Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

next up midi 8 rig

Image(s)

and last one for now is midi 9 rig

Image(s)

So tell me.....What was the thought behind having Midi instead of Engine Companys?   To me its like something a rual dept would have,not a big city. I have always wondered that. I'd love to know the story behind this concept.

the story is back in the late 70's early 80's the fire department was facing decreasing budgets, so at the time fire chief Huther and executive deputy chief Graham had to figure out a way to keep stations open without laying off fire fighters so they looked into many options but none of the others were going to work, so they decided to consolidate all the engine and truck company that were paired together with a quint and midi pumper and it took a little over 9 years to fully transition from engine and truck companies to quint/midi companies the first was

e.19/t.11- q/m 1

e.20/t8 -q/m 2

e.8/t.7- q/m 3

e.6/t.4- q/m 4

e.18/t.5- q/m 5

e.2/t.6- q/m 6

e.9/t.9- q/m 7

e4/t.10- q/m 8

e1/t1- q/m 9

and they did it without laying off fire fighters or closing any stations
They didn't lay off. But they did reduce staffing. Houses with eight were cut to six.

So a year or two ago, in the face of another budget shortage, they got rid of the six man quint/midi companies and went back to four man trucks. I don't know all the details of how they went about this most recent reorganization, but what matters is that they cut overall staffing again. I don't recall hearing about layoffs. Pretty sure it was open/un filled positions that got cut. So, yes the evil quints went away. Admin put the spin on it that they were going back to true companies, engine and truck. Again, bottom line is that they made two series of cuts through the quint concept. One to start it and one to end it.
Rob Atwater

Lieutenant

Derry Fire

Engine 4/Truck 4

Derry, NH
Good photos!

tHANKs

tHANKs
Rochester FD Engine 13
2012 Rosenbauer

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I learned about a year or so ago that Rochester once had a 1979 Dodge/Hamerly mini pumper. Does anyone have any stats or further info on where it went?

i had a photo of mini 1 which was stationed out of monroe ave and alexander st (E1/T1) ill look and see if i still have it.

Ok thanks. Any idea when it left?

i believe it was only in service for about 2 years

I found this posted on Ebay. Not sure who the original photographer is, but I believe it is in E290L103's collection. The description says 1975.

From: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...rid=229466

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
For some reason I am really digging those Midi units, I am not a huge of midi rigs normally but there is something sort of neat about them running at a city department and apperently getting work (as a few are shown pumping).  Thank you for sharing those, it is a shame that the Midi concept has gone out the window!

i really liked the midis they were able to go where full size pumpers couldnt go like parking garages,and they were great for rubbish fires, auto fires ems, plus rochester has some really narrow streets and the midis were able to lay in and or pass a quint that was operating an aerial in front of the structure pull into a driveway or a corner without obstructing other apparatus or support vehicles from entering into the scene.