Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kansas City area fire apparatus
Johnson County Fire Dist 3 Tender 191

Wakarusa Township E1130

runs outside Lawrence, KS

Eudora Township Tanker

Eudora Township Tanker

Engine 61 thanks for posting your Kansas City pics. That is one big city fire department that I haven't seen that many photo threads on.

I was wondering is Kansas City running with 4 or 5 Tower Ladders now? I know that Truck 15 had been running with a Tower Ladder for while however I understand that Trucks 2,3,11 and 12 were recently assigned Tower Ladders.

Is Kansas City still running with the two Quints on the far north and far south sides of the city?

In know that in a recent consultant study done for the KCFD it had been recommended that some new stations be built on the far north and south ends of town and that 2 new Truck companies be added to the fleet so that Kansas City would be running with 14 instead of 12 Truck companies. Is the city making plans to follow through on the consultant's recommendations?

The consultant had also recommended that 3 Heavy Rescue Squads to be run by the department.

I know that some time in the 1990's when the KCFD was requipped with a Fleet of new E/One apparatus that about 7 new Squads had been put in service but apparently at least one or two were taken out of service.

Do you have a history of those 7 Squads from the 1990's and where they had been located?

I believe that a few of them were supposed to have replaced some Engine companies and that some of them were designated medium duty Squads and that only about one or two of them were designated as Heavy Rescue Squads.

How were they run when KCFD was running with several types of Squad designations?

Thanks in advance
Merriam E61

Merriam T61

[quote name='firepost' post='294822' date='Apr 5 2009, 15:06 ']Engine 61 thanks for posting your Kansas City pics. That is one big city fire department that I haven't seen that many photo threads on.

I was wondering is Kansas City running with 4 or 5 Tower Ladders now? I know that Truck 15 had been running with a Tower Ladder for while however I understand that Trucks 2,3,11 and 12 were recently assigned Tower Ladders.

Is Kansas City still running with the two Quints on the far north and far south sides of the city?

In know that in a recent consultant study done for the KCFD it had been recommended that some new stations be built on the far north and south ends of town and that 2 new Truck companies be added to the fleet so that Kansas City would be running with 14 instead of 12 Truck companies. Is the city making plans to follow through on the consultant's recommendations?

The consultant had also recommended that 3 Heavy Rescue Squads to be run by the department.

I know that some time in the 1990's when the KCFD was requipped with a Fleet of new E/One apparatus that about 7 new Squads had been put in service but apparently at least one or two were taken out of service.

Do you have a history of those 7 Squads from the 1990's and where they had been located?

I believe that a few of them were supposed to have replaced some Engine companies and that some of them were designated medium duty Squads and that only about one or two of them were designated as Heavy Rescue Squads.

How were they run when KCFD was running with several types of Squad designations?

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

Where to start,

Yes KCFD has tweleve trucks and Truck 2,3,6,11,12,15 are all Towers 95ft. Truck 2,3,11,12 have the new soild red towers. Truck 13 is in a 1996 100ft Sutphen Tower. Truck 4 is a 100ft Quint and Trucks 5,7,8,10 are Dry 100ft Tillers. The current fire chief came from one of our suburbs and really likes Tower Quints so the department can met NFPA 1710. He hates Tillers an want to reduce KCFD to only three in the mid-twon area. Now some of the Towers don't have hose in the beds and I can almost bet the tanks are dry. The truck companys work group recommended returning to a Tillered fleet in 2006 but the chief had already got the Labor Management committe to back the Tower Quints. So they might look like quints but they run as trucks and the pull up at working fires and DO NOT streach lines. At a fire the Truck splits and Captain and FF are search and the FAO and FF or Tillerman are vertical vent. KCFD does very little PPV. I will imagine that the Tillers will return after the cheif retires.

The 75ft Quints are dead and sold. The current Chief does not believe in Quints and has stated that 75ft ladders have no place in a moderate to large city, so Quint 41 and 44 returned to Pumpers 41 and 44 and Truck 15 was reopened. Truck 14, 15 were disbanded in 1979 when the 100ft Seagrave Quints came to KCFD.

