Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GLIAFAA 16th Annual Frankenmuth Muster 7-27-13
While they didn't stay around for long after the parade, the guys from Bay City brought down their Engine 5, a 1988 Pierce Dash 1250 gpm 500 gwt pumper.  It has an interesting mix of old and new technology in the exterior lighting.

Attached Files Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
Next up was this 1959 Ford F800 Bean 750 gpm 500 gwt  ex-Dakota IL pumper.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A.J.Ramming
And the final one for now was this 1945 Ford American 350 gpm frt mt 200 gwt  ex-Vermontville pumper.

Attached Files Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
Thanks for posting AJ!
1960 N905 N905 Marion, Illinois IL 1000/500 C910PKO 3-31-60 American La France

Quote:The 1960 ALF 900 #N905 1000 gpm 500 gwt  ex-Stonefort IL Engine 1 is another regular participant.
1978 6108 CE-17-6108 Romulus Twp., Michigan MI 1500/750 Century 9-8-78 American La France

Quote:Next up was this 1978 ALF Century #CE-17-6108 1500 gpm 750 gwt fictional Romulus Hts MI Engine 351.  The current owner couldn't provide me with the history on this rig, but he thought that it came from Harrison Twp MI.  Anyone else know?
Thanks for the updates on the two ALFs,

A.J.

A.J.Ramming
Quote:,,,,Not sure where it served and the current owner is the fourth person to own this rig and didn't know its history....  

Quote:....The current owner couldn't provide me with the history on this rig.....

It's a shame that all of this history is lost. I understand why departments scrape the name off the side, but to me a fire truck that is without its history and identity is missing a major part of what fire trucks are all about. I love to look at old fire trucks at these musters, but it saddens me to see a nice old truck with some made up, sometimes ridiculous name on the side of it, and no one can tell me what community the truck was once the pride of.   
John Kenealy

[url="http://www.cnyfiretrucks.com"]CNYFiretrucks.com: Over 5200 photos of apparatus from over 1000 New York State Departments![/url]

[Image: IMAG0400.jpg] New York
Buy a rig and your feelings may change. I felt the same way until I bought my tiller. It now is labeled for my fictitious department. It is a shame though when an owner doesn't know the history of their own rig.
hopefully someone will capture the national SPAAMFAA summer convention in NJ this weekend in the same fashion as done here in this post

Quote: 

It's a shame that all of this history is lost. I understand why departments scrape the name off the side, but to me a fire truck that is without its history and identity is missing a major part of what fire trucks are all about. I love to look at old fire trucks at these musters, but it saddens me to see a nice old truck with some made up, sometimes ridiculous name on the side of it, and no one can tell me what community the truck was once the pride of.   
Sorry Pat, I agree with John on this one 110%. I guess it's better if someone saves a rig from going to the scrap heap and puts "Ma and Pa's Fire Dept" on it, but I really hate seeing this, especially on apparatus that is pre-1970s. If someone wants to do that to the boxy rigs that are now becoming antiques (I think it's 1988 and older now?) okay, but seeing that done to a really classic rig like a 700 Series ALF or an Seagrave Anniversary model makes me cringe. If you want to have a fictitious fire dept, make up a nice magnetic sign and put it over the original lettering so the history is preserved.  

Quote:Sorry Pat, I agree with John on this one 110%. I guess it's better if someone saves a rig from going to the scrap heap and puts "Ma and Pa's Fire Dept" on it, but I really hate seeing this, especially on apparatus that is pre-1970s. If someone wants to do that to the boxy rigs that are now becoming antiques (I think it's 1988 and older now?) okay, but seeing that done to a really classic rig like a 700 Series ALF or an Seagrave Anniversary model makes me cringe. If you want to have a fictitious fire dept, make up a nice magnetic sign and put it over the original lettering so the history is preserved.  
I can see both sides of this, but when I complete my rig, it will have little black peel & stick letters that say U.S AIR FORCE 78L481 on the doors, just like it did back in 1978!
Well,it's time to finish up the parade.

Next up , 1945 Ford American 350 gpm frt mt 200 gwt  ex-Vermontville MI pumper.

Attached Files Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
Next up, a 1981 ALF Century CE-7323 1500 gpm 500 gwt  ex-Hutchinson MN Engine 239.  While this rig didn't have the original lettering, the owner was able to provide some of the history on this nice pumper.

Attached Files Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
Then came this 1953 Seagrave Anniversary 500 B 1000 gpm 300 gwt ex-Kokomo IN Engine 3.  Another really clean rig.

Attached Files Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
I love to see different colored fire apparatus, and this green and white 1973 Mack CF600 #1484 1000 gpm 750 gwt ex-Clover Hill VFC VA Engine 172 really fits the bill.

A.J.Ramming
Jumping from the '70's back to the '20's, the next rig is this unusual 1929 Chevrolet Jaeger 250 gpm frt mt 40 Chemical  (fictional) Wildwood Farms pumper.  The Jaeger pump setup is really unique as the pump is chain driven on the front and the suction side is actually in the rear of the pump.

Attached Files Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
Next up was the other aerial at the muster, a 1924 Ahrens-Fox 75-6-1 #2004 75' TDA ex-Kokomo IN ladder.  With all of the folks riding on this rig, it really had to work hard to make it up the inclines along the parade route.

A.J.Ramming
Next up was another perennial participant, this  1948 ALF 700 #L3613 750 gpm 300 gwt  ex-Grandville MI pumper.

A.J.Ramming
Next up was a Canadian rig, this 1972 Ford C900 King-Seagrave #71039 640 igpm 500 gwt 100F  ex-Polysar Rubber  Sarnia ON Pump 40 foam pumper.  The participation by our Canadian friends is always good this event, despite Frankenmuth being a good distance from the US-Canadian border at Port Huron or Detroit.

A.J.Ramming