Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotted at the KME plant . . .
And that, my friends, is what the phrase "lack of accountability" means. It also explains why good people get frustrated so quickly on truck committees, and decline to participate in future ones. The end result is that both the department and the municipality suffer . . . In this case, potentially for years.
Quote:Pierce may have been low priced in your area, but not everywhere.  They are typically higher.  A lot of pricing can be related to the specs.  Pierce can usually build a rig cheaper than others when it is a Pierce-based spec.  If Pierce has a good dealership in the area, which your area did, they will sell a lot of rigs, many of which will be spec'd as a Pierce.  Grumman low-bid everything the last couple years they were in business, just to keep the factory open and people working.  Corporate had already decided to pull the plug.

I never said that Grumman built an inferior product.  Most that I have seen over the years were solid, dependable rigs.  I also believe that KME builds a much better product than they did years ago.  Remember, in many cases, the dealer sets the price, not the factory.  Some dealers choose to make money by volume sales rather than on only a few customers.  And yes, some of us will only buy Pierce!

I agree!  Such is the nature of the apparatus industry.  Nothing is carved in stone.
The word "Did" hit the nail on the head
Quote:Dave, can you explain your statement about the CPFD only purchasing Pierce?  Are you loyal to them based on quality, dealer support, pricing, or some other factor?

Actually, when I said "some of us", I was referring to me, not CPFD, but then, I write the specs.....

In reality, a lot of it has to do with our preference for Detroit Diesels.  We have had great service out of them since 1978 and the two Cummins-powered pumpers we did get stuck with (1989 and 1992) were crap!  Since Pierce has an exclusive with Detroit....

Our situation differs from most others when it comes to taxpayers.  We protect about 225,000 people on a daily basis.  Only 14,000 of them live in our city.  The rest are transient.  Most of CP's tax base comes from the large amount of commercial property we protect, or from sales tax generated at that little airport across the Interstate.  The revenue from the "impact tax" charged at our 35 hotels brings in more than 5 Million/year alone.  Each year, CP brings in more revenue than they spend, a substantial amount more.  Our "Homestead exemption" for property tax is the highest in the State.  Money is not an issue for us.

We at CPFD feel that we have a responsibility to provide the best we can for those we protect, be it residents or visitors.  Pierce builds what we want and the way we want it.  We beat the crap out of our apparatus (5500 runs/year, 2 stations) and the Pierce rigs can take it better than those other brands we see in nearby departments.  We have developed a great relationship with the local dealer as well.  His service facility is just over an hour away and he has a fleet of service trucks.  We are happy with Pierce and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Quote: 

and winding down with my retirement in 9 days
Congratulations, Chief!  May you enjoy it for many years!

Chief, would you be willing to share specs for your pumpers? I'm curious as to how you word them and how detailed they are....I, too, have seen us fall prey to poorly written specs! Thanks for all of the info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I never have a problem sharing our specifications with other departments . . . With one caveat: What's right for us may not be right for you. I'm sure you know your departments needs better than I do - how many personnel you respond with, the size and makeup of your district, your water supply situation, etc., etc. A 2000 gpm engine with 4 cross lays and a 55' telescoping boom may make zero sense for your department. On the other hand, looking at our specs may give you some general hints as to how you can arrange and structure your own. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send them along.

Dave Reeves
Congratulations on your upcoming retirement Chief Dave. Enjoy every minute of it, as you sure have earned it. Stay occupied with something and don't just sit down and do nothing.

John Hinant
Retired Member of Richmond VA Fire Bureau

October 25, 1858 - October 25, 2020 = 162 years old
The sixth oldest paid, documented, Fire Department in the United States
First established in 1782

"In God We Trust - All Others We Take For Granted"
KME offered a  five year warranty where the other big manufacturer would only give two.  I was very impressed with the staff at the factory as they stopped the assembly to make a change when we were doing a final on one of our three pumps.  Its funny how people hated our previous manufacturer until we got KME and then the old manufacturer became the Rolls Royce of fire trucks. Good luck with your new apparatus.  

Currently sitting out on the balcony of my suite at the 55 on Broadway, the deluxe annex of The Inn at Jim Thorpe. If you're ever down at KME, this is where you want to stay. Enjoying a nice Caol Ila scotch and a Partagas #1 cigar with some long-time friends. Talking fire trucks and just soaking up a delightful evening after a good meal, looking forward to the next 2 days at the KME factory on our final inspection of the first of two new Syracuse engines. A preliminary lock- see was very promising. Pictures to follow tomorrow.

Life is good, my friends. This is my 94th and final factory inspection trip for Syracuse fire apparatus. All of them have been interesting, most have been educational, a very few have been traumatic. I wouldn't want to have missed any of them. I have been richly blessed in my life, and I'm just smart enough to know it. I've been able to travel all over the country to just about any manufacturer you can name over the last 40+ years, many of whom are unfortunately no longer with us. Retirement is only a few days away,and I'm ready. The realty is, "my" fire department started to disappear about ten years ago. That's the department I'll miss.

It's been a great ride.
3PM Today . . . Lookin' good!

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/image_zpse473de9c.jpg.html'>[Image: image_zpse473de9c.jpg]</a>
....and another:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/image_zps67ad6408.jpg.html'>[Image: image_zps67ad6408.jpg]</a>
Looks good Chief. Any shots of the cab?
Looks like the return of the federal free-roller to the 'cuse was short (well 5 or 6 units) lived.

Guys not like 'em, or they just get cut?

Congrats on retiring. Hope we'll still see you from time to time around the web.
Rob Atwater

Lieutenant

Derry Fire

Engine 4/Truck 4

Derry, NH
We probably could have stretched a bit to include the Federal, but even as tradition-bound as the fire service is, it's getting harder and harder to justify a $1400 starter motor. The reality is, (A) The rigs we put them on, the crews don't always use them. (B) Electronic siren, motor-driven siren, low-level nuclear blast . . . It doesn't matter, the brain-dead city motorists don't move over anyway. © I don't care about any of that, I still like 'em. Oh, well.

We're back at the factory briefly this morning, I will get a few cab shots if the light is good enough. It's almost completely Line-X finished (like the spray-on pickup bed liner stuff), pretty rugged. Hoping to head home this afternoon. Monday the 9th is my last day.
Chief

Congrats on your retirement.  More time to enjoy your fire apparatus hobby.

I do have to share your sentiments about the change in fire departments.  It is no longer being able to do the job, and more about saying youi can do the job.

I point to the demise of the CF Mack as the starting point for this paradigm change.

Good Luck and enjoy yourself
Nice looking engines, thanks for the pics! Enjoy the retirement. And a big thank you for all the posts you've made over the years concerning the Syracuse FD and apparatus in general. You always go into great detail about the process and thinking behind the decisions. Makes for great reading.

Here is an interior shot of the cab:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/image_zps1c6620d7.jpg.html'>[Image: image_zps1c6620d7.jpg]</a>
.....From the other side:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/image_zpsbc7799bb.jpg.html'>[Image: image_zpsbc7799bb.jpg]</a>
....and looking toward the front:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://s5.photobucket.com/user/fyreline/media/image_zpsa3c33cfb.jpg.html'>[Image: image_zpsa3c33cfb.jpg]</a>
Terribly ugly vehicles wearing the handsome Syracuse livery, like a bum in a tuxedo. I hope they serve the men well though.