Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Las Vegas Valley Apparatus
In PA.....

Police uses red and blue, typically in a half and half configuration with some white to the front mixed in and sometimes some amber to the rear.

Fire and EMS uses mostly red.  Typically with some white to the front and some amber to the rear mixed in.  EMS has some additional regulations in addition to the motor vehicle code from the DOH.  Ambulances are limited to one forward facing white light, but can use 2 if they are in a lightbar.  They are supposedly limited to 2 rear facing amber lights, but I commonly see units with 3.  Some utilize amber to the front, but not more than 2.

Fire and EMS department members can utilize blue lights (with no siren) on their POVs, but doing so does not enable them to disregard any laws like actual emergency vehicles can.  Up to 3 Chief Officers of Volunteer Fire and/or EMS departments can utilize red lights and sirens on their POV and are recognized as an emergency vehicle when doing so.

Amber only is tow trucks, DPW and other service type vehicles.
Nice pic

NORTH LAS VEGAS FIRE DEPARTMENT

RESCUE 51

[Image: NORTHLASVEGASRESCUE519_zps92ef8ee6.jpg]

[Image: NORTHLASVEGASRESCUE511_zps811ce8a1.jpg]

[Image: NORTHLASVEGASRESCUE515_zps3cc0b11c.jpg]

[Image: NORTHLASVEGASRESCUE514_zps186da76f.jpg]

Dave
The law in Georgia stipulates that blue lights are only authorized on law enforcement vehicles, but there are several fire departments in the State that are using blue lights on the rear of their apparatus.  These are usually the "upper rear blocking lights" and are only lit when the parking brake is applied.  Most of these FD's spend a considerable time on Interstate highways in heavy traffic areas.  I know of no complaints by law enforcement about them.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

In relation the blue lights on rear of rigs, I believe the DOT and NFPA require them. When my dept. ordered the last 2 engines, we didn't have a choice and was told we had to hve them.

DOT has no bearing on it. NFPA standard calls for amber while parked. Blue is just a recognized color by NFPA but not required

Sorry about the DOT involvement, guess I was given wrong info, thanks for clearing things up.

Hey all been a while since I posted but I was able to get a couple of pictures today of Clark County Fire Department's Truck 16 which a brand new rig.

Here is the information from the Pierce Website

Clark County - 75' Aluminum Ladder

This New 75' Quantum PUC is Clark County Fire's first. Its shorter wheelbase will make maneuvering on the busy Las Vegas strip easier.

<div>Delivery Date: October 07, 2013
Job Number: 26622
Sales Organization: Hughes Fire Equipment, Inc.
</div>

Truck Details
<div>
<div>
<div>Pump: PUC
Tank: Water
Tank Size: 500 gallons
Generator: Harrison hydraulic
Safety: Command Zone™, Electronic Stability Control, Hands-Free SCBA Brackets, PS6™ Seats, Side Roll Protection system, TAK-4® independent front suspension, VLH® Caps
</div>

<div>Category: Aerials
Model Type: PUC Aerials
Chassis: Quantum®
Body: 75' Aluminum Ladder
Engine: Detroit Diesel
Horse Power: 500 hp
</div>
</div>
</div>
[Image: DSC_0037_zps9442b196.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0039_zps3b4b1330.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0040_zps02f8a79b.jpg]

Sorry about the quality I only had my cell phone as I was coming from work.

Dave
Quote:DOT has no bearing on it. NFPA standard calls for amber while parked. Blue is just a recognized color by NFPA but not required

Late to the posting party, just thought that I would clarify that NFPA allows for amber to the rear when blocking right-of-way, but does not require it.
Taylor Goodman
Captain - Henrico County (VA) Division of Fire
Fire Chief - Huguenot VFD, Powhatan, VA
Quote: 

Late to the posting party, just thought that I would clarify that NFPA allows for amber to the rear when blocking right-of-way, but does not require it.
I'm late to the party too.  I'm fairly sure amber has been used historically to meet the lumens requirement from NFPA, i.e. yellow is brighter for a given lamp than red, which is brighter than blue.  If you look at demo rigs, they'll have typically the cheapest lighting package permissible from a particular lighting company to NFPA's minimum standard.  When you added blue, you typically had to add it in addition to other lights to meet the lumens standard.  This is less that case now with the prevalence of LED lighting as opposed to halogen and strobe.  I ran into this a lot when selling fire apparatus.