Truck both Tillered 1, 9 were disbanded in 1997 when the Rescue concept was adopted. It is very sad because Truck 1 was the oldest inservice company in the city they even outlasted pumper 2 that became pumper 3.

Truck 4 was disbanded at Fire House Seven in 1979-1980 and was reopened in 1999 at the new Fire House Three way north.

There was talk of reopening Truck 1 downtown due to the redevelopment, however with the current money issues I beleive it has be tabled. Also a Truck will be added at FH44 when it is rebuilt and then Truck 4 will move to FH14. I believe the new truck at FH44 will be Truck 14 because it was the northland Truck before begin disbanded at FH38 in 1979. As Truck 15 was the southland Truck before being disbanded in 1979 at FH28.

New Fire Houses, Fire House 14 for Pumper 14 and Car 103 and a future Truck in the northland near Liberty is an addtion but all others have been rebuilds
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
[quote name='firepost' post='294822' date='Apr 5 2009, 15:06 ']Engine 61 thanks for posting your Kansas City pics. That is one big city fire department that I haven't seen that many photo threads on.

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

Not a problem on posting the KC pics. Yeah Trucks 2,3,6,11,12,13 & 15 are all in towers. 2 new Velocity rear mount platfroms due in probably over the summer will be assigned to Truck 13 & 15. Truck 8 which is a Tiller old Truck 11 was suppose to be receiving 1 of the new Pierce towers but due to the problems Truck 15 is experiencing they have decided to reserve the current Truck 15 and give them a new Pierce Tower. Kansas City has just passed a budget that is going to close 2 or 3 houses. They havent come out and said which ones.

They wont be adding any new companies for awhile unless they close a Engine house and put them in a Truck in a already existing firehouse which is always a possibilty. KCFD has been playing with some of the surrounding depts. South Platte which is located in the northland on the western side where no Truck exists for KCFD (Quint 44 disbanded now Pumper 44 use to be the NW Ladder) will send their Ladder 23 which is a 70" Sutphen mini tower. Also hearing Raytown Ladder 2 playing on the south eastern part of KC. So I think for the time being they will keep the number of Trucks they have and just rely on mutual aid if they get low on ladders.

KCFD runs Rescues 1, 9 & 31 which are large tandem axle E\-One Rescues. All the Rescues are pretty close to one another. They still will run medicals even if a Pumper is in the house. They run 6 guys I believe 7 assigned a Capt, 2 drivers & 4 firefighters. Also they have Rescue 75 which is now at the new Firehouse 35 where Rescue 9 is located off of Cleaver Blvd. Its a semi, Freightliner with a Hackney body. KCFD sends 5 companies on structure except hi sise alarms. Hi rise alarms get the Deputy (Car 101), 3 Battalions, 4 Pumpers, 4 Trucks, 2 Rescues, Air 1 & Command 1 on the initial alarm. On a regular structure usually they get a Battalion, 2 Pumpers, 1 Rescue, & 2 Trucks (depending where you are in the city). A Rescue gets the assignment if they can beat a 3rd due Pumper or beat a 2nd due Truck. Also all Trucks & Rescues are RIT capable so if command calls a working fire you get a RIT capable company,

Air 1, MAST ambulance & a Fire Investigator.

KCFD had Squads which was a 2 person company basically a midi and those were in the 80s, 90s and I think also the 70s. In 1997 was when they received a new fleet of E\-One Pumpers and Rescues. The Rescues were 1,7,9,11,12,16 & 31. Rescue 1 was actually designated Heavy Rescue 1. I dont remember why it was designated Heavy I know they were suppose to have 5 guys assigned instead of 4 but I want to say and Im not sure if this is correct but they were going to be the only or 1 of the only to carry air bags could be wrong. Heavy Rescue 1, Rescue 9 & Rescue 16 were all large Rescues I believe they carried ground ladders. Rescues 7,11,12 & 31 were smaller I cant remember if they had ground ladders or not.

