2's and ground ladders back on the side. Following that came 19-'97 Spartan/Quality pumpers with Telma's but without Q2's. This then entered the era of E\-One and the return of the Q2 and elimination of Telma's in favor of Jake Brakes. Between '99-'01 50+ Cyclone II pumpers and 30+ Hurricane CR100 aerials were received with follow-on orders of 1-foam pumper, 1-rehab unit, 1-command unit and the only E\-One Typhoon in HFD (E27 originally). During this time HFD also leased 5-E\-One CII 75' quints for use after 5-Spartan/LTI 108' aerials failed annual aerial testing. Next came the last E\-One rigs in 2004 with 5-Cyclone II pumpers, 5-Cyclone II CR100 aerials (replacing the leased 75' rigs that were returned) and 1-Cyclone II 75' quint for far flung L101 in Kingwood. After a 5-year loyalty to E\-One HFD shifted to a new manufacturer in 2005 in the form of 11-Ferrara Igniter pumpers, purchased by grant funds, with drum brakes, Q2's and no-front trash lines although an add on-order of 1-pumper for E23 had a front trash-line and disc brakes. Aerials also began being recieved from Ferrara at this time with 5-Ferrara/Smeal 107' rigs being received with an add-on order of 2. Next came more Ferrara pumpers with Q2's, disc brakes and front trash lines and 1-Ferrara/Smeal 107' quint for far flung L96. More orders for additional pumpers and aerials continued thru current times with the only exception being 2-2010 Pierce Arrow XT 100' aluminum aerials bought for evaluation and in service for approximately 3-months currently. As of now there are 2-Ferrara/Smeal 107' aerials for L55 and L67 on order along with a new Spartan/SVI command unit for CV08 and Spartan/SVI rescue for R42 currently on order.

Thats about all I have from memory...LOL.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Small correction to Larry's post - the (5) 1991 pumpers were Spartan/KME.

Fire Station shorepower and apparatus charging systems answered concerns on power draw. Our radio shop who wrote specifications towards the sirens specified (2) electric sirens 50 watt each hooked up to 100 watt speakers, I can belch louder.

Once the administrations concerns towards electrical draw were answered - Q2 sirens returned to apparatus in 1996 with E\-One ladders and in 1999 on E\-One pumpers after not having been purchased since 1988-89 with our purchase of Seagrave pumpers and ladders.
Thanks for that correction. I was thinking KME but typed Quality instead.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' date='06 November 2010 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1289055151' post='410300']

I don't believe the speaker strobes on the '91 Spartan/SVI were original but rather added later. Around this time was also the era of air conditioning and followed shortly by Telma retarders. With the air conditioning and Telma's came electrical draw concern and the elimination of Q2 sirens to try and minimize electrical system spikes. The 5-'91 Spartan/Quality pumpers also didnt have Q2's nor the speaker strobes originally. The next pumpers bought were 5-demo rigs from Seagrave, bought with grant funds, with none being alike (e.g. E07 had a remote control deck gun and hydraulic ladder rack, E35 had a Cummins engine, etc.) Next pumpers were 7-Pierce Dash pumpers (1st side-door Dash cabs made) with Telma's, the 1st speced hydraulic ladder racks and also without Q2's. Then came 5-Seagrave J models rigs with Telma's but also without Q2's and ground ladders back on the side. Following that came 19-'97 Spartan/Quality pumpers with Telma's but without Q2's. This then entered the era of E\-One and the return of the Q2 and elimination of Telma's in favor of Jake Brakes. Between '99-'01 50+ Cyclone II pumpers and 30+ Hurricane CR100 aerials were received with follow-on orders of 1-foam pumper, 1-rehab unit, 1-command unit and the only E\-One Typhoon in HFD (E27 originally). During this time HFD also leased 5-E\-One CII 75' quints for use after 5-Spartan/LTI 108' aerials failed annual aerial testing. Next came the last E\-One rigs in 2004 with 5-Cyclone II pumpers, 5-Cyclone II CR100 aerials (replacing the leased 75' rigs that were returned) and 1-Cyclone II 75' quint for far flung L101 in Kingwood. After a 5-year loyalty to E\-One HFD shifted to a new manufacturer in 2005 in the form of 11-Ferrara Igniter pumpers, purchased by grant funds, with drum brakes, Q2's and no-front trash lines although an add on-order of 1-pumper for E23 had a front trash-line and disc brakes. Aerials also began being recieved from Ferrara at this time with 5-Ferrara/Smeal 107' rigs being received with an add-on order of 2. Next came more Ferrara pumpers with Q2's, disc brakes and front trash lines and 1-Ferrara/Smeal 107' quint for far flung L96. More orders for additional pumpers and aerials continued thru current times with the only exception being 2-2010 Pierce Arrow XT 100' aluminum aerials bought for evaluation and in service for approximately 3-months currently. As of now there are 2-Ferrara/Smeal 107' aerials for L55 and L67 on order along with a new Spartan/SVI command unit for CV08 and Spartan/SVI rescue for R42 currently on order.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info that is interesting. Glad to see Q2b's back on the rigs.

Stay Safe,

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
[quote name='Ladder 68' date='06 November 2010 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1289055151' post='410300']

[/quote]

HFD also received Pierce towers at Stations 6 and 18 during 2006.

Dang it....cant believe I forgot those too. The '06 Pierce Dash 100' ladder towers are assigned to T06(Downtown) and T18(E). These replaced 2-'00 E\-One Hurricane 105' ladder towers with old T06 going to T21(S) and old T18 going to T64(N). An additional 3rd '00 E\-One Hurricane 105' ladder tower is still at its original assignment at T69(SW). Currently there is no reserve ladder tower in the fleet with tower co.'s changing into a regular reserve ladder rig when their front-line is down.

Good pictures also. Thanks for sharing them.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
Here are some of my old/newer pics of HFD rigs. First up is Rescue 1, a 1979 Ford/Koenig with crew cab.

1979 Seagrave, 1500 GPM/500 gal., Engine 1.

Ladder 1( Unit 301), 1972 ALF Pioneer, 100 ft.

Back then , the Ladders were assigned the numbers in the 300's, ie- 301,302, 316, etc, Engines were assigned numbers in the 200's, Batt,. Chiefs were assigned the 100's, MICU's were 1100's, specialty units were 500's. In the 80's, They later changed over to the traditioal way of number rigs according to station number.