Just spent the day in Wisconsin and it always find it odd that all of their fire apparatus are red lighting when in Illinois we use just about everything (red, blue, green, white).  Plenty of folks do green on a front flasher to emulate Chicago.  Not judging but it takes me a moment to realize why.

We use predominately Red in Indiana, a lot of departments use Red and White to the front, and Red and Amber to the rear,it really just varies from department to department. Indiana seems to not really care what a department uses in the way of lights. The problem that I've noticed going from department to department, is a lot of people don't know what's out there, and don't try anything new, therefore you see a lot of JUST RED.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Starting to see some blue lights appearing in Ontario Fire Departments.  Ottawa Fire, the chief and some of the deputies have red and blue lights, while Mississippi Mills, a rural department just outside Ottawa, both their tankers run red/blue lightbars.

Quote:How does the fire service in the USA authorization to use blue lights in the light bars.

In Canada the only ones that can use blue in the light bars are RCMP, DNR, DFO, Sheriff's Dept. and city/town police.

The fire service has to be all red.
I moved out to Henderson in June to live on the property that I work at as a Maintenance Tech. On Weds Henderson Fire was on property for a medical call at the building next to mine. Here is Engine 94

[Image: 20140917_180034_zpsa5946d30.jpg]

Dave
Quote: 

Just spent the day in Wisconsin and it always find it odd that all of their fire apparatus are red lighting when in Illinois we use just about everything (red, blue, green, white).  Plenty of folks do green on a front flasher to emulate Chicago.  Not judging but it takes me a moment to realize why.

Wisconsin statutes govern what colors can be used by certain agencies. Red and Blue is strictly for law enforcement in WI. Red and Amber only can be used by tow trucks, shops/maintenance can only use Amber, and fire/EMs can use red, white, and amber.

Since blue is law enforcement only, it freaks me out sometimes to see blue on a fire truck or ambulance...Smile

Jason Knecht
Fire Inspector
Township Fire Dept., Inc.
Eau Claire, WI
Dave
The guys were great and when I asked if the rig could be pulled on the apron they jumped at the chance to do it.

[Image: GEDC0279_zpsb08b7364.jpg]

[Image: GEDC0280_zps61b60438.jpg]

[Image: GEDC0282_zps461160b6.jpg]

[Image: GEDC0283_zpsd58ea42d.jpg]

[Image: GEDC0284_zps2428f2d8.jpg]

[Image: GEDC0285_zps4a67c8a4.jpg]

[Image: GEDC0286_zps7b4f4358.jpg]

Dave
Dave
When the Engineer of Engine 1 saw that I wanted to take pictures of Truck 1 he offered to pull it out for me. I jumped at the chance and not wanting to cause any major disruption I would have been happy to get pictures of it on the front apron but he drove it around to the rear of the station for better pictures.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/davebutcher2015/media/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/TRUCK%201/GEDC0297_zpsf9402d85.jpg.html">[Image: GEDC0297_zpsf9402d85.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/davebutcher2015/media/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/TRUCK%201/GEDC0296_zpsfb239cef.jpg.html">[Image: GEDC0296_zpsfb239cef.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/davebutcher2015/media/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/TRUCK%201/GEDC0295_zps4b273456.jpg.html">[Image: GEDC0295_zps4b273456.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/davebutcher2015/media/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/TRUCK%201/GEDC0294_zpsc33123e4.jpg.html">[Image: GEDC0294_zpsc33123e4.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/davebutcher2015/media/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/TRUCK%201/GEDC0293_zps806a312e.jpg.html">[Image: GEDC0293_zps806a312e.jpg]</a>

Thanks for looking guys.

Dave
I was lucky enough to get a couple pictures and a video of Rescue 301 before they went out on a call

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/davebutcher2015/media/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/RESCUE%20301/GEDC0273_zps6e8929d8.jpg.html">[Image: GEDC0273_zps6e8929d8.jpg]</a>

The firefighter walking to the rig is wearing a pink breast cancer t shirt that most of the guys were wearing when I was at Station 1.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/davebutcher2015/media/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/RESCUE%20301/GEDC0276_zps7298f3b4.jpg.html">[Image: GEDC0276_zps7298f3b4.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s402/davebutcher2015/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/RESCUE%20301/GEDC0278_zps5bf51382.mp4">http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s402/davebutcher2015/LAS%20VEGAS%20FIRE%20RESCUE/RESCUE%20301/th_GEDC0278_zps5bf51382.mp4</a>

Dave
The North Las Vegas Fire Department of Clark County still uses this 1999 Pierce Quantum 1500/500/61" telesqurt as a reserve.