Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Side shot of Engine 3

John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

I had better luck with the ladder; they actually pulled it out for me.

Maui Ladder 3 - 2003(?) Pierce Dash 1500/300/100' RMA w/All Steer (they actually said it works pretty well now that it's finally been fixed), S/N #14411

Named Keka'a, which stands for black rock, a famous lava outcropping at Ka'anapali, just north of Lahaina.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Quote: 

Thanks Bryce - That's great information.  I'll update the postings to reflect the correct identifiers.  Of all the islands, Kauai stations were the easiest to find (essentially on the main roads) but the crews were sometimes at nearby businesses, etc... It was sometimes hard to track them down.  BTW - I assume this is the one-lane bridge that you were referring to north of Hanalei?

Actually, no, that's not the bridge.  The one I'm referring to is just to the east of Hanalei.  It's also technically east of Station 1, but only because it's where the highway backtracks after making a big loop down the hill from where you pass Station 1.  

The one I'm referring to is here: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!dat...7e11&fid=5.  It's got a 15 ton weight limit.  As you can see, there's a wooden deck.  Driving across it in a rental car -- which I'm sure you did -- makes you realize it's kinda rickety.

The one you posted is further up the road here: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!dat...7e11&fid=5.

Before they built Station 8, Kauai's Stations were pretty easy to remember.  They went 1-7, counterclockwise around the island, from north to south.  
Quote: 

Actually, no, that's not the bridge.  The one I'm referring to is just to the east of Hanalei.  It's also technically east of Station 1, but only because it's where the highway backtracks after making a big loop down the hill from where you pass Station 1.  

The one I'm referring to is here: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!dat...7e11&fid=5.  It's got a 15 ton weight limit.  As you can see, there's a wooden deck.  Driving across it in a rental car -- which I'm sure you did -- makes you realize it's kinda rickety.

The one you posted is further up the road here: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!dat...7e11&fid=5.

Before they built Station 8, Kauai's Stations were pretty easy to remember.  They went 1-7, counterclockwise around the island, from north to south.  

Right - I remember the one, at the bottom of the hill...  Thanks!
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Continuing on...

I don't know the designation, so I'll just call this Maui Utility 3.  It's used to pull the boat at Station 3.

Early 2000's Ford F-250 4x4

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Maui Boat 3

28' Radon rescue boat Ka'alani.  Launched from the marina close to Station 3.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

They also have a Tatra (Czech) 6x6 tanker at Station 3, similar to what the BLM and San Diego FD use on the mainland.  It was out on driver training when I was there, so I didn't get a picture of it.

Next up was Station 6 in Kihei (key-hey).  This is on the coast in sort of the middle of Maui, so it's easy to get to places from there.

Kihei is a busy beach town with tons of traffic, but a huge beach that runs for a couple of miles.

Maui Engine 6 - 2004 Pierce Dash 1500/1000 S/N #16022-01, named Kihei Puko'a

The crew at Station 6 was great; they asked where I wanted the rig positioned, etc... Really friendly.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

The working end of Engine 6

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Station 14 is the next station I made it to, which is in Wailea, immediately south of Kihei.  Wailea is a resort community, with tons of condos, major resorts, golf courses, etc... 

I had bad timing going to this station.  Everyone was getting ready to sit down to lunch so the Captain wouldn't interrupt that to move anything outside.  I had no time to go back, so bay photos it is.  Too bad, because I really wanted a photo of their Pierce MM Tower.

Maui Engine 14 - 2002 Pierce Dash 1500/1000(?) S/N #13111  Named Ho'oikaika, which, as near as I can tell, means bodybuilding or exercise.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

I apologize for these photos ahead of time - There is no way to make a photo work of a tower, sitting in the bay.  But, I gave it the old college try...

Maui Tower 14 - 2003 Pierce Dash 2000/300/95' MM Tower S/N #13311 - Named Pi'ilani, who was a powerful 16th Century Maui Tribal Chief (as far as I can determine).

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

More pieced together photos of Maui Tower 14...

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Continuing with Station 14, they have the only red fire apparatus on Maui.  It came from a department on the mainland after it had been wrecked and rebuilt.  From what I was told, this rig is close to being replaced by a new rig, at which time it will be sold.

Maui Tanker 14 - 2005 Peterbilt/E-One 1500/3000(?) S/N #18429

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Tanker 14 - Working end

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Not sure what it's called, so I'll just call it "Rescue 14" - 201x Ford F-350 - It pulls a watercraft (Yamaha WaveRunner) for ocean rescues.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

The last unit at Station 14 was Battalion Chief 1.  20xx Chevy Tahoe.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Quote:Kauai Station 7 is in Waimea, west of Hanapepe.  It is the farthest west station on the south side of the island.

Kauai Engine 7 - Pierce Dash 1500/1000, S/N 19513 (Pierce folks, please help me with the year on this).

[Image: attachicon.gif]Kauai Engine 7 (2), resized.jpg

I show this as a 2008 Dash 1500/750.. I really miss living in the islands. Too bad I was not shooting then but I was only 7 when I moved there so surfing was way more important :-)
All photos contained in this post are © Steven "Ash" Lindquist unless otherwise noted.

[url="http://usafirepix.net"]My Photo Collection Website[/url]
Quote:Kauai Station 8 is the Kaiakea station, just north of Kapaa on the eastern coast.

It runs an Engine, Brush and the Island's Hazmat rig.

Kauai Engine 8 - Pierce Velocity 1500/1000, S/N 22635 (again, please help with the year)

[Image: attachicon.gif]Kauai Engine 8 (1), resized.jpg
I show this as a 2009 Pierce Velocity

All photos contained in this post are © Steven "Ash" Lindquist unless otherwise noted.

Quote:Kauai Hazmat 8 - Pierce Lance - unknown year or S/N, but I'm guessing mid-2000's.  I'm also thinking it probably doesn't go out much, either.  It was facing out a rear bay with lots of "stuff" around.

[Image: attachicon.gif]Kauai Hazmat 8 (2), resized.jpg
My records indicate Kauai acquired a HazMat unit on a Lance chassis in 2006 with S/N 17771

Quote:Note:  All of the Seagraves have a nameplate above the Seagrave logo on the front, which says:  "O'Neill".  Any idea what that means?  Dealer, maybe?

[Image: attachicon.gif]Kauai x-Engine 6 (3), resized.jpg

More than likely a reference to the clothing manufacturer that lots of surfers utilize would be my thought. Wetsuits, board shorts etc