Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire
Yep, Joel hit it on the head.  Generally, once you get above about 31,500 pounds (IIRC) on the rear axle, the only option is to go with the a larger tire and wheel combination, and steel wheels aren't available to use.  I haven't seen any of the Alcoa's with a high rating either.

Most departments would simply go to a tandem axle setup from the beginning to keep their individual axle ratings down, but there could be a length issue that would prevent the use of a tandem axle design.

Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
All the previous quints were tandem. I think the city just wanted to make these units smaller in length for maneuverability in the city.
I think the diameter of the wheels goes from 22.5 to 24.5 when you up from the 31,500 axle to the 33,000.  That being said, having a larger diameter wheel in the rear then the front will make the truck sit a little higher in the back naturally, as well as it makes the back wheel look noticeably larger.   I would like to know the story on the spoke style wheels, I thought spoke/dayton style wheels were going away and they actually have a lesser rating then the bud? style wheels.   All the other wheels I've seen on the 33,000 axles are the typical bud style wheels however I did see grapevine texas recently got a similar Pierce quint with the spokes on the rear.  

PFD taking over ems
Quote:PFD taking over ems
Was that a question or a statement and were you referring to Pittsburgh with "PFD"?

Quote:I think the diameter of the wheels goes from 22.5 to 24.5 when you up from the 31,500 axle to the 33,000.  That being said, having a larger diameter wheel in the rear then the front will make the truck sit a little higher in the back naturally, as well as it makes the back wheel look noticeably larger.   I would like to know the story on the spoke style wheels, I thought spoke/dayton style wheels were going away and they actually have a lesser rating then the bud? style wheels.   All the other wheels I've seen on the 33,000 axles are the typical bud style wheels however I did see grapevine texas recently got a similar pierce quint with the spokes on the rear.  
The Dayton style wheel went by the way side in 2002-2003 on all trucks.  Very few were built with the Dayton wheel. 
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
Quote:The Dayton style wheel went by the way side in 2002-2003 on all trucks.  Very few were built with the Dayton wheel. 

Ed, I'm not sure I follow your post. Are you talking about fire apparatus in general, or PBF specifically? I ask because Shoop's photo is of a 2008 model, and I saw a Pierce under construction in that same time frame that also had them.
Taylor Goodman
Quote:Ed, I'm not sure I follow your post. Are you talking about fire apparatus in general, or PBF specifically? I ask because Shoop's photo is of a 2008 model, and I saw a Pierce under construction in that same time frame that also had them.
Yes, I'm not sure I understand either, the Grapevine texas rig has the same set up w/ rear axle and wheels and that is a 2009 Velocity w/ a 75' aluminum ladder.  
Somehow, I came across this as I was doing a search on Pittsburgh.  

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/omb/ELA_32-...endum1.pdf

Does anyone know if they awarded the contract for a new 100' aerial?  I'm curious as I think all of the aerials are relatively new Seagraves and Pierces.

Thanks.

Yes, just awarded the contract to Pierce for (1) Truck for 30. This was suppose to be ordered last year after their front line was deadlined, not sure what the hold up was.
I was told months ago that the city had ordered 5 Smeal 105' heavy duty rearmounts.  But I have not heard anything since. 

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

Thanks Shoop.  Ed, I don't think that's possible as the specs clearly stated that the aerial had to be sole source.  I thought Smeal just offered that Spartan chassis and HME chassis, which the one of the PDFs of specs specifically stated no HME chassis' would be considered.  I had heard a rumor that the new Pierces haven't been holding up very well, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Quote:Thanks Shoop.  Ed, I don't think that's possible as the specs clearly stated that the aerial had to be sole source.  I thought Smeal just offered that Spartan chassis and HME chassis, which the one of the PDFs of specs specifically stated no HME chassis' would be considered.  I had heard a rumor that the new Pierces haven't been holding up very well, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Smeal offers their own chassis (built by Ferrara for Smeal to Smeal specs).  Smeal S450 and S600.
Taylor Goodman
Interesting.  Thanks Roto-Ray.  I don't recall ever seeing that chassis before.  I'll have to keep my eyes open on their new deliveries section.

The cabs were announced at FDIC 2014, but seem to have not really made it off of the ground so far.

Trav!
Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
This is the Ferrara built Smeal chassis, S600 I believe which is wider for the larger engines.  There are some things I really like about it, as we sat in one at an Illinois show a few months back.  It would be a hard choice if we were going to buy Smeal whether I'd put one of these or a Spartan under it...  Found the chassis info sheet on Smeal's site as well.

http://www.smeal.com/DemoUnit.aspx?r=1136

http://www.smeal.com/uploads/Files/FilePath54.pdf

**Considering the side of the demo says S600 in big letters, I suspect my guess above is right.  The link below must be the other one.***

http://www.smeal.com/DemoUnit.aspx?r=1138

****I somehow missed Taylor's link above with the info on the Smeal chassis...  Didn't mean to duplicate.
You're right, the S450 and S600 represent the largest horsepower motors that can be fit in each one of the chassis, respectively.

I too like the S450/S600 chassis.  Low engine tunnel, good visibility, heavy duty interior.

Taylor Goodman
Quote:This is the Ferrara built Smeal chassis, S600 I believe which is wider for the larger engines.  There are some things I really like about it, as we sat in one at an Illinois show a few months back.  It would be a hard choice if we were going to buy Smeal whether I'd put one of these or a Spartan under it...  Found the chassis info sheet on Smeal's site as well.

http://www.smeal.com/DemoUnit.aspx?r=1136

http://www.smeal.com/uploads/Files/FilePath54.pdf

**Considering the side of the demo says S600 in big letters, I suspect my guess above is right.  The link below must be the other one.***

http://www.smeal.com/DemoUnit.aspx?r=1138
 With this being said and its considered a Smeal chassis can they even get a Spartan chassis any more. I thought that Spartan would not sell to any MFG that has their own Chassis. 
Definitely still can. I have a set of specs on my desk with a Gladiator chassis.

To just confirm, Pittsburgh did NOT place an order with Smeal.  That came from Smeal.

Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief