Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manhattan Gas Explosion 3/12/14
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Quote:Great photos.  Quick question.  #17, it appears to say "state--- tru___" on the member's coat.  What is that?  Also, is the Chief of Department wearing a leather helmet?

Prob UFA Staten Island Trustee.

Kilduff wears his leather still
Outstanding photo work. Were there any TDA Companies working on this job?

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
Nice set of images. I see 43 Truck doesn't want to be missed. LOL

Great pics!!
Chief of Dept Wearing his leather...That's awesome!  Still a fireman through and through!

Hey Mike...Tell Pop they're some great shots!!

Great stuff!

Greg Muhr

<a class='bbc_url' href='http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/'>http://memoriesbymuhrs.zenfolio.com/</a>
Quote:Chief of Dept Wearing his leather...That's awesome!  Still a fireman through and through!

It's not awesome when the men can't do the same. I think it's a big F U...but I could be wrong....
FF - JH Ketcham Hose Co, Dover Plains, NY 36 Truck

FAO - City of Poughkeepsie

FTM - PTB - KTF
Quote: 

It's not awesome when the men can't do the same. I think it's a big F U...but I could be wrong....
Right, because the FDNY is the only job out there where the Chief abides by the do as I say, not as I do mantra.  Lighten up
interesting how the chief can still wear his but his men can't.....I here he's a good dude but I feel a certain way about stuff like that!!!!

Quote:Outstanding photo work. Were there any TDA Companies working on this job?

John, I saw atleast 1 during the news coverage. It wasn't set up, and I couldn't see a number on it.
Most likely 40 truck
[color="#FF0000"]R.I.P Sammy Oitice FDNY 4 Truck 9-11-01[/color]

[color="#0000FF"]R.I.P Kevin Apuzzio East Franklin FD 4-11-06[/color]

NEVER FORGET 343

[size="4"]FDNY Hockey[/size]
How many of these do we go on. Gas calls are spooky. Even with the safety's built into alarm mode in our meters its a bit hairy when the the range is hi, knowing you will come down thru the explosive range while venting. All of that being said, thank god con ed didnt kick this to fire right away. Quite safe to say the companies would have been operating and arriving at the time of the explosion. Its the dime a dozen smells and bells calls that get real very fast sometimes. So glad this was not worse.
To say that the firefighters aren't allowed to wear their leather helmets isn't completely accurate. I think he city decided some time ago, not sure how long ago, that all firefighters would have their gear (helmets included) replaced after 10 years of use. The members were given the option to keep their leathers but had to pay the city something like $100 to continue using them. I'm sure there were members that absolutely wouldn't give them up, as well as some that absolutely refused to pay money to wear a helmet and reluctantly made the switch.

There is also a significant price difference between Ben2's and leathers and any city bean counters are going to opt to go with the cheaper helmets. Most of the Firemen from the era of all leather helmets have long since retired or may not be front line anymore so the guys coming in from that point forward (which is probably the majority of the front line firemen by now) were issued the Ben2's right from the start.

If anyone visits NYCFire.net you'll see plenty of leathers still in the fire ground pictures.

Quote:interesting how the chief can still wear his but his men can't.....I here he's a good dude but I feel a certain way about stuff like that!!!!

You're still alive!

Fireman
FF - JH Ketcham Hose Co, Dover Plains, NY 36 Truck

FAO - City of Poughkeepsie

FTM - PTB - KTF
Leathers are out, the money paid was to keep helmet which was then tagged with a condemned tag. Depending on how long you were in job was how much it cost to purchase. After 30 years it was free 20 to 29 $50 after that $100.
I stand corrected and thank you for the clarification. Leather helmets have arguably been the most desirable helmets for decades. It's pretty bad that the very city that gave these helmets their name, and the department that brought them to the forefront of the fire service, no longer allows their members to wear them. My department didn't stop allowing us to wear them, but stopped buying them due to their cost. Members can still wear them but have to purchase them on their own.

Quote:I stand corrected and thank you for the clarification. Leather helmets have arguably been the most desirable helmets for decades. It's pretty bad that the very city that gave these helmets their name, and the department that brought them to the forefront of the fire service, no longer allows their members to wear them. My department didn't stop allowing us to wear them, but stopped buying them due to their cost. Members can still wear them but have to purchase them on their own.
So most guys in FDNY wear composite helmets and the fires still go out?  This is amazing.  In all seriousness peoples irrational obsession with leather helmets is ridiculous to me.  People in the fire service today seemed more concerned with looking cool than alot of other things that matter.
Quote:So most guys in FDNY wear composite helmets and the fires still go out?  This is amazing.  In all seriousness peoples irrational obsession with leather helmets is ridiculous to me.  People in the fire service today seemed more concerned with looking cool than alot of other things that matter.
If my job said I couldn't wear mine anymore It really wouldn't screw up my operational efficiency....as long as they keep paying me every 2 weeks..