Heavy Rescue 1 took the place of Truck 1 the only real downtown Truck still disbanded to this day

Rescue 7 & 16 were Squad 28 & Squad 16 (midis replaced by Rescues)

Rescue 11, 12, & 31 were all a part of a double engine house so they closed one of the Pumpers and gave them a Rescue, so it use to be Pumper 11, 12 & 31.

Rescue 9 had a Rescue (supposively a Rescue Topeka, KS had declined) KCFD was hurting for apparatus so they bought this rig and its still being used today as Reserve Rescue 3 (carries ground ladders so a Truck will go into it as well as if a Rescue goes down). Before Rescue 9 received their first Rescue in 1995 I believe they were running a Seagrave TDA which I believe was crashed and that got them into the Rescue business.

Now as of today Rescue 1 is still Rescue 1 in the downtown area, Rescue 7 is now Pumper 28 same house southwest part of the city, Rescue 9 is still Rescue 9, Rescue 11 is disbanded not sure where their manpower went, Rescue 12 crew was sent to Haz-Mat, Rescue 16 is Truck 4 the far north Truck, Rescue 31 is still Rescue 31. Also I dont think there was any special assignments for the 7 Rescues, I think they pretty much backed in a Rescue instead of what they had and gave them a tool and no water and sent them on their way, could be wrong though.

If you have anymore questions or if I didnt cover something be sure to let me know. theres some others on here who know KC pretty well hopefully theyll add to it or if I made a mistake they correct it. Hopefully this helps some. Just to let you know Im not going to proofread it, too long.
[quote name='MFD 61 KS' post='294827' date='Apr 5 2009, 15:24 ']Where to start,

Yes KCFD has tweleve trucks and Truck 2,3,6,11,12,15 are all Towers 95ft. Truck 2,3,11,12 have the new soild red towers. Truck 13 is in a 1996 100ft Sutphen Tower. Truck 4 is a 100ft Quint and Trucks 5,7,8,10 are Dry 100ft Tillers. The current fire chief came from one of our suburbs and really likes Tower Quints so the department can met NFPA 1710. He hates Tillers an want to reduce KCFD to only three in the mid-twon area. Now some of the Towers don't have hose in the beds and I can almost bet the tanks are dry. The truck companys work group recommended returning to a Tillered fleet in 2006 but the chief had already got the Labor Management committe to back the Tower Quints. So they might look like quints but they run as trucks and the pull up at working fires and DO NOT streach lines. At a fire the Truck splits and Captain and FF are search and the FAO and FF or Tillerman are vertical vent. KCFD does very little PPV. I will imagine that the Tillers will return after the cheif retires.

The 75ft Quints are dead and sold. The current Chief does not believe in Quints and has stated that 75ft ladders have no place in a moderate to large city, so Quint 41 and 44 returned to Pumpers 41 and 44 and Truck 15 was reopened. Truck 14, 15 were disbanded in 1979 when the 100ft Seagrave Quints came to KCFD.

Truck both Tillered 1, 9 were disbanded in 1997 when the Rescue concept was adopted. It is very sad because Truck 1 was the oldest inservice company in the city they even outlasted pumper 2 that became pumper 3.

Truck 4 was disbanded at Fire House Seven in 1979-1980 and was reopened in 1999 at the new Fire House Three way north.

There was talk of reopening Truck 1 downtown due to the redevelopment, however with the current money issues I beleive it has be tabled. Also a Truck will be added at FH44 when it is rebuilt and then Truck 4 will move to FH14. I believe the new truck at FH44 will be Truck 14 because it was the northland Truck before begin disbanded at FH38 in 1979. As Truck 15 was the southland Truck before being disbanded in 1979 at FH28.

New Fire Houses, Fire House 14 for Pumper 14 and Car 103 and a future Truck in the northland near Liberty is an addtion but all others have been rebuilds[/quote]

Squads and Rescues,

KCFD developed this plan called the Fire Improvment Plan in the mid 1970's it screwed a number of things up in the fire department and taken years to undo. First was to change the fire units to white over lime-green.

