Stillwater, Oklahoma F.D.
Good photos!

tHANKs
tHANKs
[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339007903' post='487560']

Stillwater Engine 1 (Unit 35)

2008 Ferrara Inferno 1500/1000

Production #BR1498

This and another identical rig were purchased used from Ferrara. It was rejected by it's original Department and returned to Ferrara for rehab, repainting and subsequent sale to Stillwater.

No one was really sure where it came from (Texas was speculated), but a couple of different people told me it was originally lime green.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=92232]

[/quote]

Fantastic Photos!!!! Glad to see the Ferrara's finely.

Sad to see Truck 2 only on special call now, I imagine the Quint at 3's stopped that. I was hoping they would staff Truck 2 fully when the ambulance departed, I guess as in the KC metro the Rescue Company won.

Yes both Ferrara pumpers were lime green. I will find out the department, can't remember a friend of mine was the sales rep on them. It was a really good deal for SFD. They basically got a two for one deal with repaint.

The SFD ambulance issue was a hot topic for a number of years. SFD cross staffed most of the fire units with the Ambulances. As the call volume increased over the years it lead to tough staffing and emergency response situations. This is what lead to the EMS being outsourced so the fire units could be fully staffed. The chief proposed a number of different options and this is the one the city choose. Now the Ambulance color debate, Chief Millukin now Fire Chief at Salina, KS. He is a retired District Chief from Wichita, KS FD and became Chief in Ponca City, OK he then left for the Chief's job a Stillwater. He was very well liked at WFD and SFD and did a number of positive things in both departments. He purchased the white over red Wheeled Coaches as the story goes in an effort to take SFD back to red. Red was SFD's original motorized color. However the members wanted to stay with their new tradition of solid white which they have had since the late 1940's. Thus the Sutphen was delivered in white.

Reserve Engine E\-One Sentry was delivered without the Q siren

Rescue 1 was delivered without the Q Siren.

The commercial Ford-F/ Smeals were always a mechanical nightmare. Very odd combination for a suburban department.

My favorite SFD rigs were the Seagrave K at Pumper 1 and the Ford C/Boardman/LTI 75ft at Ladder 2 now at Wagoneer, OK

Rumor was the fire poles were going to be reinstalled at Fire House 2 on the campus. The relationship between SFD and OSU was mending. Fire House 2 was built as a WPA building. It is a classic fire house and one of my personal favorites. Many, Many years ago any fireman in the state could reserve a room on the third floor and take courses thru OSU Fire Training on campus. The poles were not removed due to safety, they were removed due to a falling out between SFD and OSU over the student firemen program. When they were removed SFD moved into the watch office on the first floor and make shift living quarters were created behind the first bay or the bay at the east end. At that point SFD was not allowed to use the second and third floor. However they still used some portions. There is a fantastic hands on classroom lab on the rear of the fire house that is original to the fire house.

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
I would suggest that you post them and add "credit to unknown photographer" with each photo or one overall credit for all of them.

Scott

[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339023459' post='487607']

I have a bunch of old Stillwater FD pics in my collection (50's/60's/70's), but I couldn't begin to say who took them or where they even came from, so I'm a little hesitant to post them here. Any thoughts?

[/quote]
this one has a 250GPM pump with 300 gallons of water and a 30 gallon foam cell.

[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339008218' post='487561']

Stillwater Rescue 1

1997 Simon-Duplex/Saulsbury

I couldn't find a tag on this one, so I don't have a S/N.

This rig is cross-staffed with the Ladder at Station 1.

I was told that the Saulsbury body will probably be mounted on a new chassis in the future, since the Simon-Duplex chassis is pretty worn out, but the body is in good condition.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=92233]

[/quote]
Thanks for the background, Rick. That's pretty interesting stuff. From what I found out about Station 2, they do use some space on the 2nd Floor for the Officer's quarters/office, but they're pretty much limited to the first floor. I guess for the most part that the troops aren't crazy about the private ambo service. From what they told me they feel like customer service has been reduced by going private. LifeNet actually dispatches out of Texas, isn't consistent about calling SFD for response, doesn't know the area, etc, etc... I consider it a benefit that they got to keep the staffing, but I'm still thinking it doesn't sit well with the brothers.

Anyway, thanks again for the input. I don't get back to Stillwater very often, but it's fun to see the changes over the years.

John

[quote name='MFD 61 KS' timestamp='1339047606' post='487712']

Fantastic Photos!!!! Glad to see the Ferrara's finely.

Sad to see Truck 2 only on special call now, I imagine the Quint at 3's stopped that. I was hoping they would staff Truck 2 fully when the ambulance departed, I guess as in the KC metro the Rescue Company won.

