Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pierce 100th Anniversary Parade 7-13-2013
Quote:This paint scheme was used on some Pierce bicentenial demos. There is a Ford Squrt or telesqurt in New Jersey which was origionally done this way.
Yes, it belonged to Gloucester City.  I photographed it in the early 1990's, but it was already white/red.  The one in the ad Doc showed in post #30 was the Minuteman I was talking about.
<sub>Quantum,Ugly since 1995.</sub>
I swear I'm not trying to continue to get us off of topic, but no sense in starting a new thread over it while we're talking about it- didn't someone post a photo of the Quantum prototype here sometime back? I was wanting to say it was Midnight Blue, it look signifigantly different than the final product.

Trav!

Travis- Mill Twp. Fire Dept. Marion, IN.
Quote:I swear I'm not trying to continue to get us off of topic, but no sense in starting a new thread over it while we're talking about it- didn't someone post a photo of the Quantum prototype here sometime back? I was wanting to say it was Midnight Blue, it look signifigantly different than the final product.

Trav!
The original Quantum prototype, Job Number E-8847, did look different than the production models.  It toured the show circuit as a cab/chassis unit.  Prior to being sold, the nose piece was replaced with a production style version and a pumper body added, along with a white/red paint job.  It was sold to New Martinsville, WV and later sold to the Southwest Ranches FD in Broward County, FL.

The Belgium, WI Quantum carries Job Number E-9284 and was the first one sold and delivered to a customer, in 1995.  Several more early production models were built as demo's, E-8884, later sold to Vero Beach, FL, E-8947, E-9024, later sold to Cottonwood, AZ, E-9025, later sold to the Fox Valley Technical College in Neenah, WI, and E-9026, later sold to Reynolds Store, VA.  All of these were built in 1995, but not sold/delivered until 1996 or 1997.
Quote:Next in line was one of several Honolulu rigs.  There were a whole bunch more sitting arpound the plant nearing completetion.

Hmmm - Honolulu going away from Quantums after all these years. I wonder if they need to cut down on money, size or both?
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Well it's time to finish up the parade today.

Here were the next rigs in the parade, starting with another antique

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A.J.Ramming
Next up

A.J.Ramming
Those were followed by another Honolulu rig and a second one from St. Johns

Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
Next up were a couple of Oshkosh badged rigs heading to China.  There were probably another 10 pumper and 5 rescues parked around the plant that were nearly, if not totally, completed.  Because Oshkosh is a recognized name in China, it was easier to sell that brand than try and introduce the Pierce brand there.

A.J.Ramming
The next ones in line

A.J.Ramming
The next rigs in line include another Oshkosh for China, as well as a pumper headed to South Korea, and a really nice Quantum rescue

A.J.Ramming
Then came these rigs, including another one of the Honolulu rigs

Image(s)

A.J.Ramming
And here are the last two rigs, including the Univeristy of Wisconsin's unique Pierce ALF.

Hope you enjoyed these images.

A.J.Ramming
For more and larger images of the vehicles in the parade, go to my Fotki folder here: http://public.fotki.com/ajr48098/pierce-...niversary/

Thanks,

A.J.

A.J.Ramming
Nice coverage of this event; but, I have to wonder that since Pierce built their 1st rig in 1939, why wasn't there anything older than the mid-1970's? They couldn't even find an old Pierce-bodied Snorkel?
I wondered this myself.  Being a member of SPAAMFAA and the local Michigan chapter I asked one of the Pierce PR guys walking around if they put out a call for antiques.  He gave me a long winded answer that basically said no, talking about liabilities, lack of interest from antique owners and within company, etc..  This event was more for their plant employees and their families. 

I also learned that I am not a "normal fire buff" as I was requested to quit taking so many pictures inside the plant as I walked through on the self-guided plant tour.  "Normal fire buffs don't take pictures of the things you're photographing,"  I was told by two Pierce staff guys that approached me and pulled me off to the side.  In addition to the photographing the build sheets taped to the rigs as they are assembly which showed what department the rig was being built for, I also happen to build models so the detail pictures of things like the chassis wiring and plumbing, also with the pump and associated plumbing, are of interest to me.  I also was interested in the engine/trans buildup area where the two assemblies come together and are dressed before being placed in the chassis.  Pretty hard to see the details on the engine, trans, or pump when it's in the chassis and covered by the cab and pump house it once it's delivered.  They also inquired as to where I was from (the Detroit area) and who I worked for (been retired for 7 years), and even though I had my local Great Lakes Interntational Antique Automotive Fire Apparatyus cap on, they asked what club I belonged to.  The fact that I was willing to drive 500+ miles each way to attend the event didn't seem to pase them.  So I complied and put away my camera and just walked around for a couple of hours. I guess I'm not normal as I took over 500 images of just the parade before going to the plant.

Derspite that, I had an enjoyable day before the wife and I headed back home.

A.J.Ramming
maxwell48098,  Sorry for the Headaches you incurred @ Pierce.... BUT,I THANK YOU for bringing the parade to myself in TX.,as I couldn't have made it!! fd141

Quote:I wondered this myself.  Being a member of SPAAMFAA and the local Michigan chapter I asked one of the Pierce PR guys walking around if they put out a call for antiques.  He gave me a long winded answer that basically said no, talking about liabilities, lack of interest from antique owners and within company, etc..  This event was more for their plant employees and their families. 

I also learned that I am not a "normal fire buff" as I was requested to quit taking so many pictures inside the plant as I walked through on the self-guided plant tour.  "Normal fire buffs don't take pictures of the things you're photographing,"  I was told by two Pierce staff guys that approached me and pulled me off to the side.  In addition to the photographing the build sheets taped to the rigs as they are assembly which showed what department the rig was being built for, I also happen to build models so the detail pictures of things like the chassis wiring and plumbing, also with the pump and associated plumbing, are of interest to me.  I also was interested in the engine/trans buildup area where the two assemblies come together and are dressed before being placed in the chassis.  Pretty hard to see the details on the engine, trans, or pump when it's in the chassis and covered by the cab and pump house it once it's delivered.  They also inquired as to where I was from (the Detroit area) and who I worked for (been retired for 7 years), and even though I had my local Great Lakes Interntational Antique Automotive Fire Apparatyus cap on, they asked what club I belonged to.  The fact that I was willing to drive 500+ miles each way to attend the event didn't seem to pase them.  So I complied and put away my camera and just walked around for a couple of hours. I guess I'm not normal as I took over 500 images of just the parade before going to the plant.

Derspite that, I had an enjoyable day before the wife and I headed back home.
What a corporate copout! "Lets celebrate 100 years, but only acknowledge the last 40 years..."

As for their in-plant paranoia, ironic that they have no problem dealing with China, but a domestic fire buff with a camera scares them to death.
I toured the Pierce plant on Thursday before the Saturday 100th anniversary event (as part of the IFBA convention). Our guide told us, that when Chinese representatives come in for a tour of the facility, they hide all the military vehicles. 

Quote:What a corporate copout! "Lets celebrate 100 years, but only acknowledge the last 40 years..."

As for their in-plant paranoia, ironic that they have no problem dealing with China, but a domestic fire buff with a camera scares them to death.

Doc, I believe Pierce has only become a force in the fire apparatus industry nationwide in the last 40 or 50 years.  While there are many existing examples of 100 year old Mack, ALF's and Seagraves, I have never seen a 100 year old Pierce fire truck.  Anyone who knows more about Pierce can correct me if I am wrong.