Second was to reduce the fire houses from forty-five to thrity-three. Then build large double Pumper houses with a Truck so the fire units could carvan to fires. Only 7, 10, 17, 18 ever became double pumper with a truck houses and now all have returned to single pumpers with a truck. 17's has Rescue 31 with them also.

Third all firemen were moved from 24hr shift to an 8hr day rotation and a complete fourth shift was hired. All beds were removed from the fire houses and new fire houses were built with no bunkrooms No sleeping allowed. This lasted three years and then the 24hr shift returned and postions were elemanted through retirement. In recent years bunkrooms were added to Fire House 7,4 before guys just slept any where. During the eight hour day the fire units had to drive the city at all hours this made a tired fleet even more tired and also made the new Seagrave's wear out faster than normal.

Fourth was to disband Truck 4, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15 and Pumper 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 38 and Quad 42. Remember the Crash rigs at KCI were Pumper 3,5,15 during this time. They purchased these really big 100ft Seagrave Quints and GMC C-65 E\-One Midi Pumpers. So after all the closing Truck 14 and Pumper 38 became Quint and Squad 38, Truck 15 and Pumper 28 became Quint and Squad 28, Truck 8,12,13 became Quints 8, 12, 13 and remained with their pumpers at 37, 6, 39's, Quad 42 became Quint and Squad 42 later in 1990 they moved to 41's, Pumper 27 was reduced to a two man Squad 27. New companys included Squad 10, Squad 16, Pumper 16. They ended up with six Squads and six Quints the rest of the Truck fleet was Tillered. The midi Squads were really worthless and just mainly ran EMS the GMC's were replaced in 1993 by red Freightliner/ E-Ones. This concept of Qunit Squads lasted until 1996 when it was determined the program should be ended. They kept three Quints 28,38,41 and made them stand alone with 75ft ladders and ran the wheels off. This proved to be too much weight on a single axle and they were always in the shop. That was the saving grace of the Squads they kept the milage off the Quints.

The fire improvment plan was dead in 1985 but as you can see it took years to get away from.

So Rescues in 1995 Truck 3 was a 1990 Sutphen Tower they were running one of the spare 100ft Seagrave Quints. They were at a working fire and the ladder failed while fly piping with a man on the tip. Now remember these were med duty ladders and the FAO had the ladder at a 45 degree angle flowing water with a man on the tip. This was way outside the operating instructions for this type of ladder. Up until 1995 the fleet of Trucks was never tested due to the fact most ladders were built prior to NFPA 1901 non destructive testing standard. So due to this accident all the ladders were tested and over half failed the test. The chief was in a big pinch and decided to Convert Truck 1, 9 to Rescue 1, 9 and all double Pumpers 12, 11, 31 to Rescue 12, 11, 31 and combine all Squads 10, 27, 41, 28, 16, 38 to create Rescue 7, 16. These were big box trucks that looked like rescues but were really manpower carriers. Rescue 1, 9, 7, 16 were city service Truck Companies with full ground ladders and Rescue 11, 12, 31 were box trucks. Rescue 7 was numbered this way because there were seven rescues total in the department. Yes the consultant recommed that they move to three real rescues so Rescue 1, 9, 31 remained and all others were disbanded and were used to reopen Truck 15. Staffing on the Rescues now is six 1 capt., 2 FAO, 3 FFs. The chief wanted to call them 1,2,3 but labor managment said no way because it would open all the postions for rebiding and if you know KCFD some fire houses are a closed bid to only firemen that are hand picked to work there.

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
[quote name='MFD 61 KS' post='294842' date='Apr 5 2009, 16:00 ']Squads and Rescues,

KCFD developed this plan called the Fire Improvment Plan in the mid 1970's it screwed a number of things up in the fire department and taken years to undo. First was to change the fire units to white over lime-green.

Second was to reduce the fire houses from forty-five to thrity-three. Then build large double Pumper houses with a Truck so the fire units could carvan to fires. Only 7, 10, 17, 18 ever became double pumper with a truck houses and now all have returned to single pumpers with a truck. 17's has Rescue 31 with them also.

