Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin, Tx Fire/Rescue
I wished I could have gotten pics of old Trucks 1 & 8. Everytime that I try to shot them they where either on a run or oos. They where Duplex/Quality/LTI

[quote name='rjtoc2' timestamp='1311557435' post='449748']

Does anyone have any photos of the "old" platforms that used to be a 1 and 8? I think there may have been a third one but I am not sure. Were they Grumman, maybe?

[/quote]
[quote name='Txfirephoto' timestamp='1311732568' post='450075']

I wished I could have gotten pics of old Trucks 1 & 8. Everytime that I try to shot them they where either on a run or oos. They where Duplex/Quality/LTI

[/quote]

Was there a third one or were there only two?
[quote name='TacSupport1' timestamp='1307311531' post='442890']

Here's a better shot of Quint 27 that I had previously posted...

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=75134]

[/quote]

The new emblem looks like an airbrushed cartoon that went horribly wrong. I liked the older marking better. Nice photo, BTW.
There where only two of them.

[quote name='rjtoc2' timestamp='1311735192' post='450077']

Was there a third one or were there only two?

[/quote]
Austin FD Brush 69

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
I see somebody went by the shops today. By the way when i was there earlier this week there were about 4 or 5 spartan quality's awaiting disposal as well as a Pierce Arrow Straight Stick. Did you happen to see if they were still around?

[quote name='TacSupport1' timestamp='1312562696' post='451517']

Austin FD Brush 69

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=77694]

[/quote]
[quote name='A/TCEMSPM' timestamp='1312564081' post='451518']

I see somebody went by the shops today. By the way when i was there earlier this week there were about 4 or 5 spartan quality's awaiting disposal as well as a Pierce Arrow Straight Stick. Did you happen to see if they were still around?

[/quote]

Seth Granville
Ex-ATCEMS

Seth Granville
First time looking at all the Austin rigs, why in recent years the Contenders vs Velocity's? Why did they not just stick with Contenders? Dont get me wrong I like them both! Not a big fan of the old Quantum's
Andy Thomas
Wichita Fire Dept. Photographer

Webmaster for:
KansasFireTrucks.com
[quote name='Andy Thomas' timestamp='1312572187' post='451523']

First time looking at all the Austin rigs, why in recent years the Contenders vs Velocity's? Why did they not just stick with Contenders? Dont get me wrong I like them both! Not a big fan of the old Quantum's

[/quote]

Andy,

The order of Contender's was placed because of the City's current financial situation at that time. They also had engines that ran on biodiesel, which is something that never panned out. The Contender had a limited engine size, and the cab was very cramped.

Austin currently has two Velocity's in service. One servess as Quint 18, a 105' heavy duty aerial quint, and the other is Quint 27, which is basically the same except for Q27 having a PUC pump. They will have three in service once Rescue 20 has all it's tools mounted.

The latest batch of Engines were on the Impel chasis. The Impel, in addition to the Velocitity's, offers more cab room, better visibilty and A/C, easier daily maintenance, and other features found on the Quantum for a significantly lower price. And better fuel economy, etc.

Austin did like the Quantums, however the Velocity and Impel chasis could offer similar benefits to the Quantum. In addition, Pierce can deliver an Impel or Velocity faster then the Quantum, and Pierce bid the Quantum much higher then the Impel/Velocity.

Seth
Seth Granville
[quote name='Txfirephoto' timestamp='1311732568' post='450075']

[/quote]

Austin, Tx Truck 8

1985 Duplex/LTI

100' tower

There was no indication that Quality was part of the production process on these rigs.

Photo taken by me, 1992.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Eric- awesome photo!
Seth Granville
Austin, Tx Truck 3

1991 Seagrave JB

100'

Photo by me, 1992, on the grounds of the State Capitol.

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Austin had quite a few Seagraves.

Top:

Engine 3

1984 Seagrave PB

1250/500

Bottom:

Engine 4

1982 Seagrave PB

1250/500

Photos by me, 1992

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
In 1996 Austin received some pumpers and heavy rescues from Saulsbury.

Austin, Tx E6

1996 Spartan Gladiator/Saulsbury #295070

1500/500/35f-A

Photo by me, 1996

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Rescue 21

1996 Freightliner FL-112/Saulsbury #294066

Heavy Rescue

Photo by me, 1996

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Engine 21 was one of the first Spartan/Quality pumpers. As part of the HazMat team it had additional foam and chemical capabilities

Austin, Tx E-21

1991 Spartan/Quality

1250/500/60f/150 pounds dry chem

Photo by me, 1992    
Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Austin, Tx E-25

1987 Duplex/Quality

1250/500

Photo by me, 1992

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Top:

Austin, Tx E-20

1979 Seagrave

1250/500

Bottom:

Austin, Tx T-20

1979 Seagrave SR #J75217

100'

Photos by me, 1992

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
It's sad that Seagrave faded from the area. I feel that they could give Pierce and Crimson a run for their money. Great to see the shots of the older rigs. Especially since Austin's Engine spec's really haven't changed much in years, even through the Quantums, Contenders, Velocity's, and Impel's. Body and pump all pretty much the same.

Plus, Austin FD was a loyal Seagrave customer for decades, dating back as far as the 20's:

http://www.kintera.org/site/c.gdJIKGNpFq...Engine.htm
Seth Granville