Yes both Ferrara pumpers were lime green. I will find out the department, can't remember a friend of mine was the sales rep on them. It was a really good deal for SFD. They basically got a two for one deal with repaint.

The SFD ambulance issue was a hot topic for a number of years. SFD cross staffed most of the fire units with the Ambulances. As the call volume increased over the years it lead to tough staffing and emergency response situations. This is what lead to the EMS being outsourced so the fire units could be fully staffed. The chief proposed a number of different options and this is the one the city choose. Now the Ambulance color debate, Chief Millukin now Fire Chief at Salina, KS. He is a retired District Chief from Wichita, KS FD and became Chief in Ponca City, OK he then left for the Chief's job a Stillwater. He was very well liked at WFD and SFD and did a number of positive things in both departments. He purchased the white over red Wheeled Coaches as the story goes in an effort to take SFD back to red. Red was SFD's original motorized color. However the members wanted to stay with their new tradition of solid white which they have had since the late 1940's. Thus the Sutphen was delivered in white.

Reserve Engine E\-One Sentry was delivered without the Q siren

Rescue 1 was delivered without the Q Siren.

The commercial Ford-F/ Smeals were always a mechanical nightmare. Very odd combination for a suburban department.

My favorite SFD rigs were the Seagrave K at Pumper 1 and the Ford C/Boardman/LTI 75ft at Ladder 2 now at Wagoneer, OK

Rumor was the fire poles were going to be reinstalled at Fire House 2 on the campus. The relationship between SFD and OSU was mending. Fire House 2 was built as a WPA building. It is a classic fire house and one of my personal favorites. Many, Many years ago any fireman in the state could reserve a room on the third floor and take courses thru OSU Fire Training on campus. The poles were not removed due to safety, they were removed due to a falling out between SFD and OSU over the student firemen program. When they were removed SFD moved into the watch office on the first floor and make shift living quarters were created behind the first bay or the bay at the east end. At that point SFD was not allowed to use the second and third floor. However they still used some portions. There is a fantastic hands on classroom lab on the rear of the fire house that is original to the fire house.

Rick

[/quote]
John I.

Fire/EMS Dispatcher / EMT-B

Fire Apparatus Photographer / Hobbyist

www.fireapparatusphotos.com

www.flickr.com/image7801

Nikon D5600 (retired: Nikon D90) / Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
I'm always a little hesitant to post photos that aren't mine, but I wanted to share a few from my collection. I have had these at least 3 years, but I can't tell you who took them or where they came from. If anyone knows, I'll be glad to amend the credits. Otherwise, consider these as "Unknown photographer".

Stillwater Engine 7 - 1947 ALF 700 Series 1000/150

As far as I can tell, this rig still lives in Stillwater, in the hands of a local State Farm Insurance agent, I took this photo last week in Stillwater.

The Sireno light/siren was moved from the roof to the front of the cab (you can still see where it was mounted on the roof) and the rotating beacon was added, so I think it's the same rig.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Here are a couple of pumpers from back in history. Again, unknown photographer.

Unit 36 - 1959 ALF 900 Series 750/300. This was probably a very early series 900, since I believe 1958 was when they made the transition from 800 to 900.

I assume this was probably a reserve at Station 2 when this photo was taken (early 70's, I'm guessing).

1966 Seagrave 1250/300

This rig was probably the frontline engine at Station 2 when this photo was taken.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

After I determined who took this photo I found out that he had requested all his photos be removed from the site... Sorry about that.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

After I determined who took this photo I found out that he had requested all his photos be removed from the site... Sorry about that.
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Stillwater Truck 8

1950 ALF 700 Series mm aerial 250/150/85'

1966 Seagrave mm aerial 250/150/100'

Unknown photographer(s)
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

Boardman factory photo

Unit 38 - 1971 Ford C/Boardman 750/500

Unknown photographer
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339082180' post='487742']

I'm always a little hesitant to post photos that aren't mine, but I wanted to share a few from my collection. I have had these at least 3 years, but I can't tell you who took them or where they came from. If anyone knows, I'll be glad to amend the credits. Otherwise, consider these as "Credit to unknown photographer".

Stillwater Engine 7 - 1947 ALF 700 Series 1000/150

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=92309]

As far as I can tell, this rig still lives in Stillwater, in the hands of a local State Farm Insurance agent, I took this photo last week in Stillwater.

The Sireno light/siren was moved from the roof to the front of the cab (you can still see where it was mounted on the roof) and the rotating beacon was added, so I think it's the same rig.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=92310]

[/quote] Are you sure , note no 21/2 intake driver side in white and no 2nd 21/2 dicharge driver side in red ?
[quote name='B95MACKFIRE' timestamp='1339084701' post='487751']

Are you sure , note no 21/2 intake driver side in white and no 2nd 21/2 dicharge driver side in red ?