Third all firemen were moved from 24hr shift to an 8hr day rotation and a complete fourth shift was hired. All beds were removed from the fire houses and new fire houses were built with no bunkrooms No sleeping allowed. This lasted three years and then the 24hr shift returned and postions were elemanted through retirement. In recent years bunkrooms were added to Fire House 7,4 before guys just slept any where. During the eight hour day the fire units had to drive the city at all hours this made a tired fleet even more tired and also made the new Seagrave's wear out faster than normal.

Fourth was to disband Truck 4, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15 and Pumper 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 38 and Quad 42. Remember the Crash rigs at KCI were Pumper 3,5,15 during this time. They purchased these really big 100ft Seagrave Quints and GMC C-65 E\-One Midi Pumpers. So after all the closing Truck 14 and Pumper 38 became Quint and Squad 38, Truck 15 and Pumper 28 became Quint and Squad 28, Truck 8,12,13 became Quints 8, 12, 13 and remained with their pumpers at 37, 6, 39's, Quad 42 became Quint and Squad 42 later in 1990 they moved to 41's, Pumper 27 was reduced to a two man Squad 27. New companys included Squad 10, Squad 16, Pumper 16. They ended up with six Squads and six Quints the rest of the Truck fleet was Tillered. The midi Squads were really worthless and just mainly ran EMS the GMC's were replaced in 1993 by red Freightliner/ E-Ones. This concept of Qunit Squads lasted until 1996 when it was determined the program should be ended. They kept three Quints 28,38,41 and made them stand alone with 75ft ladders and ran the wheels off. This proved to be too much weight on a single axle and they were always in the shop. That was the saving grace of the Squads they kept the milage off the Quints.

The fire improvment plan was dead in 1985 but as you can see it took years to get away from.

So Rescues in 1995 Truck 3 was a 1990 Sutphen Tower they were running one of the spare 100ft Seagrave Quints. They were at a working fire and the ladder failed while fly piping with a man on the tip. Now remember these were med duty ladders and the FAO had the ladder at a 45 degree angle flowing water with a man on the tip. This was way outside the operating instructions for this type of ladder. Up until 1995 the fleet of Trucks was never tested due to the fact most ladders were built prior to NFPA 1901 non destructive testing standard. So due to this accident all the ladders were tested and over half failed the test. The chief was in a big pinch and decided to Convert Truck 1, 9 to Rescue 1, 9 and all double Pumpers 12, 11, 31 to Rescue 12, 11, 31 and combine all Squads 10, 27, 41, 28, 16, 38 to create Rescue 7, 16. These were big box trucks that looked like rescues but were really manpower carriers. Rescue 1, 9, 7, 16 were city service Truck Companies with full ground ladders and Rescue 11, 12, 31 were box trucks. Rescue 7 was numbered this way because there were seven rescues total in the department. Yes the consultant recommed that they move to three real rescues so Rescue 1, 9, 31 remained and all others were disbanded and were used to reopen Truck 15. Staffing on the Rescues now is six 1 capt., 2 FAO, 3 FFs. The chief wanted to call them 1,2,3 but labor managment said no way because it would open all the postions for rebiding and if you know KCFD some fire houses are a closed bid to only firemen that are hand picked to work there.[/quote]

The chief wanted to call them 1,2,3 but labor managment said no way because it would open all the postions for rebiding and if you know KCFD some fire houses are a closed bid to only firemen that are hand picked to work there. Rescue 9 controls Rescue 75 the Freightliner Hackney Tractor Trailer. The number Rescue 75 comes from that there are 75 firemen assigned to the Rescue Division. The Rescues now are the cream of the crop in the Mid-West really top notch. Hope this answers you questions my fellow fireman Engine 61 was going to add some more info also.

Stay Safe, Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
[quote name='ENG61INE' post='294802' date='Apr 5 2009, 14:45 ']NKCFD E905

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=46245][/quote]

North Kansas City Fire Departmetn is returning to RED a new Pierce for Engine 907 has just been delievered in red.

