Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin, Tx Fire/Rescue
[quote name='TacSupport1' timestamp='1312849190' post='451957']

It's sad that Seagrave faded from the area. I feel that they could give Pierce and Crimson a run for their money. Great to see the shots of the older rigs. Especially since Austin's Engine spec's really haven't changed much in years, even through the Quantums, Contenders, Velocity's, and Impel's. Body and pump all pretty much the same.

Plus, Austin FD was a loyal Seagrave customer for decades, dating back as far as the 20's:

http://www.kintera.org/site/c.gdJIKGNpFq...Engine.htm

[/quote]

If I remember correctly, Seagrave was one of the few manufacturers that would bid on Austin's specs. Supposedly, Austin was very fickle and wanted all of their pumpers to have multi-agent capability. Many folks didn't want to deal with the labor-intensive warranty work.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Austin, Tx Reserve Engine 901

1976 ALF Pioneer II

1250/500

Photo by me, 1992

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Austin, Tx Reserve T-901

1977 Seagrave SR

100'

Photo by me, 1992

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Austin, Tx Reserve T-902

1976 ALF Century

100'

Photo by me, 1992

Attached Files Image(s)

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Austin, Tx T-25

1981 Seagrave

100'

Photo by me, 1992

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Austin, Tx T-30

1986 Duplex/LTI

100'

Photo by me, 1992

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Austin, Tx T-31

1988 Pierce Arrow

105'

Photo by me, 1992

Eric Hansen

Grand Prairie, Texas
Awesome classic photos, Eric! Thank you for sharing them with us. Cool to see how the apparatus progressed and the some that didn't.
Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Austin, Texas Fire Department

Rescue 20 (South Austin)

2011 Pierce Impel XM/Pierce

Job# 24130

Seth Granville
My Photos: x635Photos.com 
Shift Commander

2007 Ford F-250

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 21

2002 Pierce Quantum

1500/500/50F

Ex-Engine 28

Sorry no Job #

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 33

2003 Pierce Quantum

1500/500/50F

Job # 13693-01

Ex-Engine 40

Attached Files Image(s)

Engine 40

2007 Pierce Quantum

1500/1000/50F

Job # 18966-04

Attached Files Image(s)

Ladder 31

2001 Pierce Dash 105'

Job # 13122

Ex-Ladder 17

Attached Files Image(s)

Rescue 14

2005 Pierce Quantum

Job # 17308

Attached Files Image(s)

Is Engine 21 still considered a Spec Ops Company? And was the Spec Ops responsibility the reason behind the rig swap between E21 and E28?

And finally, where are the Rescue Co.'s assigned in the AFD? And are the Engine Companies in house Spec Ops trained also?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

www.staffordfirerescue.org

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' timestamp='1320621279' post='462918']

Is Engine 21 still considered a Spec Ops Company? And was the Spec Ops responsibility the reason behind the rig swap between E21 and E28?

And finally, where are the Rescue Co.'s assigned in the AFD? And are the Engine Companies in house Spec Ops trained also?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

The Spec Ops Houses are currently Station 1, 14, 20, and 28. 21 is no longer a Spec Ops house, they swapped with 28. The rescues are at 14, 20, and 28. The Engines are Spec Ops as well as the rescue cos. only ride with two
Any reason for the different size rescue rigs? 28's has the biggest one it seems and 14's seems the smallest.

With a 2-man crew, whats the running assignments for the rescues? Do they always run with their in-house Engine Co.? And are the in-house trucks or quints Spec Ops also?

Thanks in advance.
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com
[quote name='Ladder 68' timestamp='1320640596' post='462981']

Any reason for the different size rescue rigs? 28's has the biggest one it seems and 14's seems the smallest.

With a 2-man crew, whats the running assignments for the rescues? Do they always run with their in-house Engine Co.? And are the in-house trucks or quints Spec Ops also?

Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

The Closest Rescue is assigned on Every Box Alarm, They all carry extrication tools so they can be assigned to Pin-ins, Usually if that is the case the engine will follow, if the rescue is closest the engine usually is as well and Pin ins get at a minimum 2 units with tools (ladders quints or rescues) and at least one engine. As for the size of the rescues I can't explain that, they carry the same basic complement of things like meters, cameras and what not but I know each station has some specialty equipment others don't, Rescue 14 Has the majority of the Haz-Mat, Rescue 28 Stores a majority of the Lumber for shoring and I am not sure what 20s specialty is, perhaps high angle with Station 1. Station 1, which does not have a rescue is kinda the Jack of all trades stuff, there are 2 engines and a quint assigned there and they respond on almost every specialized rescue in the City.

The Rescue companies are only housed with engines, no Ladders or Quints share quarters with them. On Fireground assignments, the rescues normally take division leads or do monitoring, they do not run in the traditional sense of a rescue or Squad company that functions like a truck on a fireground.
Outstanding information.......greatly appreciated. Never knew they ran with a 2-man crew....
Larry Di Camillo

Fire Chief

Stafford Fire Department

Engineer/Operator

Houston Fire Department

Ladder Co. 68 "A"

www.firehouse68.com