[/quote]

Luckily I took several photos all around, and I think you just couldn't see them in the photo I posted. The 2 1/2" was removed at some point, but the hole is still there...

By all accounts I can't come up with any reason why it's not that rig.

John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339085108' post='487753']

Luckily I took several photos all around, and I think you just couldn't see them in the photo I posted. The 2 1/2" was removed at some point, but the hole is still there...

By all accounts I can't come up with any reason why it's not that rig.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=92320]

[/quote] With the 2nd photos I think your right good job !
[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339007903' post='487560']

Stillwater Engine 1 (Unit 35)

2008 Ferrara Inferno 1500/1000

Production #BR1498

This and another identical rig were purchased used from Ferrara. It was rejected by it's original Department and returned to Ferrara for rehab, repainting and subsequent sale to Stillwater.

No one was really sure where it came from (Texas was speculated), but a couple of different people told me it was originally lime green.[/quote]

Both of these Ferrara's were spec'ed and built for the St. Tammany Parish Fire Protection District No. 4 in Mandeville, Louisiana (just north of New Orleans). Mandeville operated them for approximately one year but had repeated maintenance issues with them. Ferrara and Mandeville agreed to some type of "give back" and "refund" deal and Ferrara took possession of the nearly-new, little-used "hangar queens" while the Mandeville FD was refunded their money. Ferrara went on to repair the apparatus and sell them to Stillwater. Mandeville spec'ed and purchased two new apparatus from Pierce.

Mandeville, by the way, had been an all-Pierce FD for approximately 20 years. They are a small, career department that provides fire protection and EMS out of four (4) stations utilizing four (4) engines, three (3) ambulances, one (1) heavy rescue, and one (1) truck company. The only apparatus they operate that is not a Pierce is a 102' Sutphen mid-mount platform.

The Ferrara apparatus were originally painted whatever the "Ford" yellow is officially called. They had white roofs as well.
Great info, Ronnie. Thanks! Now the $50 question: Any photos from when they were in La.?

[quote name='rjtoc2' timestamp='1339090443' post='487775']

Both of these Ferrara's were spec'ed and built for the St. Tammany Parish Fire Protection District No. 4 in Mandeville, Louisiana (just north of New Orleans). Mandeville operated them for approximately one year but had repeated maintenance issues with them. Ferrara and Mandeville agreed to some type of "give back" and "refund" deal and Ferrara took possession of the nearly-new, little-used "hangar queens" while the Mandeville FD was refunded their money. Ferrara went on to repair the apparatus and sell them to Stillwater. Mandeville spec'ed and purchased two new apparatus from Pierce.

Mandeville, by the way, had been an all-Pierce FD for approximately 20 years. They are a small, career department that provides fire protection and EMS out of four (4) stations utilizing four (4) engines, three (3) ambulances, one (1) heavy rescue, and one (1) truck company. The only apparatus they operate that is not a Pierce is a 102' Sutphen mid-mount platform.

The Ferrara apparatus were originally painted whatever the "Ford" yellow is officially called. They had white roofs as well.

[/quote]
John I.

www.flickr.com/image7801

[quote name='Image7801' timestamp='1339083939' post='487749']

Last but not least, probably the most famous Stillwater rig is this one:

Stillwater Ladder 2

1976 Ford C/Boardman/LTI 750/200/75'

This rig served until 1996 when the Pierce Lance came online. I'm not sure when it was disposed of.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Credit to unknown photographer

[/quote]

I have heard the same about the Ambulance Service. It is always nice when the fire department can have control of both services fire and ambulance. I agree it makes for better service, more streamlined, and less red-tape in most instances.

There is a unique story behind the Ford/Wilson pumper and how Stillwater acquired it. Wilson I believe was a local builder in Arkansas.

The Ford-C/Boardman/LTI suffered a cab crushing injury from the Aerial Ladder if I remember right. It did some damage but not super severe however it took one of the red lights off.

Thanks for posting the Seagrave pumper. It reminds me of Lawrence, KS three solid RED 1967ish Seagrave's they were very similar.

Stay Safe,

Rick
Member: F.O.O.L.S of OZ, IAFF L2542

www.kansasfiretrucks.com

Rick Mosher
Olathe, Kansas Fire Department
Engine Co. 4
Metro Kansas City, Missouri
the 1950 ALF aerial was actually bought by the University, not the town. they later also bought a 1951 ALF pumper that was originally Mohnton, PA.