[Image: img005.jpg]

[Image: img007.jpg]

[Image: img008.jpg]
[Image: img009.jpg]

[Image: img010.jpg]

[Image: img011.jpg]

[Image: img012-1.jpg]
is it in service there or in parts?
The tractor is the only thing left. I remember seeing it in FAJ.
[quote name='Richard_L_Dean_07405' date='06 March 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1267922068' post='368357']

I believe that the two Hendrickson's were shot by the original Hershey chocolate plant by the looks of the building in the background. Unfortunately they say it's days are numbered as the company wants to move production "south of the border" which would end like 6,000 union jobs. Besides the main plant, there are several other candy plants in Hershey owned by the company including Reese's.

[/quote]

I photographed the Hershey Pirsch and Snorkel at Founder's Hall of the Milton Hershey School. This school was founded by M. S. Hershey and is funded by a trust that he established. In addition to the main plant and Reese's, there is only one other candy manufacturing facility in town. This is a modern, fully-automated plant known as West Hershey. Several other buildings house various offices, the tech center, and several warehouses. I am not sure who 'they' might be, but the Hershey Trust Company, which owns the controlling interest in The Hershey Company, is strongly committed to keeping manufacturing facilities in Hershey and thereby continuing the operation of the school.

Richard Rudisill

Trustee and Life Member

Hershey Fire Company
[quote name='Shoop' date='06 March 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1267924918' post='368368']

[Image: img004.jpg]

[Image: img005.jpg]

[Image: img007.jpg]

[Image: img008.jpg]

[/quote]

The Carbon engine is from Westmoreland County, long gone, unknown whereabouts. The L model from Fort Allen is in a junk yard down south. I saw it on a web site.

Nice job Shoop, keep them coming.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
[quote name='Shoop' date='06 March 2010 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1267924959' post='368369']

[Image: img009.jpg]

[Image: img010.jpg]

[Image: img011.jpg]

[Image: img012-1.jpg]

[/quote]

The Ford City open cab CF is still in Ford City. No longer in use as an engine. It has trash pumps on it and responds to calls where flooding exists. This is the engine that New Kensington based Engine 3 off of. The West Kittanning LaFrance is still in service.
Ed Saliba Jr.

1st Assistant Chief

City of New Kensington Bureau of Fire
I.S.O. Class 4 Department
That 700 Series ladder from Belle Valley has had an interesting life. I believe there are a few minor errors to the info on the pic. As I recall, it's a 1949 model and it came from either Warren or Bradford. Also, it has an 85' stick, not a 75'. Belle Valley purchased it in the 1970's and ran it "as is" for a while. In 1980, a refurb was done that included a 900 Series canopy cab and rear compartments. It was also repainted to Belle Valley's orange paint scheme. In 1989, it was refurbed again. A Century cab and larger rear compartments, along with a diesel engine were the major changes. The color scheme was updated to the current cream/orange. Several years ago, it was replaced by a Sutphen platform and placed in reserve. I have shots of both refurbed versions that I can post tomorrow.
Notes on the Hershey apparatus:

1969 Hahn--Went to the Four-C FD in Arab, Alabama. The last photos I saw of it in service there still had the Hershey lettering on the front.

1978 Pirsch--This was operated by the Lebanon County, PA Department of Emergency Services Hazmat for several years. They repainted it blue and white to match their other rigs. Sold to a farmer in York County, PA, reportedly to use for spraying. Offered for sale on e-bay last year, but apparently not sold. Seen by one of our members in a barn in York County about two months ago.

1980 Snorkel--Sold to the Liberty FC of Lykens, PA and then to the Lyons Fire District in Colorado where it was repainted red and white. I had noticed it for sale again, but have not determined its current location.

Photos of the Pirsch in Lebanon and the Snorkel in Lykens can be seen in the Hershey Classics gallery at Firewagonphoto.com.
[quote name='OPEN CAB MACK' date='06 March 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1267932898' post='368402']

The Carbon engine is from Westmoreland County, long gone, unknown whereabouts. The L model from Fort Allen is in a junk yard down south. I saw it on a web site.

Nice job Shoop, keep them coming.

[/quote]the 1970 wlf was last seen sitting behind the sun valley fire co(monroe,co,pa)it is no longer there.
Patrick,

Excellent shots. Info on the rigs I know.

Bruce

Minquas – Downingtown, PA

1948 Autocar C-50/U.S. Fire Apparatus, 7 man sedan cab, 750 Hale pto/200, referred to as a squad. Purchased by the borough. It was sold out of the fire service to Ted Waltz of Downingtown. Still had in 2009.