North Kansas City operates from two fire houses and has the most industry per square mile in the mid-west. They run a 13-14 person shift from Fire House One and 4 person at Two's. There number system is 1-10 they are lettered tradtionally IE Engine 5 but on the radio they use the 900's. So Chiefs are Car 900-902 then Ladder 903, Ladder 904 (Used to be an Engine before the current Quint), Engine 905, Rescue Ambulance 906, Engine 907, Reserve Engine 908, Rescue Ambulance 909, Fire Marshal 910, Batt 911, Haz-Mat 912.

Fire House One is Engine 905, Ladder 904, RA 906, RA 909, Haz-Mat 912, Batt Chief 911, and Ladder 903.

Fire House Two is Engine 907, Reserve Engine 908.

Ladder 903 had been moved to Two's on a temp basis and Reserve Engine 908 has been moved to one's.

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
[quote name='Steve Loftin' post='295000' date='Apr 6 2009, 09:44 ']ENG61INE,

What manufacturer built this truck, and what are pump and tank sizes?[/quote]

Steve it is one of two purchased in 1990 or 1991. I think they were purchased a year apart. This enigne has a metal box to protect the pump the other engine has a canvse cover with guard rail. One was purchased for Engine 191 and the other for engine 192 or at that time under the old county number system 1921 and 1922. They are both at station two now as station one now has a big four door midship International Toyne.

Both are Toyne with darley front mount pumps I believe 1000gpm and 1000 gallon tanks with rear dumps. Lexington Twp or now called Fire District Three was very into front mount pumpers and loves Toyne. They are the only department in the metro next to Independance, MO that has ever had Toyne to my knowledge.

Stay Safe, Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
1988 E\-One Hurricane 1500/750 Ex Lenexa, Kansas Ex: 922 then Reserve Engine 92.

The 923 was the shop tracking number. Recently sold to a department in Missouri. Lenexa purchased one hurricane in 1987, 88, 89 a Truck in 1990 and another Hurricane engine in 1991. Almost all were alike with minor canges each year.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
KCFD old Rescue 1

not the best pic

KCFD Reserve Rescue 3

Not a very good pic but heres the first Rescue for KCFD. This was originally Rescue 9.

Thanks in advance
[/quote]
[quote name='ENG61INE' post='294818' date='Apr 5 2009, 15:01 ']Johnson County Fire Dist 3 Tender 191

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=46259][/quote]

1992-1993 Fouts Brothers 2500 gallon. The body is all Poly and this rig apeared in various advertisments in the fire trade journals. It has a semi transmission so only a few members can drive it for the Fire District.

Rick

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
1999 E\-One Hurrciane Rescue Engine. This is now Reserve Engine 92 Ex Engine 94 Ex Engine 91.

It was purchased in 1999 for Engine 4 (94) because it was third due to all fires in Lenexa and could carry RIT gear, extra SCBA bottles, Rescue Equipment. Needless to say this Engine is very long and was not very popular with the Lenexa Drivers. It was however a great idea or concept. Since it was so large it ran at E-94 from 1999-2001 and then spent a two years in reserve 2001-2003 at FH 1 and Engine 94 was given a 1995 E\-One 55ft Tele-Squirt. Then it was placed back inservice when a second company was added at 1's in 2003.

Rick

Attached Files Image(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
1957 American Lafrance 800 series with right officers side pump panel. This was to match the sister 1954 ALF 700 series at Mission.

Mission Fire Department INC. also tied with Mission Fire District One now part of NE Consolidated Fire District Two.

In 1969 this unit had a 54ft Squirt boom installed and this photo was taken in 1969 just before leaving for the conversion in St. Joesph, Missouri at Snorkel. This Squirt ran until 1989 as reserve engine for Mission after the consolidation in late 1989 it was give to the Mission Volunteers who placed it up for sale in 1990 and was sold to a department in Arizona. On the trip to Arizona it threw a rod in the motor and was rejected and I believe sold for scrap.

Mosher Collection

Rick

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Engine Co. 4
NE Johnson County Consolidated Fire District Two 2006 Chevy Suburban

now called Batt 21 old county number system it was 205

Attached Files Image(s)