1949 Autocar/U.S. Fire Apparatus, full cab, 750/250, purchased by the borough for $13,500, housed on 10/14/49. The company retained this piece and had it restored. It is used as a parade piece.

Cheltenham

1965 Mack C-95, canopy cab, 1000/500, one of twins, first diesel pumpers in the area, first co.apparatus painted white, in 1980 sold to fire service in Risaraldi ,Columbia, South America

1965 Mack C-95, canopy cab, 1000/500, in 1980 sold to fire service in Risaraldi, Columbia, South America

Empire – Pottstown

1949 Mack 85LS-1358, open cab conv., 750/300, $23,348, equipped with $350 portable turret nozzle donated by ladies auxiliary in 1951, booster reel on each side in open compartment above running board before rear fender, carried several large portable floodlights on top of body, Roto-Ray warning lights mounted on post at front of body behind driver-later replaced with 360 degree Beacon Ray light, in 1993 sold to Congressman Curt Weldon for $4500-used as parade piece for political purposes-U.S.Congress 7th District-Delaware Co.,PA, chassis no.1358

North End – Pottstown

1957 Maxim, semi-cab conv., 750 gpm, repowered with diesel motor prior to 1982, first truck-purchased new-painted all red-repainted yellow in 70s, double broad plated bumper
Bruce W. Anderson

Historian

Southeastern PA Region
A couple notes.....

Ogontz FC also had twin Mack C-95's (1000/500). One went to Fleetwood, PA, the other to Peach County, GA. The Fleetwood rig was retired and sold to a collector. The Peach County rig was rolled and sits behind PCFD Station 2.

The Erie Ward LaFrance was one of two they operated. This was 80-428, the 1970 1000/500 that originally ran as Engine 3. The other, 80-303 was a 1969 1500/500 that ran as Engine 1 and was later sold to Franklin Twp., PA. It currently sits in Erie, now owned by a collector.

The Paxtonia ALF TDA went through many changes over the years. In the photo that was posted, it is a 1980 ALF tractor (x-FDNY E-216) and the 1969 ALF 100' trailer (x-Rochester, NY). The original 1969 tractor had been replaced. Sometime later, a different ALF 100' trailer (x-Philly) replaced the original trailer. Also, while on Paxtonia, they had a Mack pumper, I'm not sure which one, that was glidered into their Pierce Arrow heavy rescue.

Good stuff, by the way. I'm enjoying seeing the older stuff, especially from NW PA.
[quote name='mgk110' date='07 March 2010 - 04:34 AM' timestamp='1267953289' post='368426']

The Fort Allen Mack L was quartered at a substation on Arona Rd. next to the Pa. Turnpike. Also in the substation was a 700 ALF pumper, also painted in lime. The substation didn't last too long, the building is still there but is no longer fire station.

[/quote]

I found it at a cemetary just outside Charlotte, NC about a year or so ago. It is posted in the relics thread. Last time I was by there it was gone though.
[quote name='mgk110' date='07 March 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1267975722' post='368443']

The Mack L or the ALF?

[/quote]

The Mack L. Sorry about that.
[quote name='readingpafire' date='04 March 2010 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1267749372' post='368050']

Bruce, I'll have to get with you at some point. Some of Al's information is incorrect. Ironically, I had just began corresponding with him about a month or so before he died. I wondered what had happened when the emails stopped being answered.

for instance, Engine 12 was front line until 1994. That is when the city redeployed the manpower to 2 firefighters on the rigs.

[/quote]

Engines 2 and 12 were sort of like floater rigs. They were routinely placed O.O.S. and the FF relocated as needed. This made being assigned to these two rigs somewhat unpleasant because you never knew where you would end up even though the positions were bid jobs. Oh the old days. LOL
[quote name='Shoop' date='03 March 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1267674805' post='367914']

Last 5.

[Image: img988.jpg]

[Image: img989.jpg]

[Image: img990.jpg]

[Image: img991.jpg]

[Image: img993.jpg]

[/quote]

The 1976 Hahn that was Engine 11 had a 750 water tank, not 500 as someone else stated. The only 750 tank we ever had. The Mack that was Engine 7 ran from the Washington Station with Ladder 2. What is really amusing is that I drove and also rode to fires on every one of these Reading trucks that you have posted. The last 5 here and the ones in the other post. That means two things. #1 great experiences. #2 I'm getting freakin old. AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)